How to make an Architectural dimension read 12" instead of 1'

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
demus72
1900 Views, 17 Replies

How to make an Architectural dimension read 12" instead of 1'

Very basic dimension question.

I am working in inches so I set my dimension units to Architectural. When I am dimensioning a distance that is twelve inches I would like the dimension to read 12" not 1'. I would like to set up the dimension style to report this dimension automatically without editing the text manually to change 1' to 12". Is there a way to set this up through the dimension style?

Thank you

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
Patchy
in reply to: demus72

Set up a dimstyle with fractional units and " as a suffix and use this to dimension 12".

Message 3 of 18
demus72
in reply to: Patchy

Well, if it isn't the discussion forum smart alec. Thanks for replying Patchy.

I'd prefer not to set up an additional dimension style if I don't have to. Is there a way to make this work with my original dimension style which is set to Architectural units? Any time I dimension a distance of twelve inches it labels the dimension 12"?

Thanks

Message 4 of 18
Patchy

Simple answer, NO

Message 5 of 18
demus72

Now that's more like it! There's the Patchy we've all come to love. Very eloquent indeed.

Have a nice day.

Message 6 of 18
Patchy

What do you want from me? don't like my answer, then put in there you don't want answer from me.

Sounds like you are a smart alec or proving to be the best of them around here.

Message 7 of 18
demus72

Why Patchy! Are we cross? After what you typically give me (and eveyone else in this forum), I was simply giving a little back.

While I usually find your responses blunt, rude, and sometimes useless, I truly look forward to hearing from you. Your replies are quite entertaining. I wouldn't post if I didn't think you'd reply and I wouldn't ask for anything more.....or less.

Please don't block me Patchy! I'll keep my comments to myself from now on, you have my word. Fair enough?

Message 8 of 18
Patchy

Man, go get a life.

I don't play drama here, straight to the answers is what I do.

You don't like my answers to others, DON'T READ THEM.

Message 9 of 18
nestly2

Apparently there's some history between you two, but I read the original question carefully and I believe Patchy's answer was as relevant and as accurate as could be expected.   You did not specify in the original question that you wanted dimesions over 12 inches to appear as feet and dimensions 12" and under to be inches.

Either way, Patchy's 1st and 2nd post cover both scenarios.

Message 10 of 18
Patchy
in reply to: nestly2

Heck if I know who this is and where it came from.

Psychiatrist visit would not be too late for it    Smiley Very Happy

Message 11 of 18
demus72

Come on Patchy, I've been around these forums for years. You and I go way back.

And your absolutely correct nestly, in either case, Patchy is correct. I was simply hoping for a little more insight than what Patchy gave me, "SIMPLE ANSWER, NO".

Honestly, I was only flipping Patchy some bunk because, for whatever reason, that's what Patchy gives me regularly.

I'm sorry it wasn't received well.

Message 12 of 18
Patchy

I don't like to remember people with attitude.

You should go see a doctor for your mental well being.

Message 13 of 18
demus72

Touche Patchy.....Touche.

Message 14 of 18
Patchy

OK, You won. I voted you're the TOP of all smart alec.

End of this drama BS

Message 15 of 18
GrantsPirate

Search on the web for SHORTARCHDIMS.LSP. Once loaded and started you can specify the value at or below which you want only inches shown. Having another dim style seems as easy as using the lisp, however.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 16 of 18
demus72
in reply to: GrantsPirate

Thanks for the reply GrantsPirate. I'll take a look at the lisp you mentioned.

It would be nice of there were a check box or something similar within the dimension style that would allow the user to specify how twelve inches is dimensioned, either 12" or 1'-0". I was hoping someone might know of some variable to accomplish this with one dimstyle but alas, creating two dimension styles appears to be the best solution.

Thanks again.

Message 17 of 18
pendean

One of the oldest wishlist items around: I feel your pain.
probably will never happen only because how dimsneions are structured in AutoCAD.
Message 18 of 18
ameyer

Fast forward to today, May 24, 2023 using AutoCAD 2024 and @Patchy's answer is still the best one.  Here it is straight from Autodesk:

How to show dimensions in inches in AutoCAD (autodesk.com)

Aaron Meyer, PE, LS
Meyer Civil Engineering, Inc.
Bakersfield, CA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost