AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

michael
Message 11 of 28 (798 Views)

Re: Layer Properties Manager - The Saga Continues

08-14-2012 03:10 PM in reply to: AWTWater

I have to say I agree with all that AWTWater has said. I've been hacking away on Acad since v12 and have lost count of the things that just don't work.

I'm reading these posts because my LPM doesn't work like it should; in fact it just doesn't work at all. I can't even get the dialog box to move or resize on the screen, let alone anything else.

So, YES, Acad, pull it out and fix the basics.

As an aside, I reckon if SketchUp's Layout was ramped up, it would make for a workable alternative at a 1/10th of the price.

Mentor
SugarCAD
Message 12 of 28 (787 Views)

08-15-2012 04:47 AM in reply to: michael

As previously mentioned, this is not an AutoCAD problem. Many have no problem with the LPM.

Try checking the previous advice on resolving your issue. Most commonly, registry cleaners are the culprit to reset columns, would be my guess.

Now on to the problem. What exactly is "my LPM doesn't work like it should"?

Have you tried all previous suggestions?

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

AWTWater
Message 13 of 28 (766 Views)

08-15-2012 01:47 PM in reply to: SugarCAD

As previously mentioned this *is* an AutoCAD problem.

1)  It's been going on for a long time, regardless of the AutoCAD release or operating system.

2)  The same issue of columns resetting their sizes appears in no other software whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, I think AutoCAD products are pretty damned good, but they are by no means perfect and it gets right up my (and many other people's) noses to hear apologists for Autodesk telling us how wonderful the products are and how if there's a problem then it's either us, the users, who are at fault, or else it's the operating system.  Nonsense.

As for the whole "uninstall and reinstall everything" solution ... well, that's just a far more time- and cost-intensive alternative to "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"  We shouldn't have to leap through hoops of fire to force the rest of our systems to work with Autodesk products - those products should work within the environment that everything else *does* work in, happily and without incident.

On my computer I run plenty of other products, from a wide range of suppliers - Solid Edge, Photoshop, Office, Quantum GIS, and a myriad others, both off-the-shelf and bespoke.  And guess what ... not a single one of those others shows *any* of the irritating "quirks" that Autodesk products throw up every single day.

This has always been the case and - presumably - always *will* be the case.  We're resigned to the fact that some things will never be fixed, some things will never work quite the way that they should, and some things will be so frustrating that people will simply find work-arounds.  It'd just be nice to have Autodesk acknowledge the faults, the imperfections, and at least make a *little* effort to fix the easy stuff.

I've been flagging up some of these issues since about Release 13/14, so I think it's about time at least *some* of them got fixed !

michael
Message 14 of 28 (761 Views)

08-15-2012 02:04 PM in reply to: michael

I'm getting a bit tired of the Acad apologists.... This IS most definately an Acad issue. I don't have a reg cleaner nor does turning the anti-virus app off help the problem.

In my case the dialog box itself can't be resized or moved. It appears arbitrarily and cannot be resized or relocated and you're trying to tell me that's due to something else like Google Earth or WinZip? Get a grip.....

*Expert Elite*
MarySeufert
Message 15 of 28 (749 Views)

08-15-2012 04:14 PM in reply to: michael

michael wrote:

I'm getting a bit tired of the Acad apologists.... This IS most definitely an Acad issue. I don't have a reg cleaner nor does turning the anti-virus app off help the problem.

In my case the dialog box itself can't be resized or moved. It appears arbitrarily and cannot be resized or relocated and you're trying to tell me that's due to something else like Google Earth or WinZip? Get a grip.....

Sounds like you do have issues with your installation. The LPM palette / dialog box should be able to be resized / moved, unless you have locked your UI. AutoCAD is a beast on computer resources and if not properly installed can have a lot of problems. Which everyone here knows. :smileywink: I would start with a Repair, then if it still doesn't work right Uninstall/Reinstall per this knowledge base article. Just because it is a pain to do doesn't mean it isn't the way to fix it.

Yeah, Autodesk should troubleshoot their products more instead of releasing the same product with issues unresolved release after release. Their QC is in the sewer. We all know this, either you accept it and move on or get bitter over it. It would be great if they actually used these forums to pinpoint all the things that need fixing, but they don't.

So it isn't apologizing for Autodesk, it is having the experience of what can and often does go wrong and telling others how you have fixed it. Or worked around the problem. For instance I once installed AutoCAD with my AV running, guess what, AutoCAD had all sorts of little things wrong with it, I had to go through the U & R. I'll never do that again, and I will advise you that turning off your AV before installation and first run IS a necessary step. Also putting all of the installation folders in my AV's exclusion list has increased my overall CAD performance.

Hope you resolve your problem ~ Mary

SugarCAD
Message 16 of 28 (738 Views)

08-16-2012 05:38 AM in reply to: AWTWater

Many on here with AutoCAD do not have this problem,

let's go through what could be causing this.

I am not apologizing for anyone, just trying to help out. It has been going on for a long time because you refuse to analyze the possible cause and apparently refuse to take any steps to rectify the problem yourself.

5 posts here in 2 years, you really seem involved.

First thing I do with an AutoCAD install is kill off the SPYCENTER (a.k.a. INFOCENTER) seems to help a lot, so if you want to complain about Autodesk complain about this.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Mentor
SugarCAD
Message 17 of 28 (736 Views)

08-16-2012 05:54 AM in reply to: SugarCAD

Mine retains settings just fine.......

Mentor
SugarCAD
Message 18 of 28 (735 Views)

08-16-2012 05:55 AM in reply to: SugarCAD

I made change close AutoCAD and reopened, the changes stay.

One more time....

*Expert Elite*
MarySeufert
Message 19 of 28 (710 Views)

08-16-2012 09:05 AM in reply to: SugarCAD

I hate to break it to you SugarCAD, but you have actually illustrated what the OP was pointing out. Take a look at the differences between LPM3 and LPM4. AutoCAD has not retained the modified column widths between sessions.

Personally I do not experience the issue. I use the LPM palette, not the classic window which you are showing in the pics. I keep it anchored, set to auto-hide, and my UI is locked. And I save my workspace when I make a change that I want to keep. It does retain the settings that I make from session to session.

I think michael does have an issue, and should have started a new post detailing it, as his problem sounds like it is not the same as the LPM annoyance which was the start of this rant post. I say rant because the OP was simply letting off some steam, everyone is entitled. Does it do any good to say that our fellow peers that try to help are apologists for Autodesk? I don't think so either. Just turns a discussion into bitterness, and keeps people from both giving and receiving advice.

~ Mary

SugarCAD
Message 20 of 28 (703 Views)

08-16-2012 10:12 AM in reply to: MarySeufert

Yes, They should ALL be DIFFERENT.

I changed settings, saved and closed and reopened AutoCAD between each to show the settings are retained.

I generally have the smaller with columns optimized.

After altering the LPM you ARE selecting OK aren't you.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube