Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Linecoding that will work with Civil 3d and Trimble Access

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
thomas_mirzadeh
387 Views, 2 Replies

Need help with Linecoding that will work with Civil 3d and Trimble Access

We as a company are just now trying to join the 21st century and use automated linework. At a previous company, a former boss had us use the following format:

1,5000.00,5000.00,100.00,PEL,L

2,5000.00,5000.00,100.00,PEL,L

3,5000.00,5000.00,100.00,PEL,L

4,5000.00,5000.00,100.00,PEL,EL.

In Microstation or geopak, This type of format would somehow start a line (pavement edge left) at point 1 and connect points 2 and 3 and end the line at point 4.

Is something like this possible in using Trimble Access and Civil 3d 2010? I can come up with a code set that will work in Civil 3d but it wont create the lines in Trimble Access on the data collector map (it would be much easier to get the field guys wanting to use line codes if they can physically see them on screen). I can also come up with a set that will create the lines in Trimble Access but not in Civil 3d. There has to be way for both to work. Surely Microstation is not that far ahead.

Until I come up with a solution,I'll be spending countless hours connecting and drawing breakines one click at a time. Thanks ahead of time!

Aaron

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Jay_B
in reply to: thomas_mirzadeh

@thomas_mirzadeh wrote:

Until I come up with a solution,I'll be spending countless hours connecting and drawing breakines one click at a time.

Why do this? Look into the Civil 3d Survey Database and use it to bring in data in an automated fashion.

Set up some Point Styles and a Description Key Set.
Create some "Point Groups" in the template including one which is for EG surface creation. This Point Group will Automatically exclude the unwanted codes from Surface creation.
Create a Figure Prefix Database which controls the display of your Survey Figures and also allows you to specify whether or not the lines will be used as Breaklines in Surface creation.
Survey Field to Finish is a great place to get started as are the Survey Tutorials.
Sidenote: In the future please post Civil 3D related content in the Civil 3d General Forum

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 3
thomas_mirzadeh
in reply to: Jay_B

Well that's in a sense what i'm trying to accomplish.

However, it's going to require complete retraining our field crew on how they perform topographic surveys. At the moment they go out, shoot tops, toes, edges of roads, etc using the same codes zig zagging one cross section at a time meaning the numbers wont be in line. I still go in and figure it out the old fashioned way and connect the dots using written field notes.

I realize they are going to have to change the way they work. It would just be much easier to motivate them if I could come up with coding that works with both Trimble and Civil 3d. The coding above worked beautifully with microstation/geopak. Trimble Access and Civil 3d just seem to contradict each other when it comes to this.

I also just realized I put this in the General Autocad section and not Civil 3d.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost