Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Every DXF & DWG Appears to be corrupt

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
andrewstewart1984
1476 Views, 3 Replies

Every DXF & DWG Appears to be corrupt

I'm hoping there is a simple solution to this problem...

It appears as if every DXF or DWG file stored on our server is corrupted.  Everything was fine until my boss tried to open a DXF file earlier today and got this message:

"new.dxf is not valid DXF file

Invalid or incomplete DXF input -- drawing discarded."

His PC has been sending out distress signals and is due for replacement so I didn't think this was that unusual.  However, I tried to open the same file on another machine and got the same message.  I got the same message attempting to open on my PC using TrueView 2010.  I then checked other DXFs and got the same problem.  DWGs just say "drawing File is not valid".

The only glimmer of hope I have is that I did have a few files saved to my desktop, rather than the server, and they open just fine.  My instinct is that my boss has been 'button bashing' (he has previous) but obviously won't admit to anything.  What other causes are possible?  Virus?

Please can someone help with this because we have many hundreds, if not thousands of files.

Our machines are running AutoCAD 2010 and I've attached a 'corrupted' file.

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Patchy
in reply to: andrewstewart1984

Try RECOVER .dwg or .dxf with your PC, that's all you got to go with other than use backup files.

You do backup your office files daily, weekly don't you? who doesn't.

Message 3 of 4
andrewstewart1984
in reply to: Patchy

Thanks for your reply.  Thankfully I do have a backup and have just restored a single file, which worked fine.  But I could restore the lot and find that the problem comes back next week so can you think of a reason for this happening in the first place?  We've had the odd file need to be recovered before but not every one of them

Message 4 of 4
Patchy
in reply to: andrewstewart1984

Get him another PC, and go from there.

Why it messed up? anything can do it.

AutoCAD Drawing Interchange Format data corruption usually occurs when the software application or the operating system crashes while the .DXF data file is open in memory. In most cases, headers or parts of the data file are not saved to disk causing the data corruption or the application to fail. Other causes of corruption are physical problems with the storage media, hardware malfunctions, natural causes, viruses, software errors, and human errors. In some cases of extreme corruption, data recovery of DXF files may not be possible because data recovery tools for AutoCAD Drawing Interchange Formats are not available. If you cannot open DXF files, the software application itself may be missing or corrupted on the system.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost