AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
khan.situm
Message 1 of 8 (3,582 Views)

Lineweight too thick when plotting

3582 Views, 7 Replies
11-08-2012 06:22 AM

Hello.

So, my default lineweight is set to 0.00mm. but when i change the lineweight of an object that i drew to 0.05 from default it becomes too thick. I plotted at 0.25 lineweight before but it was not as thick as how it is turning out to be now. I really need help. Please help. This happens when I try to plot from dwg to pdg.pc3 or send it to a plotter. 

thanks. 

*Expert Elite*
leothebuilder
Message 2 of 8 (3,566 Views)

Re: Lineweight too thick when plotting

11-08-2012 02:50 PM in reply to: khan.situm

Are you using CTB or STB plot styles ?

Do you assing line weights to layers or to individual objects?

Contributor
khan.situm
Message 3 of 8 (3,559 Views)

11-08-2012 04:21 PM in reply to: leothebuilder

I am using .ctb plot styles and lineweights are assigned by layers. not individual objects. 

*Expert Elite*
leothebuilder
Message 4 of 8 (3,547 Views)

11-09-2012 05:52 AM in reply to: khan.situm

Have you checked the CTB to see what the lineweight was set at for the color of the line that plotted too thick ?

With CTB the plotted lineweight is determined by color.

Contributor
khan.situm
Message 5 of 8 (3,544 Views)

11-09-2012 06:06 AM in reply to: leothebuilder

not sure how to check the line weight that is determined by color. help....

*Expert Elite*
leothebuilder
Message 6 of 8 (3,540 Views)

11-09-2012 06:25 AM in reply to: khan.situm

In the plot dialog box, in the top right hand corner you will (or should) see the CTB file name your system is using in a drop down box. Make sure your plot dialog box is fully extended to the right. There is an arrow that point to the right if your dialog box is collapsed.

The CTB file that has been set (it could also be "none") determines the colors and the plotted line weights that are assigned to the colors. If the drop down box displays "none", click on the drop down and select an out of the box CTB like "acad.ctb" or "monochrome .ctb".

Next to the drop down box you'll see a button where you can edit the CTB.

Click on the biutton and the Plot Style Table Editor dialog box will open.

Here you can edit the plot style to suit your needs.

My advise would be to save to a new style first so you can experiment.

Contributor
khan.situm
Message 7 of 8 (3,536 Views)

11-09-2012 07:05 AM in reply to: leothebuilder

I checked out the "Edit" dialog box....the Lineweight section is set to "use object lineweight"....idk where to go from here. lol. when i try to plot and I uncheck "plot object lineweight" it does not plot any lineweight at all. but I need to show some type of contrast....this is very frustrating. thank you btw for all your help.

*Expert Elite*
dbroad
Message 8 of 8 (3,525 Views)

11-10-2012 07:07 AM in reply to: khan.situm

1)  Your default lineweight should never be set to 0.00 mm.  The default lineweight should be set to 0.25mm

2) Adding too many custom lineweights may cause problems.  Try to stick to the list.

Suggested:  

Very fine:  0.09

Fine: 0.18

Thin: 0.25 (default)

Medium: 0.35

Wide: 0.50

Extra Wide: 0.70

Moderate Bold: 1.00

etc.

All these lineweights are built-in.

Your plot style is fine.  Just set the layers according to how you want to plot.

How lineweights look on-screen and how they plot are entirely different.  Don't rely on the lineweight display to judge your lineweights.  Test plot with a variety of lineweights until you are pleased. Google Autocad sample files to find the sample lineweights.dwg download.  Plot it with your plot style for example.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube