AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Active Contributor
cordiscojm
Message 1 of 5 (420 Views)
Accepted Solution

Importing Unitless Survey

420 Views, 4 Replies
12-28-2012 10:27 AM

I have received a survey that I need to use for modeling.  The DWG I received has "unitless" decimal settings and my models have Architectual inches setup for my drawing units.  Does any know how I can move one drawing to the other accurately so that my final drawing units will be in inches?

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 5 (410 Views)

Re: Importing Unitless Survey

12-28-2012 11:23 AM in reply to: cordiscojm

Hi,

open the other drawing, run command _UNITS and set the units to whatever is used to draw it. If metric and architectural then Millimeter, Centimeter or Meter are possible values, best would be to first measure some known distance to verify what unit the drafter "thought" to work with.

And then: _INSERT it into your drawing, the scaling should then be done by AutoCAD depending on the scalefactor of the units of these two drawings. The only thing you might (you have to) recreate are the dimensioning objects.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Active Contributor
cordiscojm
Message 3 of 5 (402 Views)

12-28-2012 11:54 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

The original drawing was decimal and it appears to be in feet, but when I import it I get values that do not make sense.  I say this because I took a measurement from a value that I can estimate and it shows up properly in decimal (in the original drawing).  I choose "feet" as my import units value and it comes out wrong. 

Valued Contributor
Patchy
Message 4 of 5 (396 Views)

12-28-2012 12:00 PM in reply to: cordiscojm

Survey don't use Unitless, they used Decimal.

Just insert that drawing into your Architectural drawing and muliply it by 12.

Active Contributor
cordiscojm
Message 5 of 5 (389 Views)

12-28-2012 12:04 PM in reply to: Patchy

Thank you once again. 

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube