Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INSERT command fails to create block insertion

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
evansTSMR
469 Views, 4 Replies

INSERT command fails to create block insertion

I'm trying to insert a block into a drawing using the INSERT command. The block is a .dwg file called "ElevStairsB2E2S4.dwg." I invoke the INSERT command, use the "Browse" button to navigate to the file, and click OK, then I give the insertion point (0,0), and nothing appears. There is no error message about duplicate block names, etc. Investigating this with AutoLISP at the command prompt,

(tblsearch "block" "ElevStairsB2E2S4")

returns

((0 . "BLOCK") (2 . "ElevStairsB2E2S4") (70 . 0) (10 0.0 0.0 0.0) (-2 . <Entity
name: 7fff64638d0>))

indicating that the block definition has been added to the drawing's symbol table. But even after additional attempts with INSERT,

(setq a (ssget "X" '((0 . "INSERT") (2 . "ElevStairsB2E2S4"))))

returns nil, indicating there are no insertions of the block in the drawing. And invoking QSELECT, and selecting "Block Reference" and "Name", the block name "ElevStairsB2E2S4" does not appear in the drop-down list, also indicating there are no insertions of it in the drawing.

Attempting to use COPYBASE to insert the objects from ElevStairsB2E2S4 into the host drawing also fails, with no error message. This simply results in no objects being copied into the host drawing.

How can I get ElevStairsB2E2S4 into my drawing? Please advise.

Thanks,

Michael Evans

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Patchy
in reply to: evansTSMR

Could it be the format is newer and you're trying to insert it into your drawing?

Message 3 of 5
evansTSMR
in reply to: Patchy

Sorry, I forgot to tell which version of AutoCAD I'm using. Both the block and the drawing into which I'm trying to insert it were created with AutoCAD 2012, saved in the default format (2010). So I don't think the problem is due to version incompatibility.

Message 4 of 5
Patchy
in reply to: evansTSMR

Was it created with plain autocad or Architectural block (AEC objects)

Message 5 of 5
evansTSMR
in reply to: Patchy

The drawings were created with plain AutoCAD. However, the project has a civil engineer who I think is using some vertical product, and objects from his drawing(s) may have been inserted along the way (i.e., street edges and centerlines) that may have added some stray non-vanilla AutoCAD objects.

In working with it further, I ran AUDIT on the host drawing and discovered that for each time I tried to use the INSERT command, AUDIT would find and erase one block, complaining that it had an "invalid BTR Id." So then I ran RECOVERALL on the host drawing, and that fixed the issue - I can now insert the block I wanted to insert.

Thanks,

Michael Evans

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost