AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

brandonmeyn
Message 1 of 8 (350 Views)

Intuos 4

350 Views, 7 Replies
10-20-2012 08:15 PM

I am having truoble setting up my tablet to work with autocad i was wondering if anyone can help me out i have a intuos 4 tablet and am using autocad 2010

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 8 (336 Views)

Re: Intuos 4

10-21-2012 12:05 AM in reply to: brandonmeyn

Hi,

that's not enough info to do anything from forum-side. What problem do you have, what messages do you get, what have you tried, and if possible also make screenshot from ctitical messages.

Otherwise it's like I can't drive my car without any information, possible answers may start at "because you don't have the key"? In your case the first option to answer would be "you have not swithced on your tablet-pc"?

The more info you give the more efficient we can help and you can solve your problem (hopefully).

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
brandonmeyn
Message 3 of 8 (296 Views)

10-21-2012 08:34 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Sorry i was not clear i have the tablet hooked up and working i was just wondering if i an stuck with the nomal cad commands or can i trace an outline of something with a command i do not know about

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 4 of 8 (286 Views)

10-22-2012 06:02 AM in reply to: brandonmeyn

Hi,

>> can i trace an outline of something with a command i do not know about

For that question (I can't see more on your post than this) a global answer is: maybe (sorry).

Within AutoCAD (without an application) there is no command for tracing anything.

But there is a command _BOUNDARY that finds outlines of closed areas, maybe that is a help then. What I'm wondering then: why tracing an outline if it's already an "outline"?

Or what is "of something", is it 2D geometry of lines/arcs/circles/polylines or any 3D-objects like solids and meshes or objects from vertical applications like walls, terrain-models, ....

Maybe you show us a drawing with the situation before you got the "outline" and after it (draw it for this time by hand, but we need to see where you want to go).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 8 (283 Views)

10-22-2012 06:36 AM in reply to: brandonmeyn

Are you new to AutoCAD, or just new to the Intuos tablet? You asked a very beginner question, so I'm wondering if you don't know about commands such as LINE, PLINE, CIRCLE, ARC and so on. There is a SKTECH command, but you'll hate it two seconds after you use it.

Are you using a pen, or a mouse with the Intuos tablet? What size tablet?

What did you hope a tablet would do for you in AutoCAD, if you know how to use AutoCAD of course?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
brandonmeyn
Message 6 of 8 (256 Views)

10-22-2012 05:46 PM in reply to: pendean

I am familliar with autocad just knew to the tablet. i am using a pen and it ia a large tablet.

Well let me explan what i was trying to get out of it. I work am a small fab shop and also do alot of side work. I have alot of customers that will bring in samples of part they want made and they am all different shape and multiple arcs. So as of now i have to dimension these out by hand then input them into cad. I was hoping to just set the sample part on the tablet and trace the perimeter of it. I hopwe this helps. thanks for trying to help me out.

*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 7 of 8 (250 Views)

10-22-2012 10:19 PM in reply to: brandonmeyn

If you're thinking that you can draw lines with it and take advantage of pen pressure, etc, and get the type of functionality out of it that you have in Photoshop, forget it.  It's not going to work like that.  You will be able to use it like you use a mouse to window select, point select, and so forth.  But beyond that, and possibly programming special functions for it, there's no real advantage of a tablet with AutoCAD.  It's not going to be a tablet if that's what you're after.

A three (or more) button mouse is probably more efficient for AutoCAD.

Dave.

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 8 of 8 (237 Views)

10-23-2012 09:51 AM in reply to: brandonmeyn

Scan the customer drawing to a PDF.

Use PDFATTACH command to to bring the file into AutoCAD. Check a couple of dimensions to ensure scale is correct.

Draw over it with mouse or pen. Adjuse scale/size as you draw over the PDF.

All a tablet will do is replace the mouse click on your screen with a click on a tablet: you still have to launch the AutoCAD command you need (line, arc, pline) and draw it like you would on screen for each of those commands. Tablet adds nothing to AutoCAD except you have to stare at two surfaces (monitor and tablet) instead of one.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.