AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

gpendergraft
Message 1 of 5 (436 Views)

Fields in Model space to paper space

436 Views, 4 Replies
05-02-2012 02:00 PM

I am new to this forum. I have a question for anyone that can help me determine if Fields can be used in model space inside a block and show up in the paper space view as a correct number, (say for a detail number)? I have all of my detail blocks in model space and would like to place fields in the title blocks of the details so that they would show the paper space sheet number that they are being shown on in paper space. I have done some experimenting and cannot seem to get it to work. Any suggestions? Or will this just not work?

1.- Details in model space are blocks, and I want to edit the block and insert a field into the detail callout.

2.- I want to have the model space detail read the paper space drawing number, and have the fields change to the proper sheet number.

3.- The result will be the that the model space block fields have changed to the proper detail sheet number shown on the paper space border.

*Expert Elite*
heinsite
Message 2 of 5 (419 Views)

Re: Fields in Model space to paper space

05-02-2012 10:14 PM in reply to: gpendergraft

Fields work everywhere... model and paper space.  They'll work in text, in blocks, in block attributes.  Do a few simple tests for yourself in a scratch drawing.  Create some custom fields using DWGPROPS (Custom tab) and play around.

Post a simple test drawing here where things aren't working for you and we'll tell you what's going wrong.

Dave

------------------------------------------------------
Dave Hein, P.E.
gpendergraft
Message 3 of 5 (411 Views)

05-03-2012 04:49 AM in reply to: heinsite
Hi Dave, I opened my drawing template because that is where I want to have all this work located. In model space, I double clicked the existing text in a detail bubble for the sheet number. I then right clicked and got the dialog box that contains "edit field" and selected that. I changed the field operator to "current sheet number" and "all caps". When I did that, the text changed to 4 pound signs, which according to the Autodesk site help, means that it is an invalid field. Just in case I didn't go far enough, I then went in made a new sheet set, imported the drawing sheets, renamed and renumbered the sheets and regened the drawing. The field did not respond at all. If this operation requires that I put the details in paper space, that is for me, a major change to my setups. If it does not matter whether the field is in model space or paper space, please explain how I can make this work. Thank you, George Pendergraft Georgia Fountain Company, Inc. 770-934-3297 ext. 109 g.pendergraft@georgiafountain.com
Distinguished Contributor
pkolarik
Message 4 of 5 (404 Views)

05-03-2012 07:49 AM in reply to: gpendergraft

just to double check, are you using the "Number" box in the "rename and renumber" dialog for your file names? That's the value that the "currentsheetnumber" field will pick up on.

Also, we've run into glitches from time to time (ACA 2011) where fields in attributes in model space weren't always picking up the field values correctly. Fields in text work for us always in model space tho. So we just quit using fielded attributes in model space and put all blocks with them into the layout tab instead. (just something to keep an eye on)

Mentor
ArchD
Message 5 of 5 (374 Views)

05-04-2012 10:51 AM in reply to: pkolarik

If you get to learn Sheet Sets, they have a feature just for detail referencing called Sheet views that does exactly what you are looking for. It gets a bit confusing, so I can't get into all here. I would suggest Googling "Sheets Happen" from Heidi Hewett. This pdf is a pretty comprehensive manual on how to use the SSM. Check out steps 15 and 16 for the details, but really read through that whole pdf, really helpful.

Archie Dodge

Civil 3D 2013
Windows 7 64-bit
Xeon W3550 3.07 GHz
Nvidia Quadro 4000
12.0 GB RAM

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube