AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Valued Contributor
jbalaneski
Message 1 of 13 (2,807 Views)
Accepted Solution

DWG to PDF - "Flattening" during printing and Black Boxes on Text

2807 Views, 12 Replies
02-16-2012 07:57 AM

I have an issue when using the DWG to PDF plotter built into AutoCAD 2011.  It started when I would generate PDFs from AutoCAD and then try printing them to our office printer for a hard copy.  I kept getting the "flattening" bar popping up which caused a set of 20 drawings to take 30 mins to print.  Where other PDF generators the drawings shoot out of the printer ASAP.  And in a busy office likes mine, tying up a  printer for that long is kind of frowned upon.  So I did a little poking around on these discussion groups in regards to this flattening things...and I've found some solutions.  But they didn't solve my flattening issue.  I tweeked the "Merge Control" as most of the posts mention along with turning off "layers in PDF" as well.  My PDFs are still flattening.  All my drawings are 2D...no 3D information.

And now I've noticed after changing the "Merge Control" and "Layer Display" in my pc3 file, it is putting black boxes on text that have a background mask...not a wipeout.  I know there have been issues in the past with PDFs and wipeouts...but in my case it's the background mask function.  I've even tried using a 255,255,255 colour for my background mask colour (instead of my default "background colour") and that didn't work.  And the other weird thing is that it's not blacking out all text with background masks.  On one drawing it'll be blacked out and in the next, the exact same piece of text will be fine.  It's even only blacking out portions of lines of text.  Completely random!

Any and all help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Mentor
vakhtang
Message 2 of 13 (2,802 Views)

Re: DWG to PDF - "Flattening" during printing and Black Boxes on Text

02-16-2012 08:13 AM in reply to: jbalaneski
Valued Contributor
jbalaneski
Message 3 of 13 (2,795 Views)

02-16-2012 08:39 AM in reply to: vakhtang

That was one of the various posts I've read.  And still have the issue.  I might have to bring this issue forward with our IT group and see about purchasing a PDF creator that doesn't have any problems like the ones I mentioned and problems we had with other PDF creators.

I will try the DWF option mentioned in the post...but that seems like a lot of extra work that shouldn't be necessary considering I'm using the built in PDF creator in CADD.

Thanks for the reply!

Mentor
vakhtang
Message 4 of 13 (2,792 Views)

02-16-2012 08:48 AM in reply to: jbalaneski

Not sure it will help much - even professional pdf creator wil lcause almost same problems. just download tryal version before purchasing it - I did so when we were going to buy pro to create 3D pdf's and were really dissapointed.

And, actually, publish to dwf and then print to pdf is very good solution! Yes, it is some extra work but gives good result

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 5 of 13 (2,789 Views)

02-16-2012 09:05 AM in reply to: jbalaneski

'flattening' is the nature of PDF with AutoCAD, Photoshop and more. There are 3rd party PDF drivers that overrule an end user's selection and flatten PDFs during creation all the time, and basically take you the end-user out of the loop/control: BLUEBEAM has it and so do others. These are not free.

I've not seen your WIPEOUT issue here, can you post a small DWG sample that plots with this issue? We all have 2011. Or is the problem only present with 'large' PDF files?

Please ensure this is not a DRAWORDER issue, or plotting from a Layout with a wipeout above a viewport issue.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Valued Contributor
jbalaneski
Message 6 of 13 (2,734 Views)

02-21-2012 07:38 AM in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the insight to the "flattening" issue.  I will let the rest of the drafting staff in the office here know about it.  I guess we'll just have to deal with the delayed printing.

I have attached a JPG of the issue I'm having in regards to the  background masking of text.  To clarify my original statement, it is background masking of MText that is the issue.  Not wipeouts.  As you can see the black boxes are generated randomly on text.  I seldom use regular dtext anymore simply because I love the background masking option of Mtext.  This is only after I set the settings to eliminate the "flattening" issue. 

Valued Contributor
jbalaneski
Message 7 of 13 (2,729 Views)

02-21-2012 07:42 AM in reply to: pendean

The draworder and wipeouts in layout printing are not an issue...since this is all Mtext background masking

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 8 of 13 (2,723 Views)

02-21-2012 08:37 AM in reply to: jbalaneski

Can't replicate in R2011: see attached PDF.

Are you plotting to the default DWG to PDF.PC3 driver?

If you change your MASK to "use background color" does the problem still exist?

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Distinguished Mentor
thepworth
Message 9 of 13 (2,711 Views)

02-21-2012 10:52 AM in reply to: pendean

I used to have the problem of black boxes / striped lines through my wipeouts.  Our cure was a toggle within our Adobe driver through C3D where we could select "plot as image" 

This was with a former employer, not my present workstation, so I can't upload a screen-capture of where it is located... sorry :smileysad:

C3D 2011
Intel Xeon E5630@2.53Ghz
NVIDA Quadro NVS420 Dual Monitor
12GB Ram / Win7 Professional 64bit SP1
Valued Contributor
jbalaneski
Message 10 of 13 (2,709 Views)

02-21-2012 11:10 AM in reply to: pendean

Yes I'm plotting with the default PC3 file and my background mask is already set to "background color".

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube