AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

aaaaa69
Message 1 of 17 (3,412 Views)
Accepted Solution

Model Space not showing in Viewport

3412 Views, 16 Replies
03-23-2011 08:23 PM

Hello all,

Firstly if ive posted this in the wrong place please forgive me.

I am in desperate need for help from a learned Autocad community member:mansad:

I'm currently trialing Autocad 2011 student. I have successfully printed a couple of different drawings. However on this occasion, when i select new layout(3) in preparation to print, my drawing does not display in the viewport. All that appears is a grid. My drawing behaves normally in model and layouts 1 and 2.

I have not changed any settings from the default 2d drafting and annotation setup. I have read the autocad help and community forums till my head is ready to explode!

I have similar drawings that are successful in layout(3). As a last resort is there a way to export those settings from the successful drawings and import them into this problem drawing? What can i do to have my drawing appear in the viewport?

Any help or advice would earn you a friend for life!

April.

*Pro
nestly
Message 2 of 17 (3,401 Views)

Re: Model Space not showing in Viewport

03-23-2011 11:42 PM in reply to: aaaaa69

I suspect that you're only seeing the paper, and have not yet created any viewport(s) for that layout tab.

http://docs.autodesk.com/ACD/2011/ENU/filesAUG/WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-751b.htm

http://www.screencast.com/t/3rw4guxOsSg8

aaaaa69
Message 3 of 17 (3,387 Views)

03-24-2011 04:08 AM in reply to: nestly

O Nestly (warm comforting name by the way) :smileyhappy:,

If only that was the problem! Yes im definately making a viewport. Ive just done a total reinstall of autocad just to be sure someone here hasnt been playing with or broken something. I can say its a completely unchanged default autocad environment now.

If i start a new drawing the viewport works fine. My old drawings work fine. (Ive Checked)

There just seems to be something fundamentally wrong with this particular drawing. Though i dont know what it can be. It has been done as far as i can tell in exactly the same environment as the others have.

I wish there was more info i could give. Im not the ask questions on a forum type. Ive read, ive really tried and im stumped. im guessing this problem is going to take "someone who has been there done that" to solve it. :smileysad:

Though if you have any other ideas Nestly, Im all ears!

Contributor
JACERAC
Message 4 of 17 (3,384 Views)

03-24-2011 04:21 AM in reply to: aaaaa69

You might want to try going into the VP from paperspace and zoom all and also while in the VP from paperspace check your layers to make sure none are off or frozen (it happens sometimes)

*Pro
nestly
Message 5 of 17 (3,382 Views)

03-24-2011 04:24 AM in reply to: aaaaa69

Yep, try what JACERAC suggested, otherwise post the drawing so we can take a look at it.

aaaaa69
Message 6 of 17 (3,360 Views)

03-24-2011 06:28 AM in reply to: nestly

Here are the problem children! One is the drawing. The other is its title block. I use the same titleblock and resize it depending on the job.

My aim has been to set the Titleblock on A3 size paper. then have the Drawing set in a single viewport.

I have removed the property I.D text from the drawings and ill reinsert them after your diagnosis.

If you can get the two files together......or even a pdf .... i dont know what Ill do!

Good Luck!

Contributor
JACERAC
Message 7 of 17 (3,356 Views)

03-24-2011 06:44 AM in reply to: aaaaa69

Read my post...layers come in frozen...

Contributor
JACERAC
Message 8 of 17 (3,351 Views)

03-24-2011 06:51 AM in reply to: aaaaa69

Maybe a better way is to copy an existing layout tab instead of creating a new one...then modify that layout to what you need. Hope this was helpful. :smileyhappy:

aaaaa69
Message 9 of 17 (3,343 Views)

03-24-2011 07:11 AM in reply to: JACERAC

If frozen= little snow flake and little sun means thaw. Im totally thaw in all layers.

Is that what i should be checking?

If so im sunny everywhere.

I have bludgeoned them into layer 3 with copy and scaling. and saved as pdf.

All appears well in plot preview.

I hate not knowing what the problem is, and the fix. I will check much earlier in the drawing phase if things arent viewporting properly as opposed to leaving it till the end.

I would genuinely like to thank both you both for your time and your input. It means more to me than you know.

It means so much to have access to skilled, devoted and caring people such as yourselves.

If you are in Queensland Australia, Give me a shout. Beers on me.

Contributor
JACERAC
Message 10 of 17 (3,338 Views)

03-24-2011 07:24 AM in reply to: aaaaa69

When I opened the dwg you posted, I created a layout 3 tab, then went into model space from paper space via the VP. While you are in model space in that VP and drop down your layers (on the ribbon is what I use) you will see another column of snowflakes meant just for that VP. All of you layers appeared frozen there. When I thawed the layers, the drawing appeared.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube