AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

*Expert Elite*
Murph
Message 21 of 29 (2,910 Views)

Re: Export to PDF

02-24-2011 11:52 AM in reply to: 1Chris2

Did you create a page setup for what ever tab you're plotting to?  You can also go to the options and turn on plot logging then see what may be the cause. Also turn off bachground plotting/publishing in the options also.

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 22 of 29 (2,898 Views)

02-24-2011 12:18 PM in reply to: 1Chris2

On the po-up you posted, there is an entry labelled: PAGE SETUP: use that pulldown and change the entry from CURRENT to OVERRIDE. The button below it becomes available, click on it and set up your PDF parameters.

And the EXPORT option, do you really want to leave it up to AutoCAD to decide what 'display' is exported? Use WINDOW and be specific.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 23 of 29 (2,891 Views)

02-24-2011 02:17 PM in reply to: TrevN

TrevN wrote:

Maybe a stupid question!!

But why would you want to Export to PDF when PLOT works every time?

You have to understand how "Export to PDF" works. It takes your current page setup, temporarily replaces the output device with the "DWG to PDF" PC3 file, then prints the drawing to PDF, and returns everything back to normal --- all basically silently with no user input.

So, in our case, all of our sheets are setup to be plotted on our hardcopy printer, but when I need a PDF of either the current sheet (using the EXPORTtoPDF command) or any sheet in the set (through SSM) - I can click one button and it's done.

Contributor
1Chris2
Message 24 of 29 (2,864 Views)

02-25-2011 11:38 AM in reply to: Murph

Thanks Dean and others,

It still doesn't work when I use the pulldown in PAGE SETUP and change the entry from CURRENT to OVERRIDE.

I get a completely different dialogue box when I PLOT to PDF (attached). But it *does* work.

I'm not sure what the Apply to Layout button is for.

Thanks, Chris

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 25 of 29 (2,842 Views)

02-27-2011 05:23 PM in reply to: 1Chris2

1Chris2 wrote:

Thanks Dean and others,

It still doesn't work when I use the pulldown in PAGE SETUP and change the entry from CURRENT to OVERRIDE.

I get a completely different dialogue box when I PLOT to PDF (attached). But it *does* work.

I'm not sure what the Apply to Layout button is for.

Thanks, Chris

In the PLOT dialog box, "Apply to Layout" means it applies the settings in the dialog to the current layout. You can press this button and then cancel out of the dialog and your changes are saved --- like if you were in the PAGESETUP dialog instead.

sweeneyd
Message 26 of 29 (2,804 Views)

03-02-2011 09:09 AM in reply to: Murph

I am having the save problem when exporting to PDF get an error There where no plottable sheets in the current operation

bousios
Message 27 of 29 (2,260 Views)

10-08-2011 12:41 AM in reply to: Murph

I've found the solution to this problem!!!!!

You have to output from the menu up next to manage ,  then click page setup manager, then new and default output device then ok ok ok and you're done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 28 of 29 (1,788 Views)

03-09-2012 07:39 PM in reply to: 1Chris2

I had the same problem as you OP, but using the tips from the first reply I went to the page setup menu (an option in the print menu of the big red A - very technical name, I know), and saw that I had no 'plotter' set up. Basically, click modify and set a printer that way it has a pdf size to create when you export as a PDF.

Message 29 of 29 (195 Views)

01-22-2014 10:51 AM in reply to: Murph

I have had the same issue of exporting a dwg to a pdf through the export option/pdf. It seemed to transfer to a pdf but does not. Most of the time at the bottom right hand corner of the screen a pop up shows up errors and warnings found. I tried a few things from the previous posts. two of them worked. You may try these:

Cutepdf -  This is a downloaded application. It is really cool. Basically anywhere you can print on your computer doesn't matter what it is you can make it a pdf through this cute pdf. I don't know the engineering aspect of it but I know it works and thats what matters. This is how to use it once it is downloaded: with your file open click print, in the printer pop up you have the option to change what printer it sends the print to. Open the drop down and find the application that says "cutepdf". click on that. You can change your options in there if you want, it doesn't matter. click print. A new pop up opens up called "Save as"(or something of that nature). name your pdf file and find the location where you want to save it. click save. you should now have a pdf. 

Exporting - This is a quicker way to make a pdf. it also allows you to make a pdf the way it should be done(in my perspective). There was one setting in autocad option menu that would not allow me to export to a pdf. It is the "Background processing options". This is how you can find it: go to the big "A" at the top left of the autocad screen(I have autocad 2013). in the drop down menu go to the bottom, click on "options". The option menu opens up. Go to "Plot and Publish". Now find "Background processing options". under neath that are two options: Plotting and Publishing. Plotting was already unchecked and publishing was checked. I unchecked "publishing" and clicked apply. I now have no issue exporting to pdf.

Hope this helps.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube