AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Katen88
Message 1 of 11 (410 Views)
Accepted Solution

Creating a Block Library

410 Views, 10 Replies
05-15-2013 02:15 AM

Hi Everybody,

I am using AutoCAD 2012 and have made lots of different files with individual drawings in them. I am planning to go into each drawing file and create a block for the drawing. After that I want to make all the blocks available in one drawing. Does anybody know how I should do this, or could someone let me know if they know of a useful website or similar.

Thanks

:smileyvery-happy:

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 2 of 11 (393 Views)

Re: Creating a Block Library

05-15-2013 04:39 AM in reply to: Katen88

You could simply INSERT each of these Drawings into a Container File and then you would have individual Blocks all in one file.

Then INSERT and EXPLODE the Container drawing in your Target drawing.

The Container File(s) could be several that are a collection of like blocks.

Tool Palettes could be better to explore for this and can be grouped by Tabs for similar Blocks.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Katen88
Message 3 of 11 (390 Views)

05-15-2013 05:06 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Just checking if I understand you correctly.

After having done this, if I opened a new drawing and wanted to insert a block from the container file, I would just click on browse in the Insert block dialogue box and search for the container file. If this is correct then the problem is solved.

It would be great if I could get this container file to be loaded every time I opened a new drawing, is there an option for this?

:smileysurprised:

*Expert Elite*
Jay_B
Message 4 of 11 (386 Views)

05-15-2013 05:23 AM in reply to: Katen88
Design Center works well for bringing in blocks from another dwg or container file.
ADDCENTER command.
Jay

C3D 2014 SP2
Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 5 of 11 (382 Views)

05-15-2013 05:29 AM in reply to: Katen88

That will work and will bring all Blocks associated with that Container file into the target drawing.

I'll second ADDCENTER as well - Especially if you have a second monitor.

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
JGerth
Message 6 of 11 (363 Views)

05-15-2013 07:51 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

If you will always want all of these block, then insert your container file into your template (probably acad.dwt).  Explode the container block, purge it out, and rock on.

Otherwise, ADC is by far and away my preference.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 7 of 11 (353 Views)

05-15-2013 08:55 AM in reply to: JGerth

Oft used Blocks to a Tool Palette as well.

Many options to ease the using Blocks that way.

Valued Contributor
L_Nester
Message 8 of 11 (339 Views)

05-16-2013 04:30 AM in reply to: Katen88
I believe I have a lisp that will insert all drawing files in a folder into a single drawing as blocks that can then be used as a master block library. I'm out of the office right now but I can post it later if you're interested
Katen88
Message 9 of 11 (333 Views)

05-16-2013 05:02 AM in reply to: L_Nester

Thanks that would be great. I was trying to write a batch file to do this, as I do not know how to use lisp. So far I have managed to change drawings to blocks using the batch file, but not create a master file.

:smileyhappy:

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 10 of 11 (321 Views)

05-16-2013 09:24 AM in reply to: Katen88

A Block is nothing more than a Drawing that has been INSERTed into another Drawing file.

Start a blank drawing

INSERT the file you would like in there.

INSERT the next file you would like.

etc...

SAVEAS

You now have a Container File with the Blocks (Drawing Files) that you want to INSERT into the Template or Drawing File that you need these in. There is no need for additional programming.

The Lisp will take DWG Files that are in a specific Folder and place these all in one DWG File.

Are your DWG Files that you want to Insert all separated into specific files based on commonalities in the Blocks?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube