Did you mean: 

Linetype SHX files

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
apweng
6383 Views, 5 Replies

Linetype SHX files

Hello,

I have a linetype SHX file and a linetype LIN file - that's it.  I do not have the source SHP files for the SHX.

I want to add additional custom linetypes to the LIN file and have them referenced from the same SHX file.

I've attached the 2 files.

We are working in 2011.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Andrew

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: apweng

What extras are ytou trying to add?
Read this: http://cadpanacea.com/node/418
Message 3 of 6
dgorsman

Certainly.  The only reaon to need the uncompiled SHP file is to modify existing shapes or add additional ones to the same SHX file.

The SHAPE command in AutoCAD has a nifty "?" command option for listing available shape names from those that are currently loaded.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 6
apweng
in reply to: pendean

OK thanks,

I would like to add another custom linetype that represents a pavement edge.  A continuous line segment with 3 little hatch lines every 20 metres or so.  I would like to add this custom linetype to my existing mmcd.shx file.  Not sure about the best way to go about doing this.

Thanks for your help.

Andrew

Message 5 of 6
apweng
in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks - OK I have the custom linetype file defined.  Now I have 2 SHX files and 2 LIN files.  I can combine the 2 LIN files easily enough, how to I combine the contents of the 2 SHX files?

Thanks again for your help!

Andrew

Message 6 of 6
Kent1Cooper

@apweng wrote:

Thanks - OK I have the custom linetype file defined.  Now I have 2 SHX files and 2 LIN files.  I can combine the 2 LIN files easily enough, how to I combine the contents of the 2 SHX files?

I don't think you can, if you have only the .SHX file for one of them.  But since each linetype definition that uses Shapes includes its own individual entry for the .shx file in which to find the Shape, there's no problem having linetypes within the same .LIN file that refer to different .SHX files.  We do it that way -- we've incorporated some of our own custom linetype definitions into ACAD.LIN [after making a copy of the original under a different name as backup], and those refer to our custom Shape file, while AutoCAD's Shape-using linetypes still refer to their original ltypeshp.shx file.

Kent Cooper, AIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost