AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

exhibits
Message 1 of 3 (887 Views)

HELP! Annotation Problem

887 Views, 2 Replies
04-26-2012 01:48 PM

Hello all, This is likely a really easy fix, but I am struggling with it.

I have an exhibit cabinet that I have layed out for fabrication, and I cannot associate dimensions with the z axis. Autocad will allow me to assocaite dimensions on the x and y axis, but is constrained on the z axis so that I cannot show a vertical dimenstion. The dimension commands will only allow me to show dimensions on the 2-d drawing plane.

The drawing was originally created as 2-d lines and then extruded to the desired height. To determine if it was releated to the specific drawing or not, I exited the program and started a new drawing. I created a 2-d box and a cube, using the "box" command under 3-d basics. I had the same problem with the new drawing, so this suggests to me that I somehow managed to change a global setting on the program itself

I would really appreciate any help you can provide!

Thank you!

*Expert Elite*
GrantsPirate
Message 2 of 3 (877 Views)

Re: HELP! Annotation Problem

04-26-2012 03:56 PM in reply to: exhibits

You must reorient the UCS, dims only work in XY plane.  You can drag the UCS to where you want it or use UCS, 3point, etc.

Also see http://cadtips.cadalyst.com/create-dimension/dimension-3d

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.
exhibits
Message 3 of 3 (873 Views)

Re: HELP! Annotation Problem

04-26-2012 04:07 PM in reply to: exhibits

Ahhh, I see! That worked perfectly- you're a lifesaver! Thank you so much for your quick response!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube