Did you mean: 

Exploding Minsert blocks

34 REPLIES 34
SOLVED
Message 1 of 35
kylei7449
55394 Views, 34 Replies

Exploding Minsert blocks

I've been searching for a routine to explode minserts but haven't found anything yet that works. However, this one did. It's a vlx that I found on another forum (sorry, don't remember which or I'd give the poster/author the credit)

Just copy it to your Support folder and load it ("AP"). Type "explodem" at the command line to run it. It first asks you to select the block; it then asks you if you want to explode? [No/Yes]  Enter No. Yep, enter no. (I know; I tried Yes but it wouldn't work...might be just me though cuz I'm a bit dyslexic; either that or the programmer may be?)

Worked for my situation. Give it a try.

34 REPLIES 34
Message 2 of 35
kylei7449
in reply to: kylei7449

No, it didn't. It explodes the minsert to a block, but you're unable to do anything with it. If you go into Block Editor it's still an minsert. If I try another minsert exploding lisp, I can explode it into separate blocks, but it's the same story. And if I persist in attempts to explode, it fatal errors.

Back to the drawing board. Sorry for the premature post.

Message 3 of 35
steve216586

Sorry to break the bad news...but read HELP. It states it straight out:

1. Blocks inserted using MINSERT cannot be exploded.               

2. You cannot use MINSERT with annotative blocks.

3. You cannot precede the name of a block with an asterisk to explode the block's objects during insertion, as you can with INSERT.

Number 1 makes invoking a lisp and using the command EXPLODE after insertion, impossible. Number 3 makes a straight forward lisp fairly impossible since you need that as a reactor and you cannot use the command EXPLODE in your code because of number 1.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 4 of 35
kylei7449
in reply to: steve216586

I know that. There are only 10 million hackers in the freaking world and no one can figure out a way to break an minsert??

Message 5 of 35
rkmcswain

@kylei7449 wrote:

I know that. There are only 10 million hackers in the freaking world and no one can figure out a way to break an minsert??

Why do you need to explode it?

Erase it and insert a single instance of the block and array it (using classic array), or just array it (using the new array).

Assuming the properties of the Minsert are available programatically, writing a routine to "explode" an Minsert would be pretty trivial. I suspect the lack of demand is why nobody has done it.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 6 of 35
steve216586

I understand your request. It is same as asking your Veteranarian to make your dog into a cat. There are a million vets out there but not one of them can do what you are asking because it is against the laws of nature. AutoDesk doesn't provide for what you are asking. It is against their laws of programming. I would have thought HELP defined it pretty well especially when Adesk goes to the trouble to highlight and emphasize the fact that these things can't be done.

I'm sure there is a person out there who can re-write the programming to provide this ability but it may "break" other features. Maybe a block won't act the same, or the command INSERT won't perform as desired. I'm just throwing some examples out there. I really don't know the consequences of digging into the core program of AutoCAD. I can guess though that there are consequences since what you desire is not possible. What reason do they have to make an arrayed block non-explodeable? I would think if it didn't harm anything else it would have been created from the get go, to do just that.

Good luck in your search for this "lisp". Yeti may hold the secret to what you seek.

Message 7 of 35
rkmcswain
in reply to: steve216586

@steve216586 wrote:

I'm sure there is a person out there who can re-write the programming to provide this ability but it may "break" other features. ...... I really don't know the consequences of digging into the core program of AutoCAD. I can guess though that there are consequences since what you desire is not possible. 

I don't think there is any mystery or hidden agenda here. Way back when Minsert was written (1986), someone decided that they didn't want the resulting object to be exploded. In the subsequent 27 years, the command/object is so rarely used that they are not going to go back and modify it now.

Autodesk has published a method to explode an Minsert, found here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=8221198&linkID=9240617

Message 8 of 35
steve216586
in reply to: rkmcswain

I just found the elusive Yeti!

And his name is rkmcswain. Thanks for the link. Sincerely. I gave up on that years ago and saw no documentation that a work around had been published.

On a side note: the limitation made my company buy the Mechanical package for our whole staff to handle the array of our blocks in our systems. Hmmmm.

Message 9 of 35
pverteouris

I was fooling with the NCOPY command but as we all know you have to pick each individual object which can be tedious and suspect to errors if you miss something.  Another method is; use QNEW command and then use the INSERT command and MAKE SURE EXPLODE IS CHECKED and point to the MINSERT BLOCK dwg.  Insert the block and then invoke the REFEDIT command.  MAKE SURE YOU SELECT "Prompt to select nested objects" under the Identify Reference tab and in the Settings tab MAKE SURE YOU SELECT "Create unique layer, style, and block names and Lock objects not in working set.  Click Ok and select the whole block.  Use green crossing window to pick. Hit enter when done and you will notice the MINSERT BLOCK IS EXPLODED.  Then click in the REFEDIT TOOLBAR, REMOVE FROM WORKING SET AND THEN SELECT ALL OBJECTS AND THEN SAVE CHANGES.  A window prompt will appear just hit Ok and then do a SAVE AS with your new file name and VIOLA you exploded your MINSERT BLOCK. 

DISCLAIMER:  THIS INFO IS FOR REFERENCE ONLY AND INTENDED FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. PLEASE UNDERSTAND YOU ARE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS AT YOUR OWN RISK AND THE AUTHOR WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DELETION, CORRUPTION, ETC OF FILES.  PLEASE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Message 10 of 35
GrantsPirate

There is this one

CADALYST 01/07 Tip 2169: XMINSERT.lsp Explode Minsert (c) 2007 Jeffery P. Sanders

And Flatten command works here as well, 2014.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 11 of 35
pverteouris

Yes I tried that one and it didn't work for me and among others.

Regards,

Peter Verteouris
2D-3D(BIM) CAD Operator
Local 46 Lic. Plumber
Email: pverteouris@urbanmechanical.com
Office: (416) 240-8830 EXT. #241
254 Attwell Rd., M9W 5B2
Toronto, Ont., Canada
[cid:image001.jpg@01CF6525.43CB5C70]

Please consider the environment, "Do you really need to print this E-mail?"
Message 12 of 35
rkmcswain
in reply to: rkmcswain

Autodesk has published a method to explode an Minsert, found here: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=8221198&linkID=9240617

...and due to the recent revamping of the support site, all of the old links are broken.

Here is the current URL:

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Blocks-...

Message 13 of 35

hi,

this is Chetan.

Spoiler

i have tried "flatten" and some of lsp but it didn't works for my MINSERTED block file. Smiley Sad

i have also tried to insert by checking EXPLODE button but it is useless.

i googled many of the sites for the solutions but nothing help me. Smiley Frustrated

Spoiler

than i tried other Autodesk software named REVIT (it is possible because it is available for meyou can use any of the Autodesk drafting/modeling software).

just simply import a CAD file in a new blank project than after export a file in a CAD format (*dwg/ *dwf) and its done....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spoiler
Smiley Tongue Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 35

hello,

this is Chetan.

now this is only for AutoCAD users..

who don't have another software..

steps below:

1. Open the file, in ribbon select file than Export (File > Export).

2. Select the file format as a *dgn and save it to a new location.

3. Close the file and open a new cad file.

4. Go to file select import (File > Import).

5. After this select the imported file and explode it 2 times...

6. And it is done.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Smiley Very Happy

NOTE: For exporting and importing *dgn file, its take too much time. Depend upon file size.

Message 15 of 35
gerardobarria

Works perfect.

Funciona perfecto. Genial. Gracias

Message 16 of 35
briangrant

This worked for me. Thank you very much!

Message 17 of 35
rhogedelfino
in reply to: briangrant

Message 18 of 35
lokman.aktas
in reply to: rhogedelfino

Dear All,

I use Autocad 2016.

Another way to explode minsert blocks is as follow, ( Not explode but create a copy  🙂  )

"""

Command: FLATTEN
Initializing...
Select objects to convert to 2d...
Select objects: 1 found
Select objects:
Remove hidden lines? <No>: Y
/

"""

After that command , autocad created a copy of minsert block without layer.

Exploding Minsert blocksExploding Minsert blocksExploding Minsert blocksExploding Minsert blocks

Best Regards

Lokman AKTAŞ
Mechanical Designer
Message 19 of 35
neliou
in reply to: micromaxturbo1904

THANK YOU. I finally did it.

Message 20 of 35
dedeoxp
in reply to: micromaxturbo1904

perfect

working

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost