AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

dmead
Message 1 of 10 (1,090 Views)
Accepted Solution

Missing Migrate Custom Settings dialogue box

1090 Views, 9 Replies
11-02-2011 09:13 AM

We are curently using ACAD2011.

I installed ACAD2012 but never got the Migrate custom settings box upon opening ACAD2012 for the 1st time.

I reviewed Autodesk Help that ensured me that I could also find it thru:

<start\...\Autodesk mech 2012\Migrate custom settings\migrate from a previous release>

Epic fail... all that showed up there was export and import autoCAD 2012 settings.

Where oh where could my migration tools box have gone?

Why is it not there? 

Does anyone out ther have an explanation?

Has this happened to you and what was your solution?

(FYI, this happened to us when we upgraded from 2010 to 2011 also but we thought we had done something wrong so we eventually just manually transferred files over. That was very time consuming and we do not want to perform that exercise again.) 

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 10 (1,077 Views)

Re: Missing Migrate Custom Settings dialogue box

11-03-2011 07:42 AM in reply to: dmead

Isn't that option only available if you performa CUSTOM and not a default installation?

Do you stil have 2011 install on the same PC that 2012 is installed on? The MIGRATE FROM A PREVIOUS VERSION does not work otherwise, is that the problem (now and back then)? See attached, it works fine.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
dmead
Message 3 of 10 (1,067 Views)

11-03-2011 10:13 AM in reply to: pendean

Don't know if it's available with a custom install. I've always used the default install. 

One would think that either way you would need to transfer custom settings from an ealier version on the same PC as I'm trying to do. It should give you the option or the new install program would recognize an existing autoCAD and prompt the migration tool automatically.

I believe there's something else going on though because I don't get the option to do this even when I go thru <start...Autodesk\migration Custom Settings> on my desktop.

Iv'e since manually tranferred all pertinent data from my 2011 to 2012. It all works fine, however, I would really like to know why this happenes for future reference.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 10 (1,064 Views)

11-03-2011 12:12 PM in reply to: dmead

Since you use Mech2012 perhaps there is more to it than plain AutoCAD 2012 where you are posting.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Product Support
bryce.thelin
Message 5 of 10 (1,021 Views)

12-02-2011 05:55 PM in reply to: dmead

The menu shortcut for migrating settings does not get installed with AutoCAD Mechanical 2012. Try double-clicking this file:

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Mechanical 2012\AdMigrator.exe

This should let you migrate settings. Please let me know if it works.

Bryce Thelin
Product Support
bryce.thelin
Message 6 of 10 (964 Views)

01-03-2012 03:46 PM in reply to: dmead

Hello dmead,

I wanted to follow up with you on this discussion thread. Please let me know if any of the above helped. If it did, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. Thank you!

Bryce Thelin
dmead
Message 7 of 10 (952 Views)

01-04-2012 05:31 AM in reply to: dmead

That's what I was looking for...

Gotta close Acad to run it but it worked.

Thanks.

andylaug
Message 8 of 10 (906 Views)

02-01-2012 04:32 PM in reply to: dmead
I have customized our autocad 2012 to include all our company custom toolbars & lisps that we have been developing through various subscription upgrades since version 14, tested the stability of the new customization, then closed autocad to migrate the custom settings using the NEW migration tool. Autocad generated a 5mb zip file that appears to be empty. When trying to import the customized file to another station, I get nothing...nada...not even a hiccup! I have never liked Autodesks migration utilities in the past for this reason...they've never worked predictably...I guess that's an ongoing problem. How difficult could it be to save a settings snapshot & pass that on to other machines??? I guess I'll resort to my usual method...manually creating a support directory with all required files, blowing away the autodesk crappy file call structure, then copying the entire custom file structure to the server for download to all stations and pointing these stations to this structure & profile. At least that's predictable. By the way...CUI customization is still an unstable tool. What program looses icons for "out-of-the-box tools" Autocad...only Autocad...I have never lost icons with competitor programs...maybe because they don't think of customers as beta testers!!!
andylaug
Message 9 of 10 (905 Views)

02-01-2012 04:36 PM in reply to: dmead

check with your IT guy and make sure that on first time opening of the software you have access to the DVD or an image from the server. All kinds of problems are created if this is not the case.

If you opened before having access to the original sofware, you'll be left with regedit or reinstall to fix. Way to go Autodesk!!! (sarcasm)

crystalp333
Message 10 of 10 (600 Views)

01-08-2013 10:59 AM in reply to: andylaug

Hi andylaug,

This may be to late to help you, but here is something just in case...  http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=14859214&linkID=9240617

Autocad migration settings in the .zip file are empty (blank)

Issue:

When you migrate your custom settings and you export them out in AutoCAD, you will get a 3.5 MB - 7 MB empty zip file.

To import and export your settings, you will need to go here:

Start > Program Files > Autodesk > AutoCAD > Migrate Custom Settings > Export AutoCAD 2010 Settings

Solution:
Using the default zip viewer in  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, the file will be empty (blank). You will need to download Winzip to view the contents of this file.
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.