AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

nscholtes
Message 1 of 6 (245 Views)

Interface Reset, Multiple Instances ACAD 2011

245 Views, 5 Replies
02-02-2012 10:08 AM

I've searched the Internet and these forums and have not found any solutions to this. I've seen a few similar issues, but no fixes.

Acad 2011 32 bit

We have a client that has had the UI reset, and all customizations disappear completely.
"2011 version 32 bit. My gui interface reverted suddenly to default settings upon starting Acad as I usually do. All my toolbars, etc were not there anymore, just as though I did a fresh install. Also, with one of the drawings I was working on, in every PS layout tab I had an attributed titleblock, and ALL the attributes (text) disappeared in every titleblock of every layout tab . . ."

Issue first started when he opened a second instance of ACAD 2011, which he's done many times before with no issues.

"The gui came up as a default (and not even fully) layout. When I closed the first instance and second instance, then came back and started acad, the problem was obvious. The file that got corrupted was the one I was working on at the time the problem with the gui first appeared."

Any ideas what this is?

Specs: Quad core w/ 4GB RAM.

I'm checking on the other stats and OS. Will update soon.

Thanks

nscholtes
Message 2 of 6 (230 Views)

Re: Interface Reset, Multiple Instances ACAD 2011

02-02-2012 11:41 AM in reply to: nscholtes

Quick update:

This is on a custom build PC, Windows xp pro, 32 bit

at the time of the incident using only the default profile (not renamed).

Has anyone found a fix for this, or know what causes it?

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 3 of 6 (222 Views)

02-02-2012 03:05 PM in reply to: nscholtes

Just a WAG, but probably not paying attention to the Main and Enterprise CUIx files or those partially loaded to each, resulting the workspaces being saved under an unknown CUIx.  Workspace settings were likely set to automatically save, so the second something changed (e.g. blank workspace) it got pushed to the unknown CUIx.

Running simultaneous sessions of the same version of AutoCAD is a bit dicey, since they share a number of settings.  Usually last session closed wins, which may not be desired e.g. changing Main CUIx file.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

nscholtes
Message 4 of 6 (215 Views)

02-03-2012 05:35 AM in reply to: dgorsman

Hi dgorsman,

Thank you very much for your reply. I take it there's no way to get back the older settings, correct?

Thanks

*Expert Elite*
dgorsman
Message 5 of 6 (207 Views)

02-03-2012 08:24 AM in reply to: nscholtes

Probably not.  You may have a ...bak.cuix file which may or may not have the previous settings.

Lots of people run the ACAD.CUIx as the Main and ignore the Enterprise, which can result in these sorts of problems.  Its worth spending a little time to set up these files in an organized fashion, such as using a per-user blank Main CUIx file.  I recommend tracking down some documentation on Main/Enterprise CUIx management - 'RobertB' has posted some good ones on AUGI.com.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
Adopt. Adapt. Overcome. Or be overcome.
A good question will be halfway to a good answer.

nscholtes
Message 6 of 6 (204 Views)

02-03-2012 09:35 AM in reply to: dgorsman

Thanks, dgorsman. I really appreciate it. I don't know AutoCAD and had very little luck via Net and forum searches. I'm sending this on to see if our client can restore their settings.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube