AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

rsmith312
Message 1 of 9 (1,520 Views)
Accepted Solution

Lines won't stretch direction I want when using grips & inputting distance

1520 Views, 8 Replies
08-16-2010 03:32 PM

I am having difficulties stretching my lines with the grips and getting it to go in the direction I want based on a distance I input in the dynamic input field. I've tried configuring my Dynamic Input & Grip Settings so that it's the same as AutoCAD 2007, but something still isn't right. Two things are happening:

First, I have to tab through the different dynamic inputs just to get to the "distance" field where I can enter the amount I wish to displace (not the total distance of the line but how much to stretch it by). - I want that field to be my default field but can't seem to get it that way.

Second, after I input my distance and drag in the direction I want to stretch the line, it will stretch it in another direction. How do I fix this?

Valued Mentor
wengle
Message 2 of 9 (1,505 Views)

Re: Lines won't stretch direction I want when using grips & inputting distan

08-16-2010 05:45 PM in reply to: rsmith312

Try Stretch command or Lengthen.

brcad
Message 3 of 9 (1,482 Views)

08-17-2010 05:25 AM in reply to: rsmith312

Add a pound (#) sign before the distance you'd like to stretch.

Contributor
OBERDACKER
Message 4 of 9 (1,110 Views)

10-11-2011 04:54 AM in reply to: brcad

I didn't have this issue until ACAD 2010.  This works, but makes using the dynamic input with the grips much less attracitve.  It is now similar to inputing coordinates with the move command, but reverse.  The move command assumes relative coordinates instead of absolute coordinates, whereas dynamic input is now assuming absolute distance instead of relative.  Both of these changes mess up how I've been working for years.  I wish there was a system varriable, or some other setting(s) for both of these commands so I could use them as I have since finding out about them. 

Why does Autodesk change items of commands like this without allowing the user to set them how they want.  Maybe the majority of users requested the change and in such a case they'd be stupid not to change the default, but it would have been nice if while making that change they had also added the ability for the user to set it to how they've been using the command for years prior to the change.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 9 (1,103 Views)

10-11-2011 05:41 AM in reply to: OBERDACKER

grip editing and direct distance entry has not changed in a very long time: why are you tabbing to get a prompt to type?

DSETTINGS for control perhaps on absolute vs. relative entries:  Start a new drawing, pretend you are in R2004 (turn off DYNMODE), grip edit and use direct distance entry: does it also fail?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Contributor
OBERDACKER
Message 6 of 9 (1,098 Views)

10-11-2011 06:25 AM in reply to: rsmith312

The point is I like haveing the DYNMODE turned on and it used to work while editing with grips until ACAD 2010.  I don't know what changed or, why it changed, but it did.  It's annoying to have to turn it on and off constantly.  That is annoying because I used to not have to do it and now I do.  I'll investigate weather the DSETIMGS work for what I want to do. 

Thanks

*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 7 of 9 (1,088 Views)

10-11-2011 08:33 AM in reply to: OBERDACKER

Right click on DYN button, pick Settings for Dimension Input,  Pick Resulting Dimension and also Length Change, also pick one or both of the angle choices depending on what you use.

Now when you edit with grips you can tab between length change or resulting dim.

rsmith312
Message 8 of 9 (1,084 Views)

10-11-2011 08:44 AM in reply to: GrantsPirate

Thank you very much for your help. You pretty much nailed what the problem was; however I found out that it's easiest for me to just have the Dynamic Input button turned off. For my line of work I don't really need to use it and I can continue working as I always have it without it on. Thank you for you helpful suggestions though.

marjoe
Message 9 of 9 (715 Views)

03-19-2013 08:46 PM in reply to: rsmith312

I currently am having a very similar issue right now. no mattter if dynamtic input is on or off, and with the boxes checked under settings I still cannot ajust any lines I want to stetch by typing in a relative value. instead "polar tracking" shows up and shows the absolute length of the line i want to grip stretch. is there a way to type in the relative value without turning polar tracking on and off?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube