Did you mean: 

DXF data

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
550 Views, 16 Replies

DXF data

Hello,

I have Pro-E part with dimension 400 MM * 800 MM * 1200 MM. When I Generate drawing from same, it is with original dimension with three different views (Top,Side and front).

Now on conversion from Drawing file to DXF file, entire drawing was set up within A4 page.So, I am wondering that how DXF is scaled up?

I tried with different trial and error method, but does not resulted in any conclusion.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ketan Lalcheta

CAD Customization Engineer,

L & T, India.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> Now on conversion from Drawing file to DXF file

How did you convert it?

>> entire drawing was set up within A4 page

A page size may be defined for a layout, but it does not tell anything about the size of the model itself.

Where do you see that info about "A4"?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

I saved pro-E drawing as DXF file. 

Regarding A4, there is no entity at all outside A4 size in drawing file as well once I open that DXF file in AutoCAD.

In addition to that, I found that X and Y co-ordinates of all lines of all three views are not having real values that is 400*800*1200 MM.

Hope I have cleared your doubt.

Thanks for your concern on this as I am not able to figure something on this co-ordinates.

Regards,

Ketan

Message 4 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> all lines of all three views

Are these viewports displayed at scale 1:1?

>> I found that X and Y co-ordinates of all lines [...]

Was paperspace active or modelspace?

What are the units of the drawing, maybe the model was metric, but the DXF is saved in imperial units?

When you measure the distances do that with command _DIST and make sure that you have the modelspace active!

At least: can you show the DXF?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

Hi, How to co-relate metric unit of drawing and arbitory unit of DXF? Find attached DXF for 50*100*125 MM drawing but in DXF, height of one side for front view is 19.24.. Thanks again for your concern..
Message 6 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

sorry, no DXF attached, can you ZIP the file and verify the ZIP file is then smaller than 1.5MB (this is the limit here).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

it's size is only in KB!!... again attached.

Message 8 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

you have exported a plot-file as DXF, not the model itself.

That declares why you see an A4 border and why you see text objects describing the view side.

First suggestion: try to use command _IMPORT in AutoCAD and import the model from Pro/E directly, the available fileformats to import are:

2013-10-12 15-13-36.png

If that does not help do the export from Pro/E again, but with the option to export the 3D-model and not the plan-/paper-layout.

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous

hi, That doesnot work for me.. I need to know relation between DXF file arbitory unit and drawing file metric units..Is there any way for the same?

Thanks for your solution.

Regards,

Ketan

Message 10 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I need to know relation between DXF file arbitory unit and drawing file metric units

It's the same, the lines you see are in millimeters, but before you exported them from Pro/E the views/projections from your object were scaled down to fit onto A4. The border itself is exact 297x210mm.

- slfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

Hi,

I would be glad to inform you what I want to do in details:

I have a pro-E part which I need to open with Inventor.

What I do is that I will generate Pro-E drawing from pro-E part and then save it to DXF format.

I planned to analyse three view of DXF generated from pro-E drawing file and manipuilate the data.

This manipulation of data is causing problem to me as it is not excat what I want to generate inventor part using Application programming interfacfe (API).

Can you please help me with  how I am able to have DXF data having exact relation with Pro-E part file?

Please ask me for clarification if I am not clear.

Thanks,

Ketan

Message 12 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Can you please help me with  how I am able to have DXF data having exact relation with Pro-E part file?

I don't know Pro/E, but what I see in your DXF is that you have not exported the Pro/E-model, only the plot-layout (with your three views) generated out of the model.

What you can do to have the views in scale 1:1 depends on Pro/E functionality, so I have no idea besides of the words: if you need the views to export then set the views in Pro/E to 1:1.

>> I have a pro-E part which I need to open with Inventor.

You can open the Pro/E model directly in AutoCAD and in Inventor too, so I don't understand why you reduce the model to three views (of 2D geometry) as you can't recreate a 3D-model then in Inventor?

>> I planned to analyse three view of DXF generated from pro-E drawing file and manipuilate the data

Why not manipulate the 3D-data. Exporting data as 2D and then reconvert it to 3D is something impossible (in most cases).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 13 of 17
pendean

You did not create a DXF model from your PRO-E model. Fix that problem in PRO-E.

What is it that you do not understand my friend?
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous

I could not find any option to save the Pro-E part into DXF format. This forced me to go with 2D drawing of Pro-E part where save as DXF functionality is available.

CAn you please tell me how pro-E part is made available to inventor? This will solve my problem...

I have checked with AutoCAD to import Pro-E part but it is not working fine as part was opened as almost 2D data in AutoCAD.

Sorry for very basics question but I am new to this DXF..

Thanks,

Ketan

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: pendean

Hi, Pro-E part doesnot have option to save as in DXF format.How to open Pro-E 3D part in Inventor without DXF is my concern.

Feel free to ask if I am not clear to you for my query.

regards,

Ketan

Message 16 of 17
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> I have checked with AutoCAD to import Pro-E part but it is not working fine as part

>> was opened as almost 2D data in AutoCAD.

I guess you export the wrong data from Pro/E, at least the problem seems to be the same as the DXF, you access the plot-output from Pro/E, but not the model.

I suggest to ask in a Pro/E forum how you can export the model itself, maybe also using other fileformats like IGES or STL or  and import it then in Inventor or AutoCAD.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 17 of 17
pendean

Let me help you get started on your quest then:
https://www.google.com/#q=export+pro-e+to+dxf
plus
https://sites.google.com/site/ubrobotics/tutorials/importing-pro-e-files
or consider posting in the forum you actually need help in, INVENTOR:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor-General/bd-p/78

This is the wrong website to ask about Pro-E features or abilities.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost