Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dimensioning viewports

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
354 Views, 6 Replies

Dimensioning viewports

Dimensions show when viewport style is set to 2d wire frame, but only show when they are draged outside the viewport frame when it is set to 3D hidden. Policy is no diemensions in modle space. So how do I show dimensions in paper space with the viewport style set to 3D hidden?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
nestly2
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you attach a sample drawing that has this behavior?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: nestly2

I the top view you can see the dimension, but not the extension lines. I had to drag it out from under(?) tosee it. Which means you can grip it, just not see it. If you placed text there it doesn't show either.

Message 4 of 7
nestly2

Unfortunately, I couldn't do anything to your drawing to make the Paperspace dimensions appear "on top" of Viewport using a 3D visual style, however I had no such trouble after copying your TitleBlock and model into a new drawing.

It does appear however that "groups" were not maintained during Copy/Paste, so perhaps "groups" are somehow affecting the drawing?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: nestly2

I would like to confirm this issue with AutoCAD 2015 as well.  You cannot dimension "on top" of a viewport in the hidden visual style, with old formatted drawings that is.  Confirmed that copying all model space contents and paperspace title block into a new drawing (Which keeps all layers but not plot settings), then recreating hidden visual style viewports, removed this issue.

I would also like to add that I dont think groups have anything to do with this issue, since my DWGs had the same problem but have never utilized groups. I believe this is caused by a certain variable issue within the templates that you are using from old versions of AutoCAD.  Many times companies will create their specific paper size templates in older versions of the software and somewhere there is a disconnect and a conflict with hidden visual style viewports and dimensions.  

I confirmed that while using all of my companies templates, that I could recreate the issue indefinitely. Only when I created a new drawing from scratch and inserted, imported or copy and pasted the model contents into this new DWG, that it would finally display paperspace dimensions "on top" of hidden visual style viewports.  

Update all of your template files and do not create new drawings from old drawings simply because they are already "set up".  Instead copy what you need from model space and paperspace respectively and then "re-setup" your drawing files and templates from scratch to solve this one.

Thank you very much for your time.

-CADGuyBrian

Message 6 of 7
GrantsPirate

If I change the Page Setup to Plot paperspace last the dims show up on the viewports.  I didn't change anything else, just that one setting.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 7 of 7
Mwilli
in reply to: GrantsPirate

BEAUTIFUL! This worked for me as well! thanks a lot!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost