AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

ross.warren.jr
Message 1 of 11 (4,397 Views)
Accepted Solution

.NET Framework Error on Start up of AutoCAD 2011 or 2012

4397 Views, 10 Replies
01-14-2012 01:19 PM

Dear Users and AutoDesk,

I first downloaded AutoCAD 2012 (32-bit) for use on Windows XP (SP3). It seemed to install just fine (my system meets the minimum requirements for RAM and is a Core 2 Duo). I did install the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 prior to installing AutoCAD (as recommended).

However, when I attempt to run AutoCAD, a dialog box comes up saying, "Application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission, contact your system administrator or use the Microsoft .Net Framework Configuration Tool. If click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit the application will close immediately. Requested registry access is not allowed."

Even if I choose "quit" AutoCAD 2012 will open anyway. But when I try accessing the AutoCAD drop down menu (the red "A" in the upper left corner), I get The AutoCAD Error Aborting dialog box, that says FATAL ERROR, unhandled e0434352h exception at 7c812afbh, and the program closes.

Later on, I tried the same thing with AutoCAD 2011, getting the same .NET Framework message (but it did not yield the fatal error). In both cases the ribbon menu and other menus do not load (which seems indicative of a .NET issue).

I did a search on the forums and found a couple messages regarding .NET framework errors and tried to address them by uninstalling AutoCAD, then doing the procedures to completely remove AutoCAD i.e., the deletion of folders, and the registry keys, then uninstalling all .NET framework versions and reinstalling them from new downloads via Microsoft's Knowledgebase web site.

None of that has helped to resolve this issue. I am the only user of the PC and I have full administrator rights, so I do not understand why .NET gives the error about "Requested registry access is not allowed." This is a home PC and none of the AutoCAD program is being pulled over a network.

I'm not a computer programmer or expert, just a user of AutoCAD. In the two forum pages was some information about using some tools that I simply did not understand (but those were more related to a networking issue with a .dll file).

I also tried to add the "/nohardware" after the AutoCAD target, in case it was my video card, but that yielded the same results of the .NET Framework Error.

I do not understand why no other program I have installed has reported these errors, only AutoCAD.

The frustrating thing is that just for the heck of it, I tired installing AutoCAD as a 30 day trial on a very old Dell 6000 lap top with only a Pentium M processor and 2 GB of RAM,. and lo and behold, it worked fine, showing the ribbon menu and options for the workspaces  (but runs too slowly to really use). So, I don't understand why I'm having so much trouble getting it to run on a far better PC.

Please help me to resolve this issue so I might use the program for learning purposes and to keep my existing skills intact while I am laid off and looking for a new job.

Note, I tried looking in the Administrative tools on my PC do not now see a Microsoft .NET Framework Configuration Tool. Apparently, even though I installed 4.0, it did not install a 4.0 Configuration Tool. And I do not understand what I need to do in order to grant AutoCAD 2012 the required permissions. When I chose "Fix Program" (back when I did have the Confuration Tool for 1.1 on my system before uninstalling it), AutoCAD is not in the list to choose. If this si the correct tool to use, how to I find and add it to my PC?

Please help, if you can. As you can imagine it is stressful enough to be laid off, and using a free academic version (BIG THANKS to Autodesk for allowing this!) seemed like a no-brainer, one afternoon kind of thing, but I've been fighting this now for over a week to no avail.

Thank you,

Ross Warren

FATAL ERROR: unhandled e0434352h Exception at 7c812afbh

Installation help page:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/index?siteID=123112&id=2714854&linkID=9240617

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/NET-Framework-Cleanup-Tool-for-Unhandled-Except...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/problem-installing-Autocad-2012/td-p/3287561

Some ideas (maybe):

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Installation-Licensing/Autocad-2012-crashes-on-boot-up-HELP/td-p/30084...

Beside corrupted .NET, often times this error could also relate to inadequate graphics cards/drivers for ACAD 2012.
You can check your video card and video drivers against Autodesk Certified Graphics Hardware list. in many cases disabling hardware acceleration can help with this error.

1. Right-click the ACAD 2012 icon on your desktop > Properties
2. By default the Target is: " "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2012 - English\acad.exe"”
3. Add a space and then /nohardware at the end, so the new Target would be:

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2012 - English\acad.exe"" /nohardware
4. Apply > OK > launch ACAD 2012

http://www.microsoft.com/net/

Install a new graphics card maybe?
Your current card is a low end AMD ATI X1300 with only 256 MB of RAM

These are the details from the first dialog box that pops up concerning Microsoft .NET Framework (the one that starts off about "Application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy..."

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Security.SecurityException: Requested registry access is not allowed.
   at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowSecurityException(ExceptionResource resource)
   at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.OpenSubKey(String name, Boolean writable)
   at Autodesk.AutoCAD.CustomMigrator.Migrator.SetHasMigrated(Migrator migrator, Int32 iValue)
   at Autodesk.AutoCAD.ADMigrator.MainForm.MainForm_Closed(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnClosed(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmClose(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
The Zone of the assembly that failed was:
MyComputer

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ADMigrator
    Assembly Version: 18.2.0.0
    Win32 Version: 18.2.51.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Autodesk/AutoCAD%202012%20-%20English/admigrator.exe
AdMigLib
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Autodesk/AutoCAD%202012%20-%20English/AdMigLib.DLL
AcMNUParser
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Autodesk/AutoCAD%202012%20-%20English/AcMNUParser.DLL
msvcm90
    Assembly Version: 9.0.30729.6161
    Win32 Version: 9.00.30729.6161
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/WinSxS/x86_Microsoft.VC90.CRT_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.6161_x-ww_31a54e43/msvcm90.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
AcCui
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Autodesk/AutoCAD%202012%20-%20English/AcCui.DLL
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
PresentationCore
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/PresentationCore/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/PresentationCore.dll
WindowsBase
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/WindowsBase/v4.0_4.0.0.0__31bf3856ad364e35/WindowsBase.dll
ADMigrator.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Autodesk/AutoCAD%202012%20-%20English/en-US/ADMigrator.resources.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another possible solution (other than reinstalling Windows XP?????):

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

I TRIED EVERYTHING, CHANGED THE PERMISSIONS ON REGISTRY SETTINGS, UNINSTALLED DOTNET FRAMEWORK, REINSTALLED DOTNET FRAMEWORK, TRIED MS KB ARTICLE 329291, RESEARCHED ON THE TECHNET, MSDN, GOOGLE, GAVE ADMINISTRATOR PERMISSIONS TO ASPNET ACCOUNT ETC ETC -- NO LUCK!!!

WELL FINALLY BEFORE TURNING THE COMPUTER OFF, I GAVE A LAST TRY AND BINGO!!! IT WORKED!!!

SOLUTION IS AS FOLLOW (THIS SOLUTION IS FOR DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT ONLY):

1. Give the ASPNET user permission to read the Security eventlog registry entry.

Run regedt32
Navigate to the following key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Security
Right click on this entry and select Permissions
Add the ASPNET user
Give it Read permission

NOTE: I find no "ASPNET user" in the listings.

2. Change settings in machine.config file (NOTE: I did not find any CONFIG folder or machine.config file)

Run Explorer
Navigate to WINDOWS or WINNT folder
Open Microsoft.NET folder
Open Framework folder
Open v1.1.4322 folder (folder name may be different, depending on what dotnet version is installed)
Open CONFIG folder
Open machine.config file using notepad (make a backup of this file first)
Locate processmodel tag (approx. at line 441)
Locate userName="machine" (approx. at line 452)
Change it to userName="SYSTEM"
Save and close the file
Close Explorer

3. Restart IIS

Run IISReset

THAT'S IT. HAPPY PROGRAMMING..

Ross Warren
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 11 (4,393 Views)

Re: .NET Framework Error on Start up of AutoCAD 2011 or 2012

01-14-2012 01:35 PM in reply to: ross.warren.jr

Hi,

what Frameworks do you have installed? As you run XP I would suggest to install the following versions:

... in this order. Plus after each Framework let Windows do an update, it will then install servicepacks and languagepacks that are available for your version.

It is a long process, right, but doing each single step carefully and spend a little bit more minutes you will be more happy having everything working then.

The step by step process for each Framework version is now:

• reboot the pc
  • login as admin
  • turn off antivirus-software (and defender and whatever you have installed of such type)
  • install Framework
  • reboot
  • login as admin
  • start Windows-update
  • let Windows update Framework with servicepacks and languagepacks
  • ....follow up with next framework-version up to 4.0

Additionally: you don't have anything installed on a network-drive? Because that also gives access right problems as dotNET-applications need special security settings to get loaded/started from a network drive.

Good luck, - alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
ross.warren.jr
Message 3 of 11 (4,392 Views)

01-14-2012 01:54 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks Alfred,

I have the following .NET Frameworks installed (but I'm not 100% sure that when I installed them, I had my virus software turned off - I didn't see that mentioned anywhere...just the recommendation of turning it off for installing AutoCAD).

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2

and

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

I installed the hot fixes as recommended by Microsoft, and upon later reboots, several security packs.

Not looking foward to uninstalling them all and then reinstalling them all again, but if that is what it takes, the I'll do it - making sure my Microsoft Security Essentials is turned off for real time checking.

I question if I need the older ones (ones older than say 3.5 SP1) for AutoCAD 2011 (which I would be very satisfied to get to run). I do know when I deleted 3.5 SP1, I ended up having to reload Firefox, but no other programs were affected.

Do you think it would be OK to only install the  Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and try it with AutoCAD 2011?

As far as I know, I am not pulling anything over a network share or drive. I do have some external hard drives connected and one is a mapped drive, but the AutoCAD installaition file I'm using is on the local C: drive. (I could disconnect all of them if necessary during the installation of the .Net Frameworks and AutoCAD 2011 if that would make a difference).

Anyway, thank you for the advice and help. I am going to wait and see if anyone else responds, but I might try all tonight. This is extremely frustrating for certain.

I still wonder how I can install a .NET Configuration Tool, in case someone could tell me how to use it to grant AutoCAD the required registry access permission. On my computer, the only one I had was for the older 1.1 version, and once I uninstalled it, I did not reinstall 1.1 and began with 2.0 SP2.

Sincerely,

Ross Warren

Ross Warren
ross.warren.jr
Message 4 of 11 (4,381 Views)

01-14-2012 04:21 PM in reply to: ross.warren.jr

Ah, Alfred,

I did all that and I still get the error about needing to give AutoCAD the required registry access permisson using the .NET Framework Configuration Tool.

I then uninstalled all the .NET Frameworks again, and uninstalled AutoCAD, and did the procedures to remove AutoCAD completely (manually), and rebooted.

I then ran the install of AutoCAD 2011 and let it install the .NET Framework version it wanted. But even then, I get the same .NET Framework error message. Arrgh!

So, if this is the real problem, can anyone tell me:

1. Which tool I need and where I can download it?

and

2. How to use this tool to grant AutoCAD the required registry access permission so it can run?

I am at my wits end with these .NET Framework problems. I sure wish they'd stayed with VBA instead.

Thanks for anyone's help in resolving this issue,

Ross Warren

Ross Warren
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 5 of 11 (4,370 Views)

01-15-2012 12:35 AM in reply to: ross.warren.jr

Hi,

sorry to hear it's not successful for now ;(

To the tool ==> you won't have a chance to use the tool if you don't know what to set. If you don't know the file or you don't know the network drive it checks you can't set the parameters for starting it.

I have looked to the error message once more and the following line:

at Autodesk.AutoCAD.CustomMigrator.Migrator.SetHasMigrated(Migrator migrator, Int32 iValue)

brings me to the following two ideas:

• what happens if you create a new Windows-user, login with that username and start AutoCAD?
  • what if you modify the installation and remove the option for "Migration" from the setup

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
ross.warren.jr
Message 6 of 11 (4,329 Views)

01-16-2012 01:51 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred had written:

• what happens if you create a new Windows-user, login with that username and start AutoCAD?
  • what if you modify the installation and remove the option for "Migration" from the setup

Alfred,

I took a "shotgun" approach due to my level of frustration - and was almost ready to strip the PC back to how it was out of the box and then trying it.

In one last ditch effort, I restored the PC to how it was before I installed AutoCAD, then went through the manual uninstall procedures to make sure the registry, temp folder, etc., were clean.

I then totally uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials (the reason was that even though I disabled it, a process kept coming up from it in the Task Manager, which was MsMpEng.exe. This process is actually part of Windows Defender, and I think Microsoft Security Essentials uses it in some way. So that is why I did a complete uninstall of it, which did get rid of that process popping up on its own)

I turned off my Firewall (just in case maybe it was interferring.)

Finally, I did as you suggested and when installing AutoCAD 2011, I chose a custom install and unchecked the box for Migration.

Then I installed AutoCAD 2011 (note that I had uninstalled all .NET Frameworks prior to installing AutoCAD, so I was just leaving it up to the AutoCAD installer to install whatever versions it is programmed to do).

Well, it did NOT work. When I tried to launch AutoCAD 2011, it still gave me the error about needing registry access permissions to be granted by the .NET Framework Configuration Tool.

In more last ditch frustration. I did as you suggested and created a new User account, and logged on with it, then attempted to run AutoCAD 2011 - and IT WORKED JUST FINE!

I really have no clue as to why AutoCAD would not run under the Adminstrator account that created it, but WILL run under another user. It just makes no sense to me. But I am glad it is working.

I very much appreciate your help in resolving this extremely aggravating issue. In fact, I might even try installing AutoCAD 2012 now and see if it will run under the new User account. But to be honest, I'm just happy to get AutoCAD 2011 running at this point.

If you or anyone else can give me (and future readers who might find these messages archived) some insight as to WHY this resolved my problem, I would be even more appreciative.

Do you think that if I had reformatted my PC and reinstalled the Operating System, that it might have helped, or would I still be forced to run it under a different user account?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH,

Ross Warren, Jr.

Ross Warren
ross.warren.jr
Message 7 of 11 (4,307 Views)

01-16-2012 09:07 PM in reply to: ross.warren.jr
After having thought about this a while longer, I wonder now....If I went back and did all the uninstallation routines all over again, and say I created another user account with full administrator rights and THEN installed AutoCAD 2011 or 2012 using it, would I then be able to run it using my "normal everyday" account? And would I find that once again, it would not run in the account that installed it? That still doesn't make any sense to me why this should be happening... Like I said I was just very happy to get it to run at all. Still, if someone more knowledgeable could explain this behavior to me (and to others), I'd appreciate it very much. Thank you.
Ross Warren
*Pro
ampster
Message 8 of 11 (4,291 Views)

01-17-2012 05:04 AM in reply to: ross.warren.jr

ross.warren.jr wrote:
say I created another user account with full administrator rights and THEN installed AutoCAD 2011 or 2012 using it, would I then be able to run it using my "normal everyday" account?.

That's what we do here, add the user to the Admin group and let them install.

ross.warren.jr
Message 9 of 11 (4,282 Views)

01-17-2012 08:22 AM in reply to: ross.warren.jr

ampster, I understand what you are saying, but the problem I had was that I had set up an account called "R Warren" on my PC which was an administrator account with full rights. I used that account to install AutoCAD, but when I tried running it using that same account, it kept giving me the dreaded .NET Framework Error as noted in the above postings.

But on Alfred's suggestion, I created a new user account, logged on with it, and then was able to run AutoCAD 2011 just fine.

It makes no sense to me that I can't run it using the full administrator account which installed it, but CAN run it using a new, even limited rights, account.

Obviously something is messed up somewhere, but I haven't a clue about why this should be. All I know is that it is related to the .NET Framework somehow not getting the registry access rights it needs.

As an experiment, I'm tempted to (first create a restore point) then unhide the REAL "Administrator" account so it shows up at the Windows XP system log on screen (you can Google how to do that), and use IT to install AutoCAD 2012 - and making sure to do a custom install and UNcheck the box for "Migration", as Alfred suggested.(And have to uninstall my anti-virus Microsoft Security Essentials again so that MsMpEng.exe process doesn't run, since disabling the real time scanning function in MSSE still allowed that process to run as shown in the Task Manager).

Then I wonder if it would let me run AutoCAD 2012 using my normal "Ross Warren" full administrator rights account or the "Limited_User" account that I have set up. (But would it then NOT work if logged on as the "real" Administrator account????

But then again, maybe I should just be happy I got AutoCAD 2011 to run and leave it alone. However, I was hoping to install and begin learning Revit too, but all this mess with installation problems gives me pause about trying it.

Thanks for your input...

Ross Warren
*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 10 of 11 (4,263 Views)

01-18-2012 01:37 AM in reply to: ross.warren.jr

Hi,

There is a lot of things that make sense or not, depending on some live around the operating system.

Installing as Admin, but does not work then / instead it works as "normal user"

Can occur if the admin has the rights to write wrong values to the registry ==> AutoCAD will not start then with this account. As a "normal user" will not have enough rights, he may be blocked writing "this problem into the registry" and so AutoCAD may stay alive.

Anyway ==> that there is some part in the registry or within the user-home-directory that get's written in a wrong way/wrong vaues may be a defect that we can't find at the moment on your pc.

What can you now try ... you can try to copy the content of all AutoCAD-specific directories (including from hidden directories)

C;\Users\<your norma user name>

to the home-folder of your admin account.

Next step is to find in the registry the part of AutoCAD-specific content (HKCU\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD) and also copy the content from the user-HKCU to the admin-HKCU

HTH, - alfred -

PS: I love your work and how detailed you log what you did, it's great to work with you!

Alfred NESWADBA

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube