Flatten does not work properly

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Rikkes
13646 Views, 10 Replies

Flatten does not work properly

Hi,

I'm using ACAD (2011) most of the time in 3D. I like to work that way and it goes really fast! 

Now, sometimes I want to flatten my 3D drawing and show my obscured lines and make them dashed afterwards. With the flatten command and explode it works fine... but... some lines just move! For example, a block with size 100,200,100 turns into a square with size 100.9 x 199.3, even if I use the command in 100% top view!

That's really annoying! Is there a way to avoid this?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
hwalker
in reply to: Rikkes

I'm not to up to date with flatten, but isn't it suppose to move everything to 0 on the z axis. If so why don't you select all the objects and change their z to 0 after exploding or use the following (Not mine someone else on here made this macro)

^C^C_move;_all;;0,0,0;0,0,1e99;_move;_p;;0,0,0;0,0,-1e99;

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 3 of 11
Rikkes

It has nothing to do with that.It's just that it changes size of the parts. It's very difficult to explane...

Message 4 of 11
hwalker

Does exploding first WITHOUT flattening keep the correct dimensions?

Howard Walker
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 5 of 11
Rikkes

Bam! That's the solution!

Thx!!!

Message 6 of 11
hwalker

You might have to use overkill now as you have eg two squares superimposed on each other.

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 7 of 11
Rikkes
in reply to: hwalker

Correct! Now I have different lines onto each other. And in some cases the overkill command doesn't help... ****...

Message 8 of 11
hwalker

I've never worked in 3d so this might not work. Try doing the explode, then overkill, then flatten.

Does that help?

Howard Walker

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 9 of 11
Rikkes

Nope, tried it allready Smiley Sad ...

Message 10 of 11
RockyBrown4134

FYI..... Not sure what you are looking for exactly, but have you looked at FLATSHOT command? It may be an alternative to getting 2D geometry from a 3D object..

If this response answers your question, Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution"

Rocky Brown
AutoCAD 2020 / Inventor 2020 / Plant 3D
Message 11 of 11
GrantsPirate

You might want to explore the Viewbase command and the related commands and stop destroying your 3D model.  Assuming you have the version with that command.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost