AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
smanley
Message 1 of 7 (1,523 Views)

Missing Fonts

1523 Views, 6 Replies
06-02-2011 03:59 PM

Issue:

We randomly receive errors for undefined shapes upon  AutoCAD  startup.  Random mean it could happen on the 1st or 25thAutoCAD startup.

Our system:

AutoCAD MEP 2011 Suite

Network licensing and content/tool palette pathing

Windows 7

Sophos antivirus

Issue is happening to multiple users and multiple office locations.

Summary of things tried to date:

1. We have tried to narrow down when occurrence happens without much success.
    1. It randomly happens when opening with our customized profiles. We have tried modifying support paths and templates used without being able to pin down what is causing the problem.
    2. It also randomly happens when opening with the OTB (out of the box) profile.
    3. It randomly happens when either starting AutoCAD by double clicking on dwg file or using desktop startup icon.
    4. It randomly happens when using either our customized template or the OTB template.
    5. For some people it happens every time they open AutoCAD after restarting their computer. For some people it does not happen every time after restarting their computer – only randomly.
  2. Installed Update 2 as suggested. Restarted machine and opened AutoCAD with OTB Global profile 7 times before  receiving error.
  3. Our IT department tried suggestions in regards to Windows 7.
    1. Set UAC to never notify. – I was able to recreate the issue with UAC set to never notify..
    2. Full admin rights to fonts folder. - We do lock down the fonts folder on our network so users have read-only rights. This prevents them from making changes. As a test I gave the user full access to the fonts folder and was able to recreate the issue.
    3. Show system and hidden files. - I was able to recreate the issue with system and hidden files showing in folder options.
    4. Remove antivirus. - I was able to recreate the issue with the antivirus completely removed.
  4. After receiving the **Undefined shape error, if AutoCAD is closed and restarted the error will be resolved temporarily.

Any help would be appreciated.

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 2 of 7 (1,460 Views)

Re: Missing Fonts

06-15-2011 09:41 AM in reply to: smanley

Shape is not Font

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 3 of 7 (1,457 Views)

06-15-2011 09:45 AM in reply to: Patchy

And Shape files are set/defined per-file, not per-system: if your file needs a shape, and it cannot find it, you get the notification message.

BigFont uses SHP shape files.

SHP files can also be used in custom linetypes.

If your files come from outside sources, they are not sharing the mssing content with you. If they (files and templates) are internal to your office only, you have a user(s) bringing in blocks from outside or is using something "special" exclusive to them and not sharing.

Your various profiles may also be missing essential folders that contain these shape files you all need.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Valued Contributor
mlabell
Message 4 of 7 (1,338 Views)

08-10-2011 11:32 AM in reply to: pendean

Here is how to fix the Windows 7 x64 missing text issue in AutoCAD 2010-2012.  You will need to delete the following file, C:\Windows\Prefetch\PRESENTATIONFONTCACHE.EXE-3C65D73B.pf.  The prefetch file is getting manipulated in a way that will only fail with the presence of a network connection.  We are currently running the delete action with a logon script to prevent the issue from happening again.  Please Autodesk look into why this issue is happening there are many people that have reported the issue.  We had two programmers one Network admin and myself tied up on this issue for several weeks trying to troubleshoot all the nuances of this issue.

Mark LaBell, Jr.
Technical Leader
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
SSOE Group
www.linkedin.com/in/marklabelljr
Valued Contributor
mlabell
Message 5 of 7 (1,317 Views)

08-15-2011 06:51 AM in reply to: mlabell

Update, it appears that I got a little over-excited when posting.  Deleting the .pf file that I mentioned is a red herring.  Deleting it only temporarily prevents the issue from happening.  We are still focused on the PresentationFontCache.exe and not the .pf file as being the culprit, more to come when we have something a bit more concrete.

Mark LaBell, Jr.
Technical Leader
SSOE Group
Contributor
smanley
Message 6 of 7 (1,120 Views)

01-11-2012 07:16 AM in reply to: pendean

Thank you for your response. The issue is not a drawing specific issue but an overall issue and randomly happens upon starting AutoCAD. The only work around is to restart AutoCAD and then the font issue is temporarily resolved. The shape we use for our standard text is the basic out-of-the-box Simplex.shx which resides on the individual computer in the original Autodesk installation location. I did check prior to posting that the support file search path for that location had not been altered/deleted.

Valued Contributor
mlabell
Message 7 of 7 (1,114 Views)

01-11-2012 07:38 AM in reply to: smanley

From another post that I have been moderating with the same issue. 

"We are currently working directly with Autodesk development team on this issue now.  We have identified an exact process on creation of the issue and how make it happen on all computers with network connectivity.  We are now going through the process of finding what from the network side is creating the issue.  From what we have found through some extensive research this does happen in other programs and not just AutoCAD so it could be a Microsoft and WPF issue.

Some more information on our findings, we can get the issue on Win 7 with full Aero theme or in XP / Classic mode (and a variety of other admin, and compatibility modes).  It appears to be is an issue that happens only when connected to the network.  If you borrow a license and work offline everything displays normally.  We also found that you can connect via VPN to work on a networked version of AutoCAD and the issue does not repeat.  The issue only occurs when logging onto a network and all logon processes as part of the Microsoft environment take place."

From my last communication with the Dev team there looks to be some light at the end of the tunnel to this issue.  I know that they have been working very diligently on a fix and can't thank them enough.

Mark LaBell, Jr.
Technical Leader
SSOE Group
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.