AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

auto_2013
Message 1 of 6 (706 Views)

HELP! Placing a 3D Object raised on the surface of another 3D object

706 Views, 5 Replies
05-02-2012 07:12 AM

Hello!

I've already started using the AutoCad 3D. I got a question that I hope someone can help me out.

I am just wondering to know how to put a 3D object on top of the another 3D object in autocad"! E.g.,I want to put a 3d object of one leaf (raised 1") on top of the vase, so that the edges of the leaf are placed completely on the surface of the vase.

I extruded the leaf 1" first, then tried to copy it on a solid cylinder of a vase, but it didn't work!!! It seems to be simple, maybe not!

Would you please let me know whether the Autocad can handle such this thing! Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks in advance and best wishes,

Rihana

Contributor
abipattern
Message 2 of 6 (693 Views)

Re: HELP! Placing a 3D Object raised on the surface of another 3D object

05-02-2012 11:59 AM in reply to: auto_2013

This is fairly easy. Having your object (vase) to place on, make scaled larger copy by the one inch, this will be part of the placed object (leaf), extrude the leaf design beyond this offset part and run interfere, uncheck delete interfere object. Then take the original object (vase) and union with the interference object,

Attached is a bug offset a sphere with a similar offset.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 3 of 6 (682 Views)

05-02-2012 01:50 PM in reply to: auto_2013

What you might want to do is Imprint and then thicken (or offset the face, whatever it is called in solidedit in AutoCAD).

Attach your file here for further instruction.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
auto_2013
Message 4 of 6 (645 Views)

06-01-2012 11:24 AM in reply to: abipattern

Many thanks for your reply! This is exactly what I am looking for. I just missed "Having your object (vase) to place on, make scaled larger copy by the one inch, this will be part of the placed object (leaf),"

Can you explain it more! Please take a look at the dwg attached. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

THANKS  

Contributor
abipattern
Message 5 of 6 (605 Views)

06-04-2012 07:03 AM in reply to: auto_2013

See attached. The vase contour is just an oversize the amount you want the raised potion to be. In this case I used one inch as you suggested.

auto_2013
Message 6 of 6 (584 Views)

06-05-2012 02:21 PM in reply to: auto_2013

Many thanks! It was a big help!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube