AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Active Contributor
pjnewt
Message 21 of 36 (267 Views)

Re: Converting 2d Drawing to 3d Drawing

11-08-2011 06:35 PM in reply to: AllenJessup

It was an example.  Wasn't posted on this forum.  

Tired of this?  Me too.  Good luck.

Bowing as I back out. 

Active Contributor
pjnewt
Message 22 of 36 (261 Views)

11-08-2011 07:23 PM in reply to: pjnewt

Thanks to Allen for working the problem further even though it was an example of a problem I've been working on (searching forums) for an intensive week; looking for examples in Maya (couldn't find/didn't know how to work), Mudbox (could't find/didn't know how to work), and finally in PhotoShop CS5 Extended (can't load needed 3D portion of the app due to my video card on a 1 year old maxed out Macbook Pro??).

I believe I posted that in MAP and when directed with addtional help I put it in another.  

To JMather, you have something on your shoulder.  Once again you feel it necessary to "school" a poster when you assume I posted that question here.  

Allen, my apologies for posting to the wrong guy.  You get perseverance points.  I'll look that stuff up.  Thanks.

I found this thread by looking for an answer to a similiar problem and was struck by how nasty the replies were. Gave me pause enough to post not a question, but a callout on those who think that answering a question deserves a ration of crap along with it (especially since I was looking for the same answer). 

The the general "need a job" thinking...ha!  I'm retired - wanting to design jewelry beads - wrap design around a sphere - be able to revolve that sphere so I can see all sides to do wax modeling.  I can always go back to pen & pencil.  So much for technical advances.  This thread is a thread from hell.  I'm very disaapointed in nasty jibes taken at someone who needed help.  There are better ways.  And yes, I've worked the bleeding edges of technology, seen things like this and still think people who take advantage of a forum to display this form of bragging is wrong.  Answer or don't answer...to assume that the questioner is anything other than someone wanting to know something for any OTHER reason is reading to much into the post and a form of forum-mas&^#)! - you know - it's also called mental-*%(&# but has a different purpose.  To those that tried to actually answer the OP thanks, it might just have helped others too. 

Active Contributor
pjnewt
Message 23 of 36 (256 Views)

11-08-2011 09:32 PM in reply to: pjnewt

Also, I'm on a Mac using AutoCad 2012 which doesn't allow "Create Materials".  As far as I can see I'm stuck.  I tried returning it but the vender "journeyed.com" doesn't allow returns if opened and Autodesk hasn't replied...nor answered my question as to when this feature is projected to be released.

The video that I found on Youtube directly used Create Material to bring in the 2d image.  I've even gone into the system's AutoCad library files and replaced a .jpg file in the Materials folder to no sucess. How mad do you think this makes me?

I'm not sure what AutoDesk was thinking when it released AutoCad for Mac without material creation but I know it's left me with a high priced (even though student priced) software package that can't be use for the intended purpose.  

Active Contributor
pjnewt
Message 24 of 36 (249 Views)

11-09-2011 02:25 AM in reply to: AllenJessup

Thanks for the paper, it is beautiful.  Pure information, good use of  English.  I got a lot from the picture---hard.  Can you believe that Photoshop cs5.1 has this ability?  I'm betting the interface is a lot easier.  Too bad I can't load it.  ****, computer is one year old and I'm out.  Have to call Photoshop.

These at least give me an education in "wrapping 2d around 3d" and a bunch more terms for this that might be helpful in my searches.  

Thanks again. 

Active Contributor
pjnewt
Message 25 of 36 (244 Views)

11-09-2011 03:27 AM in reply to: AllenJessup

Here's exactly what I want to do

http://books.google.com/books?id=I49AEJAsa98C&pg=PA290&lpg=PA290&dq=autocad+%26+layers+on+sphere&

source=bl&ots=2N5fwLxSAs&sig=eaKwwAnLdLBL9-Q5sIbKlswo808&hl=en&

ei=N166TreL4Tq0gHghuHfCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&

ved=0CDMQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

Page 495, first picture from the top.  I had to split the hyper link to get it into the editor.

This is from a book for AutoCad 200[0-2] and the closet answer I've gotten.  The problem I still so is going back to the non availabilty of the Creat Materials option in AutoCad 2012 for Mac.  I'm still reading but really hope to see that layers, or something else can be used to do this.  I have all my designs in photoshop .psd files but can easily convert them to whatever format my present AutoCad will take in.  Wish me luck.

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 26 of 36 (238 Views)

11-09-2011 05:54 AM in reply to: pjnewt

OK. I now see I misunderstood your question. You want to map a raster to a sphere not do mapping as in Latitude and Longitude. Since I'm from a Surveying background I jumped on that. I know there used to be an example in Map where you could wrap a rectilinear image of the earth around a sphere. Basically a reverse projection. I don't have a lot of time today but I'll try to track that down. What I remember may have been from 2002 or before.

Allen

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 27 of 36 (233 Views)

11-09-2011 06:11 AM in reply to: pjnewt

pjnewt wrote:

I'm not sure what AutoDesk was thinking when it released AutoCad for Mac without material creation but I know it's left me with a high priced (even though student priced) software package that can't be use for the intended purpose.  

Uhmmm, students can get AutoCAD for Mac for Free directly from Autodesk http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity

- your teacher should have told you this.

You still haven't posted the url to the YouTube video you referenced eariler.

Did you read the link about how to ask a question on an internet forum?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
Active Contributor
pjnewt
Message 28 of 36 (232 Views)

11-09-2011 06:12 AM in reply to: AllenJessup

You got it.  Take your time as you're the one helping me.  I'm trying to do the same thing in Adobe Illustrator.  Isn't it strange that this "simple" item which many people need was once there and is now gone?  I can't believe the clip art people aren't shaking sticks at this.  I've still got to call the Adobe people about my video card.  

Don't worry about time.  It'll still be here.  My neighbor is a surveyer.  At least it's outside, better than being stuck in a cube. 

Active Contributor
pjnewt
Message 29 of 36 (220 Views)

11-09-2011 10:46 AM in reply to: JDMather

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoXeOyZzPKY

Above not useful as it uses Create Materials which AutoCad 2012 Mac doesn't have.  Also the whole "materials" module seems incomplete even using a packaged material.  

See a recent posting to Allen on what I'm trying to do.

Teacher was for Adobe's InDesign.  I bought this on reputation.  I wouldn't have known what any of the write ups were talking about before hand anyway, nor where to find the documentation of such.   I am using the trial software for Maya and Mudbox.

I'm trying to get a hold of AutoCad to make sure I have a complete disk, even though I know the Materials module is missing.  There is a lot "missing" on Mac version.  Examples, for example. 

Active Contributor
pjnewt
Message 30 of 36 (206 Views)

11-09-2011 03:33 PM in reply to: AllenJessup

I believe your thinking about a VBA script or Lisp program called Map_2_Globe.XXX  It was on the install disk around 2000.  The guy over in the other area (MAP) told me about it.  The problem there was that the code wasn't around except from pay for torrent sites.  I haven't done anything with torrent so I begged off.  Of course I haven't done anything with AutoCAD, Adobe Illustrator, Maya or Mudbox but I've managed to beat the crap out of myself.

I did get a cylinder wrapped in Illustrator today.  Wrong intended software but it was good to see anyway.

I think this is going to come down to no material handling if the only way is through the Materials browser.  I'm still looking at surfaces, textures, projections and such but nothing actually wrapped yet.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube