AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

daleharvey1818
Message 1 of 12 (2,799 Views)

Dialog Boxes not displaying only command line prompts

2799 Views, 11 Replies
04-14-2011 09:28 AM

Salutations.  I know this question has been asked before, and I've searched through quite a few of the answer, but to no avail to my situation.  I hope that someone can help, as I'm finding myself quite vexed.

Background - Running AutoCAD 2010, just got a new computer at work, so this is a fresh install, quite a few problems with setup, but finally up and running to our SOP. 

Clicking the GUI button or typing in the commands for hatch, layer, saveas, etc.. every  thing I can think of that usually would give me a dialog box only produces a command line prompt.

From the advice of the various solutions I found in the forums I have checked the

FILEDIA - 1

pickfirst - 1

pickadd - 1

ATTDIA - 1

typing a ~ in front of my command will not produce a dialog box

cmddia - 1

I have gone into the cui to check out the layers properties manager, and that was good to go as well

I would love to try and edit my registry, but I no longer have basic admin right on my local computer

it really seems like the Filedia sysvar should have done the trick, but since it hasn't does anyone have any other ideas?  I have a small bucket of chicken that I am willing to sacrifice to my new computer if it will make CAD work again....

If not I can try a reinstall, and try to bribe the IT department with said chicken.

Thanks for any and all help.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 12 (2,795 Views)

Re: Dialog Boxes not displaying only command line prompts

04-14-2011 10:30 AM in reply to: daleharvey1818

Type a command, not pick from a menu, and see if the problem is something else. For Example (note there are dots/periods in from of ech word):

.HATCH

.SAVEAS

.WBLOCK

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 3 of 12 (2,793 Views)

04-14-2011 10:36 AM in reply to: daleharvey1818

I would disable the virus scan when reinstall. It sounds like dialog boxes got wiped out.

daleharvey1818
Message 4 of 12 (2,789 Views)

04-14-2011 10:53 AM in reply to: pendean

thank you for your response.

I've tried several different commands such as 

-hatch

-HATCH

-.HATCH

~HATCH

~.HATCH

.HATCH

which either produce a command error or give me a command prompt listing.  Thank you for idea to try.

daleharvey1818
Message 5 of 12 (2,788 Views)

04-14-2011 10:54 AM in reply to: Patchy

I'll be sure to let me IT people know to try that.  Thanks for the tip.

Valued Contributor
gunnarl
Message 6 of 12 (2,773 Views)

04-14-2011 12:09 PM in reply to: daleharvey1818

Someone at our office has ran into this same issue in the last day or so. No hatch, insert, layer dialogs, only command prompts no matter how you initiate the command. All the system variables seem to be correct (file dia, cmddia, etc). They aren't off the screen. Ran repair install, no change. I can log in as another user and all the commands work fine. I know it's only been a few hours since the last post, but anyone have a solution yet? Windows profile issue maybe? That's the way i'm leaning right now, but not sure where to begin to rule it in/out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Gunnar

daleharvey1818
Message 7 of 12 (2,764 Views)

04-14-2011 12:31 PM in reply to: gunnarl

it is very intresting that you say that with another user it works fine, because that is just what we are seeing over here as well.

IT is trying to get me temporay admin access to my box to see if that will fix the problem, if not then I belive I'm looking at a reinstall.

*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 8 of 12 (2,717 Views)

04-15-2011 10:15 AM in reply to: daleharvey1818

If it works for other people logged into that machine, the first thing I would try is to have IT delete your windows profile, and then log in and let the OS re-create one.  (save any data or document files to a thumbdrive first....)

Also, using the tilde (  ~  ) symbol only works if you type it as a response to a command that accesses the file system, SaveAS, Open, WBlock, etc.  putting it in front of commands should spit out an error.

BMcGraw73
Message 9 of 12 (2,693 Views)

04-18-2011 05:53 AM in reply to: daleharvey1818

I just ran into this problem the other day too....Is your dynamic input on? the button for it is located near the buttons for osnap, orthomode, etc.

daleharvey1818
Message 10 of 12 (2,686 Views)

04-18-2011 06:42 AM in reply to: daleharvey1818

Ok, sorry I wan't in the office on firday, so I didn't get a chance to work on it. 

As of today and after a reinstall of autocad 2010 with me logged as an adminstrator on the system everything works fine, this leads me to belive that this problem on my end was tied into a permissions problem at the local box level. 

I will know for certian once my adminstrator access is taken away and if I start to get the problems once again.  I'll be sure to post an update once this happens and i'm able to test my system out again.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube