Did you mean: 

Copy content of viewports from other drawing like an image

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
drc_ol
5856 Views, 15 Replies

Copy content of viewports from other drawing like an image

Hi,

i would like to know if there is a way to copy the content of viewports in paperspace to another drawing like an image without

having the content of the model space associated.

Regards,

David

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
3wood
in reply to: drc_ol

EXPORTLAYOUT command?

Message 3 of 16
pendean

A viewport is a just a window onto modelsapce: just like at your house/apartment, if you move the window from one wall to another and the view doesn't move with the window ever 🙂

3wood's good tip makes your layout a model that you can then INSERT into a paperspace layout in another file and may be an option: otherwise you know exactly what the other method is my friend.

Message 4 of 16
drc_ol
in reply to: pendean

The exportlayout could be an option yes, i didn't know this command and it could be useful but it s not exactly  what i want.

I understand the concept of a viewport but like i can create a pdf out of a layout maybe i could turn a viewport in a image then i

could insert in a layout of another drawing.

Message 5 of 16
Patchy

WMFOUT command

Message 6 of 16
sthompson1021

Hi, if I'm understanding what you want, you can open your target dwg and then use the LAYOUT command. Select the template option and then browse to the dwg where the layout you want is located. Then insert that layout.

Message 7 of 16
drc_ol
in reply to: sthompson1021

The WMFOUT command only copy the model space, if you that with a viewport only the lines of the viewport appears.

Sthompson1021, yes it's aproximatively that, only i just want part of the layout. 

A good comaprison of what i want it's a printscreen of something ( some viewports of a layout), then input this image in a document word (in a layout of another drawing). I know that it's no more a viewport and i can t access to his model but i only want it like an image.  

Message 8 of 16
Patchy

Draw a polyline around the viewport, use chspace and move it to model space, activate the viewport and use WMFOUT, select whatever you need there.

Crop the image.

Message 9 of 16
hwalker

How about using CHSPACE to move the objects from modelspace into paperspace and then copy and pasting into your other drawing?

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Message 10 of 16
drc_ol
in reply to: hwalker

Patchy, it should work. I can also make a printscreen os the layout, crop in paint, insert in the model space of the other drawing and make a viewport of what i want but the quality deteriorates. The better might like someone said before, export layout, copy the model to the new drawing and make a viewport of it. 

I really thought there was a simply way to do this. If I can copy content of a model of a drawing to another drawing with ctrl+c, ctrl+v why i can t simply copy viewports and its content the same way ( i understand it's not exactly the same but it could lock the content of the viewport and make it automatically an image..).

Message 11 of 16
Patchy

Autocad to image is still yucky, it hasn't improved since release r14

Message 12 of 16
dmfrazier

How about printing (plotting) your layout to either PDF or DWF?  Either file type can be xref attached to another DWG.  You can even clip (XCLIP) the attached xref.

There are also other "image" file formats (aside from WMF) you can "export" or plot a layout to, such as JPG, TIF, BMP, PNG, etc., which allow you to specify certain quality settings that might give you more satisfying results.  You can create a PC3 file based on each "Raster File Format" available, if you like.

Message 13 of 16
drc_ol
in reply to: Patchy

Thanks for all the replies, i learned some good infos that i will use in others occasions. But in that specific action, the alternatives don't compensate. 

Regards,

David

Message 14 of 16
jggerth1

did you try the DWF suggestion?  That's probably the best quality choice you'll find.

Message 15 of 16
drc_ol
in reply to: jggerth1

I think the plot in .DWF is also the best solution right now. I just have to attach this file in the new drawing and make a new viewport of it and the

quality is still good.

Message 16 of 16
superjose_49

I know this is kind of old, but it just got it into my mind. I know exactly what you're after. Do this:

1) Enter the viewport's model space (The one that you want to copy)
2) Go to the "View" Tab in the ribbon of AutoCAD (Civil works too)
3) Select "View Manager"
4) Verify that on the left pane of the "View Manager" window, "Current" is selected. Press "New"
5) Give it a name, anything you want, and don't change any info and press "OK".
6) Press "OK" once more to exit "View Manager".

7) On your newly created viewport, go to its model space.
😎 On the "View" tab, it should appear the view you just created.
9) Select it, and voila!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost