Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fields in table update problem

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
bradypusX
2161 Views, 14 Replies

Fields in table update problem

Some fields (area tags linked with polylines) in my tables do not display the updated value. When double-clicking the field I see the correct value, but I have to click OK to force the field to display its value. Only some fields in some tables are concerned. Purging, auditing etc did not help...
So, the fields are updating (=value in field dialog box), but the changes are not automatically shown in the tables...

Any solution?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: bradypusX

You have to regenerate your drawing after changing the field. So when you have made a change and want to update the field your can type in RE < Spacebar in your command line. Or REA to regenerate everthing

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 15
bradypusX
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Regenerating is not the problem. I have a lot of tables with fields and most of them are updating correctly. But some fields are "updating but not showing", they show the correct value in the field dialog, but not in the table cell. I have to click OK to let them display the value in the table cell (=manual update).
After relinking, choosing the same polyline again (=the same ObjID in the field expression), the field in the table cell is working properly.

Needless to say, I discovered the after exporting my tables to excel and working with the wrong values...

Message 4 of 15
JoAnn_Hogan

Would you mind adding the drawing here so I could have a look at the problem? Or you can send me a private message and I will give you my email address

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 5 of 15
bradypusX

Here a file with stubborn table...

After the command UPDATEFIELD it shows in the commandline: 9 fields found, 6 updated...

Message 6 of 15
JoAnn_Hogan

Please check this drawing and see if this is what you are looking for.

I have run the -Purge > regapps. and a normal purge command. I have also checked your fields, nothing seems to be wrong with it. It works fine now but please check it.

Do you have the latest service packs installed?

Jo - Ann
Message 7 of 15
bradypusX

Strange, you must have a certain amount of healing power...

I did -purge >regapps etc with the original file, to no avail. After relinking the not-working field the table cell works fine, but the original fields/table cells do not.
I am working now with autocad 2012 sp2 and I tried already to open and clean/audit/purge the original project file in autocad 2014 (also on different workstations). It did not change anything. - I will try again with 2014, maybe I missed something.

Of course I can relink the fields, but therefore I have to check all fields in all my tables to find the not-working ones.

The attached image shows the issue. After opening the field dialog I see the correct value, but it will only show up in the table if I confirm it with OK. After doing this, the field will update regularly.

Thanks for your quick reponse

Message 8 of 15
JoAnn_Hogan

I could see the issue when I opened your drawing. After you "fixed" the link and save the drawing. Does this issue occur again? Is this only happening in the specific drawing or all drawings, including a new default template?

Jo - Ann
Message 9 of 15
th-architekci

Same problem here. Those purge commands have no effect on update fields in cells.

AutoCAD 2018 LT

Message 10 of 15
cadffm
in reply to: th-architekci

Perhaps a file format problem.

When you open the cell and doubleclicked the field, leave dialog with ok, then it works, right?

If you save the file and reopen, does it continue to work, yes?

- Sebastian -
Message 11 of 15
th-architekci
in reply to: cadffm

Yes it works but...

We have 98 apartments with tables containing ~10 rows of fields.

Only fields in tables have this error.

We did this several times (more than 980 clicks every) workaround but with every change of polyline we have to remember changes because we don't know if apartment's area is after manual update or not.

FIELDEVAL <31>

Command: UPDATEFIELD
Select objects: Specify opposite corner: 1 found
Select objects:
12 field(s) found.
3 field(s) updated. (NONE)

I saved it to DXF but still... after reopen - fields display old value.

Purged and purged with purapps

Przechwytywanie.JPG

Message 12 of 15
cadffm

Before i look for a other workaround for you:

Which Versions are running?
Title info is enough for me, the info from command about display the version exactly.

But a workaround to fix a problem is every time the second choice, the first is to know when/why the problem come from.

Are you sure that a cell (field) that you fixed and saved the file is going corrupt again later?
Can you replicate that?
Can you replicate it when you work with the native dwg format of your Version?
Dwg2013 for 2013-2017, dwg2018 for 2018-2019..?

- Sebastian -
Message 13 of 15
th-architekci
in reply to: cadffm

Thank you for fast reply.

I wrote that it works - after manual update it stays updated for a while (days).

I can save it and it still works and updates in 2000 or 2018 *.dwg or dxf file.

But after some time it freezes itself as shown on previous img.

There comes a day and "boom" they are not updating.

The problem is that froze time is now and I search for rescue.

We won't use tables anymore but for now - manual update of 980 cells awaits me.

I search for magic button like FIELDEVAL or UPDATEFIELDS but working.

I can't replicate it...

Version command shows only "2018" so I will write note from help tab "Product version O.154.0.0 AutoCAD LT 2018.1.1" We work on both 2018 and 2019. But i checked - it doesn't froze fields now.

Message 14 of 15
cadffm

I found the problem, but i don't know what source= when the problem create.

If you are sure that a field in a file was fixed, and it re-appear that the field "freeze" again (in livetime of the file later),
you have to find the trouble making workstep.

Normally i would say, one time fixed, it should work ever since this fix. But you say pretty sure No and of course I believe you.

I am thinking about worksteps like
saveas i older version than DWG2018.
Copy&Paste the whole drawing to another file.
Or save by another program (/version).
DwgConvert, eTransmit or another CAD program.
Have all people who working on this file (s) the same software?

If you often work in this files where you mean all fields works well and later the problem re appears..
What do you mean how often you can replicate / how often the problem starts new?

If you say "during one day it is 99%" that the problem restart, or 99% in a session:
I want to help you to find the source issue, but one problem:

<Version command shows only "2018" so I will write note from help tab "Product version O.154.0.0 AutoCAD LT 2018.1.1" We work on both 2018 and 2019.>
So your title should display 'Autodesk Autocad LT 2018' and if only a LT Version is available, it is very hard to help.

I think too hard for my freetime.

The source programversion of this file is very old, right?
- Sebastian -
Message 15 of 15
cadffm

Your example dwg was build in only 6 (or8?) Minutes, so i am pretty sure thats not the real source file.
Can you uppload the file from where you copied the content?
It is ok to erase some informations and then saveas with another name (with the same dwg version as current) .

Is it possible that the original file or content created 2008 or earlier?
- Sebastian -

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost