AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

bhandy1986
Message 1 of 7 (1,893 Views)

Layer Manager Xref Madness

1893 Views, 6 Replies
02-09-2012 03:31 PM

Like many architecture firms, we use a single xref file with all of our layers overlapping.  Then we create layer manager states to toggle between floor plans, reflected ceiling plans, etc.  When you xref this file into another, the layer states come with it.  The problem arises if you ever need to change those layer states in the original file.  The xref'd lman states that came in when you inserted the xref originally do not update, but rather remain whatever they were when you intially brought in the xref.  

The only way to fix this I've found is to delete the xref, purge and toggle visretain on and off a few times untill the xref states disapear from the lman dialog box.  then once you re-import the xref the up to date lman states come with it.

there has GOT to be a better way to do this.  when there are several host files sharing the same xref, you can't go doing this in every file just to update the lman states.  Exporting the layer states does not work because the xref and the host file don't share layer names (because autocad adds a prefix to all layer names)

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 7 (1,857 Views)

Re: Layer Manager Xref Madness

02-10-2012 07:46 AM in reply to: bhandy1986

Is something is in your top file, bringing in that exact same item from outside will not change it: this applies to text styles, dimstyles, block definitions, layer settings and so much more.

Is that a good description of your issue? Yes, you either have to remove the "thing" from your top file or rename it in order for it to get replaced with the new "thing" you are bringing in.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
bhandy1986
Message 3 of 7 (1,850 Views)

02-10-2012 09:42 AM in reply to: pendean

Once the layer state from the xref comes into the host file (which happens once, when you first insert the xref) that layer state won't update, even if you update it in the xref and save.  is there a way to tell autocad "reload the layer states from the xref"?

If not, is there maybe a macro or lisp script that can do all that?

In order to reload the updated layer states you have to delete them first so they can be brought back in.

I've noticed getting rid of the xref'd layer states is tough.  The only way I've found is to delete the xref, purge and reinsert the xref.  anyone have any ideas?  because I have to do this all the time, I'm looking for an efficient work around.

thanks

bhandy1986
Message 4 of 7 (1,847 Views)

02-10-2012 10:20 AM in reply to: bhandy1986

I found the solution in another forum, in case anyone else had this problem

^C^CQSAVE;VISRETAIN;0;XREF;R;*;VISRETAIN;1;^C^C-XREF;R;*;

I used this macro and it worked. the next time you restore a xref'd layer state, it will reflect whatever changes you made to the layer state in the xref.  

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 7 (1,838 Views)

02-10-2012 01:25 PM in reply to: bhandy1986

Basically your original fix in a macro.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
pds-2
Message 6 of 7 (1,368 Views)

02-06-2013 01:40 PM in reply to: pendean

@ Dean Saadallah

There has to be a file specific system variable that triggers this. This happens in our office from time to time, but most drawings work just fine. Recently however we have an issue with xref layers not updating in the hosted drawing.

A macro (while beneficial) shouldn't be needed to remedy this.

This seems to be a case by case (file by file) issue for us.

dtalbottsd
Message 7 of 7 (1,256 Views)

02-24-2013 05:18 PM in reply to: bhandy1986

The variable you are looking for is the one used in the macro; VISRETAIN.  Set VISRETAIN=0 and reload your Xrefs.

HOWEVER you need to set it back to VISRETAIN = 1 afterwards, or things like colour overrides of the XRef layers will not be retained when your file is next opened.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube