AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

bry7teen
Message 1 of 9 (661 Views)

Data Extraction of Text Alignment

661 Views, 8 Replies
08-04-2011 12:54 AM

How to extract Text Alignment using Data Extraction? Can somebody please help me? Thank you.

Product Support
zalant
Message 2 of 9 (635 Views)

Re: Data Extraction of Text Alignment

08-05-2011 04:05 PM in reply to: bry7teen

Are you using plain vanilla AutoCAD or is this within the context of Civil 3D?  Please feel free to elaborate on what you have created, how it was created, and what specifically you're seeking as a result of the data extraction.

Zac Travis
bry7teen
Message 3 of 9 (629 Views)

08-06-2011 06:38 AM in reply to: zalant

Hi Zac,

Thanks for the reply. I am using plain vanilla AutoCAD. I created text (dtext) with middle center justification. I would like to associate the value of the text to the x,y text alignment. The text value is the point label and the x,y alignment are the point coordinates.

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 4 of 9 (614 Views)

08-08-2011 06:31 AM in reply to: bry7teen

Attach your drawing here and let's see, I'm sure it can be done.

Mentor
neaton
Message 5 of 9 (605 Views)

08-08-2011 07:11 AM in reply to: bry7teen

DATAEXTRACTION is very easy to use and I think does what you want.

Just type DATAEXTRACTION at the command prompt and follow the screens:

1) Create new data extraction. Create a file where you can find it again. [Next]

2) Select drawing location or use current file. [Next]

3) Select objects to extract from. In your case TEXT/MTEXT. Clear all the other boxes. [Next]

4) On the right clear all the Properties check boxes except Geometry and Text and on the left select Contents, Position X, Position Y. [Next]

5) Decide what you want in the table: Probably uncheck Show Count Column and Show Name Column [Next]

6) Decide if you want the information saved to a table in the drawing or saved to a file. [Next]

7) Select the table style you want to use if inserting in drawing. This screen is bypassed if you select external file. [Next]

8) [Finish]

You now have either a table or a file with the point label and X, Y position.

bry7teen wrote:

Hi Zac,

Thanks for the reply. I am using plain vanilla AutoCAD. I created text (dtext) with middle center justification. I would like to associate the value of the text to the x,y text alignment. The text value is the point label and the x,y alignment are the point coordinates.

*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 6 of 9 (598 Views)

08-08-2011 07:36 AM in reply to: neaton

Tested it, DATAECTRACTION of text insertion point doesn't work for me, but lisp will work.

I will start a new topic so not to hijack this post.

Product Support
zalant
Message 7 of 9 (595 Views)

08-08-2011 07:44 AM in reply to: Patchy

To make sure that I fully understand what you're attempting:

1. You have some dtext objects created throughout a particular drawing.
  2. You want to query/extract the X/Y coordinates of those dtext objects.
  3. You wish to automate the process of drawing points which use those X/Y coordinates.
  4. You want another dtext/mtext object created by the point which displays its X/Y coordinates.

If that's what you're after, then I can't think of any way to do that in vanilla AutoCAD without using some sort of routine, like the one it sounds like you've discovered.

Zac Travis
*Expert Elite*
Patchy
Message 8 of 9 (593 Views)

08-08-2011 07:46 AM in reply to: zalant

Thanks for your reply.

My example drawing is on the new thread, I'm lost why the position of the texts aren't 10 units apart ?

bry7teen
Message 9 of 9 (569 Views)

08-08-2011 11:38 AM in reply to: Patchy

Thanks to Patchy, Neaton and Zac for the help and replies.

Yes, I am trying to use the DATAEXTRACTION Command/Wizard. But the problem is that Text Position(Geometry) is different from Text Alignment. Also, as Zac pointed out on Patchy's thread, Text Alignment field is currently unavailable (Maybe for plain vanilla AutoCAD because I thought I was able to do this before but maybe I was using an AutoCAD vertical program that time like Map 3D or Civil 3D).

Anyway, I just did the workaround (move the Text Position(Geometry) to the Text Alignment position) so that the DATAEXTRACTION Command will work.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube