SMD_Design
Message 1 of 5 (2,229 Views)
Accepted Solution

Monochrome plotting as colour?

2229 Views, 4 Replies
01-03-2012 05:03 AM

Hi,

Happy new year all!

I now use AutoCAD 2012, but used 2008 until recently.

For the first time since getting 2012 I've had to plot off some drawings that were created using 2008 and I've experieced the following problem:

The drawings I'm trying to plot all have named plot styles, all should plot in monochrome apart from 2 layers which I set to plot in colour. However, when I plot these in 2012 all drawings plot in colour and I just can't work out how to get the to plot in mono. I've checked all layouts and they're all set to 'Monochrome.stb'. I've also been back into 2008 & they still plot correctly in the old version with all the settings appearing to be the same.

Can anyone offer any idea as to why this is happening?

The only things I can think of that might give a clue is that 99% of the time I work with named plot styles, but the first and only project I've worked on since having 2012 was on a clients drawings which used colour table plot styles - could a setting I've changed there somewhere have caused this?

The other odd thing I noticed - I went back & opened a number of drawings created in 2008, all have the same issue apart from one which will plot in mono, but uses the 'monochrome.ctb'. So only seems to be an issue on drawings that used named plot styles.

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm all out of ideas.

Thanks,

Simon

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 5 (2,225 Views)

Re: Monochrome plotting as colour?

01-03-2012 06:03 AM in reply to: SMD_Design

Same rule applies to AutoCAD R2000 through R2012:

- CTB relies on screen color to assign pens.

- STB requires you to go the extra step and assign a STYLE to each layer, then each object if they are drawn BYLAYER, to use the pen you want when plotting). Did you do that? It would appear not.

- CONVERTSPTYLES command changes a DWG file from STB to CTB (and vice versa) and may be easier for you to use and get back to CTB styles unless you have a compelling reason to suddenly change.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
SMD_Design
Message 3 of 5 (2,220 Views)

01-03-2012 06:22 AM in reply to: pendean

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes the drawing had already been set up in 2008 with a STYLE set to each layer (the majority of layers are STYLE 1 - Monochrome, then I have 2 layers I need to appear in colour which are set to NORMAL. This all plots correctly when I use 2008, but if I open & try to plot in 2012 every layer plots in colour.

I do use CTB on some projects, but in this instance the drawings need to be set to a named plot style. I know I'll need to use named plot styles in future too, so I really want to try and work out why 2012 isn't letting me run named plot styles in Monochrome. CONVERTSPTYLES unfortunately doesn't help me in this instance.

Thanks again for any help,

Simon

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 5 (2,217 Views)

01-03-2012 06:27 AM in reply to: SMD_Design

"normal" may not be the correct definition in the STB file. Open the STB in 2012 and ensure it is set up exactly as your STB in 2008 is: don't go by STB file name alone makes it correct.

Also ensure you're PLOT dialog box has the PLOT WITH PLOT STYLES box checked.

And if you are still stuck, use ETRANSMIT command in both R2008 and R2012 to create a ZIP that bundles a sample DWG file with the prolbem and the STB file being used and someone here can look at both and basically do what I suggested above.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
SMD_Design
Message 5 of 5 (2,211 Views)

01-03-2012 07:27 AM in reply to: pendean

Good thinking! That's just really helped me work out what's been going wrong:

There turned out to be a minor difference between the 2 'monochrome.stb' files; the plotstyle name was 'Style_1' in 2008 and 'Style 1' in 2012. I changed the plotstyle name in 2012 to 'Style_1' and hey presto, it all plots correctly now.

It took me ages to spot that underscore.

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,

Simon

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube