AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Valued Contributor
bluefox
Message 1 of 9 (2,881 Views)

Diagonal stack fraction

2881 Views, 8 Replies
01-12-2012 08:56 AM

I know there's a way to have it remain constant with a diagonal stack, as opposed to the standard horizontal? It works fine with Autostack, but if I need to stack something manually (by hitting the b/a button), it stacks them horizontally. And yes, I already know about using the # in place of the / to stack diagonally. If I go into the "stack properties" dialog box, I can manually make it a diagonal stack, and I can even save it as default...but even within the same mtext, it reverts back to horizontal. The thing is, I used to have it set up to do what I want, but all of a sudden it's changed back...I just want to know how to get it back to stack diagonally as default. I hope this wasn't too confusing.

Thanks.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 9 (2,841 Views)

Re: Diagonal stack fraction

01-12-2012 01:10 PM in reply to: bluefox

>>>... I already know about using the # in place of the / to stack diagonally...<<<

So why ask :smileyhappy:

Post screenshots of your STACK pop-ups in the DWG file where this happens, let's all have a look.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Valued Contributor
bluefox
Message 3 of 9 (2,820 Views)

01-13-2012 08:21 AM in reply to: pendean

The reason why I ask is because I'm trying to do this manually. The Autostack works fine. But a lot of what I do requires me to use older stuff, and rather than retyping all of the notes and having them autostack, it's easier to just click on the fraction and stack it.

My issue is that when I stack it, I want it to stack diagonally rather than horizontally. If I highlight the fraction, and right-click on it, I can go down to "Stack Properties". Within that dialog, I can manually change it to diagonal...I want to know a way to get this to stay as the defaiult. There is a button labelled "Defautls". If I click it and then click "save current settings" it does absolutely nothing....if I have multiple fractions within one set of MTEXT, I have to go and do this multi-step process manually for all of them, and then do it all over again with every single other piece of MTEXT.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 9 (2,815 Views)

01-13-2012 10:35 AM in reply to: bluefox

Select a horizontal fraction, and unstack it.

Do the same with a diagonal fraction.

Notice one is coded / and the other is coded #: what you want to do is not a feature of the core command, it only responds to what is typed in the fraction code, either # or /.

Consider posting in the Customization Discussion area to go beyond the core commands and featuresets:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Visual-LISP-AutoLISP-and-General/bd-p/130

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Distinguished Contributor
dbd63
Message 5 of 9 (2,767 Views)

01-25-2012 11:51 AM in reply to: bluefox

Making the fractions stack settings "stick" is not as obvious as it should be.  The "set as default" button doesn't work, I think.

Do this:

Make some Mtext with a stacked fraction.  In the Mtext editor, highlight the stacked fraction, right-click, choose Stack Properties, then the Autostack button.  In the Autostack Properties dialog box, check Enable Autostacking, choose how you want "x/y" to stack, and check "don't show this dialog again; always use these settings".

To make fractions autostack, just type the whole number, then a space then the numerator, forward slash, denominator, then the inch symbol.  The fraction will autostack according to the settings described above.

Typing 31 [space] 3/8"  should produce 31 3/8" autostacked the way you specify.

Valued Contributor
bluefox
Message 6 of 9 (2,761 Views)

01-26-2012 08:31 AM in reply to: dbd63

Yeah, I already know all about the whole autostack thing.

Active Contributor
nickeroni
Message 7 of 9 (2,333 Views)

02-15-2013 06:42 AM in reply to: bluefox

Having the same problem exactly. I use a template for drawings over and over for different clients. I'd like to have this setting 'stick' so I don't have to go into every fraction and right click to get the dialogue box, etc. I aslo have the problem that the save as default doesn't work. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

as620193
Message 8 of 9 (2,151 Views)

02-28-2013 12:08 PM in reply to: bluefox

how do i get the dialog box to come up automatically whenever i type a fraction?

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 9 of 9 (2,145 Views)

02-28-2013 12:20 PM in reply to: as620193

Mtext, type in a fraction number, highlight it, right click and see the pic, uncheck that box.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube