AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Active Contributor
a.gnodde
Message 1 of 10 (1,542 Views)

Dimensions not staying at there position

1542 Views, 9 Replies
05-23-2011 02:09 AM

Hi All,

I have some serious fight this morning with AutoCAD. I have to dimension my drawings properly so it can be build. I did some already, a few aligned dimensions in an layout snapping on modelspace objects. when i put them all is fine and right dimensions.

BUT after i saved, closed the file and openend it again those dimensions are everywhere exept where i put them originally. And no the modelspace objects are not moved.

How can this be? can i solve this? or is this a know bug for AutoCAD 2012?

I would give this a very high priority. i can't check all the dimensions before publisching again and again.

Regards, Albert.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 10 (1,534 Views)

Re: Dimensions not staying at there position

05-23-2011 06:13 AM in reply to: a.gnodde

Are you dimensioning in modelspace, or are you placing the dimensions in paperspace over a viewport?

XREFs in modelspace?

Are you using plain AutoCAD 2012, or a vertical?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Active Contributor
a.gnodde
Message 3 of 10 (1,531 Views)

05-23-2011 06:38 AM in reply to: pendean

I placed the aligned dimension indeed in the layout over an viewport. In modelspace there are two xrefs, one grid and one overview plan. But the detail is drawin inside the current drawing in modelspace. as far as i can see is that i snaped on those objects from the current drawing file it self.

I am using plain AutoCAD 2012.

Regards, Albert.

Employee
cmiller66
Message 4 of 10 (1,514 Views)

05-23-2011 11:25 AM in reply to: a.gnodde

Hi Albert,

It sounds like this is new for you in 2012?  Which version did you upgrade from?  Were these files created from scratch in 2012 or an earlier release?  Would it be possible to get the files involved?  If you don't want to post them here, please zip up the parent drawing with etransmit (this will get the xrefs too) and email it to me at: christopher <dot> miller <at> autodesk <dot> com.  A screen capture of the dimensions before save (good) and after close/reopen (bad) might also help narrow it down.

Thanks,
Chris Miller

AutoCAD Test Development

Distinguished Contributor
mclosson
Message 5 of 10 (1,485 Views)

05-24-2011 03:52 AM in reply to: a.gnodde

I see something similar when using ordinate dimensioning in model space. If I dimension a line, the node in the dim that attaches to the object will sometimes jump to the opposite endpoint of that line. This has happened while still working within the drawing but I've also seen it when I've closed the drawing and re-open it the next day. It's not a big deal to grip edit the node back to where I want it, but I just wonder why it jumps like that.

Mike

Active Contributor
a.gnodde
Message 6 of 10 (1,482 Views)

05-24-2011 04:21 AM in reply to: cmiller66

Hoi Chris Millar,

Thanks for responding, today at first sight the dimensions still are in place :smileyhappy:

yesterday i narrowed down a bit the issue. I have a viewport where the objects are not perpendicular to the paper, so i used aligned dimension once and than used the new grip edit option for continue the dimension. I snaped on objects which are drawn inside the current file.

After this I trimmed the Xlines to lines inside the grid file. this file is an external reference inside the current drawing. But non of the moved dimensions where snaped to any of those grid lines. And i discoverd the moved dimensions after opening the current drawing again.

I discoverd that only the start angular dimensions where moved and not giving the right dimension, and the continued dimensions where still in place. those continued dimensions where not all associate any more.

when you do continiue dimension on those which are not associative anymore gave the paperspace units instead of modelspace units.

Regards, Albert

P.S. All files are created with AutoCAD 2011 from where i upgrade.

the screen shot attached you will see the situation of today which is still allright :smileyhappy:

Valued Contributor
onthexmark
Message 7 of 10 (1,400 Views)

07-13-2011 10:53 AM in reply to: a.gnodde

I have the same problem and so does the other people in my office. You put dimension on in model space and they move, they did this older version of AutoCad. I think that when you dimension, to a xref and unload and reload that it moves, we have tryed locking but it didn't help. It's a real pain in the butt.

Mark

lendugan
Message 8 of 10 (1,043 Views)

07-26-2012 06:21 AM in reply to: cmiller66

i am also having this issue, after dimensioning a can go from paperspace to model space and back to paper space and i have dimensions all over the place... i can adjust the viewport size and the fly all over the place... i am to the place where i have to explode them to get them to stay...

Contributor
ryan0416
Message 9 of 10 (1,029 Views)

07-27-2012 08:05 AM in reply to: pendean

This was a severe problem around our office a couple of months ago. We were using drawings that were created using AutoCad 2011 on Windows 7 32 bit Operating system. Once we upgraded to the 64 bit system and were no longer working in files created from Cad 2011 the problem has gone away for the most part. Every now and then I will run into a dimension that jumps in a drawing but it is usually the same one consistantly. One thing that can cause this problem with any version and operating system is if you are dimensioning in paper space (which is what you said you are doing) and have the 3d OSNAP on. That causes major issues. Make sure that 3DOSNAP is OFF. If you get the majority of the problem solved and have issues with one or two dimensions giving you trouble you can do as I do and just explode that one dimension once you are ready to publish the final drawing.

lendugan
Message 10 of 10 (1,025 Views)

07-27-2012 08:23 AM in reply to: ryan0416
Thanks for this....I hadn't even noticed it was on but with it off it seems to have solved the issue...again thanks

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube