AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Active Contributor
szenert
Message 1 of 4 (3,000 Views)

Local Profile Location

3000 Views, 3 Replies
04-14-2009 08:35 AM
While upgrading my customization from 2009 to 2010 I encountered an odd problem: profiles are no longer being stored where they used to be. When using AutoCAD 2009, profiles are saved in the location:

C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2009\R17.2\enu\Support\Profiles

Yet there is no C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2010 folder. I examined further and it looks like the profiles for AutoCAD 2010 are being stored at this location:

C:\Program Files\AutoCAD 2010\UserDataCache\Support\Profiles

However, when I created a test profile it didn't show up in this folder; the only thing there is the default "Unnamed Profile". I set my test profile to the current profile and closed AutoCAD 2010, then restarted my computer and ran AutoCAD 2010... the test profile loaded up immediately but there was still nothing in the folder.

So where, oh where, are my profiles being stored? If anyone knows then I'd greatly appreciate you sharing. Thank you.
**Master
dmfrazier
Message 2 of 4 (3,000 Views)

Re: Local Profile Location

04-14-2009 11:08 AM in reply to: szenert
(FYI: The "UserDataCache" folder is used by AutoCAD as a source of "out-of-the-box" files for setting itself up when a Windows user launches AutoCAD the first time.)

I do have the \Documents and Settings\...\Support\Profiles folder in my AutoCAD 2010 installation. (Which is just to say that AutoCAD does still use it under "normal" circumstances.)

Check your Support Files Search Paths (Options, Files tab). Are any of them pointing to 2009 folders?

When you installed 2010, did you "import" a profile saved from 2009? (Or did you use some other method of "migrating" your 2009 setup?) If so, AutoCAD may not have automatically adjusted the paths for the newer version (which it usually can't do if the paths are not "standard").

I believe the current profile is actually stored in the system registry, not on disc, unless you deliberately export it to an ARG (registry settings) file (which is a good idea for backup purposes).

I may be mistaken, but I don't think the "...\Support\Profiles\" folder stores "profiles" per se, anyway. The "AWS" files in those folders are registered as "AutoCAD Work Space" files, which suggests thay have more to do with workspaces than profiles. (Viewing one with Notepad reveals a lot of the contents appears to be workspace-related - mainly tool palette info.) My understanding had been that workspaces are stored in CUI (now CUIX) files. Perhaps the AWS files store Tool Palette-specific settings.

Hope you find something helpful in this diatribe.
Active Contributor
kevinsimmons1110
Message 3 of 4 (2,999 Views)

04-15-2009 05:08 PM in reply to: szenert
The OLD DEFAULT path used in 2009 for ALL USER files....

c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2009\enu etc...

The OLD DEFAULT path used in 2009 for the CURRENT USER files....

c:\Documents and Settings\CURRENT USER\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2009\enu\Support\Profiles

The NEW DEFAULT path used in 2010 for ALL USER files....

c:\Program Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2009\enu etc...

The NEW DEFAULT path used in 2009 for the CURRENT USER files....

c:\Documents and Settings\CURRENT USER\Application Data\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2010\enu\Support\Profiles
mikeg
Message 4 of 4 (2,999 Views)

05-04-2009 09:21 AM in reply to: szenert
I'm afraid you got that message a little mixed up, specifically in the "NEW DEFAULT" area.

In the first part, you list the new default path for all users in 2010 as being in "...AutoCAD 2009...". Obviously, you meant 2010. In the second part you list the new default path for "2009", when again, you meant 2010.

In any case, the new defaults you listed for 2010 aren't accurate, since the profile paths have nothing to do with the version of AutoCAD you're using. They're specific to the version of Windows you're using. The old paths you listed still apply to Windows XP with both AutoCAD 2009 and 2010. The new ones are specific to Vista and should also be the same with both AutoCAD versions.

Mike

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube