AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Active Contributor
cordiscojm
Message 1 of 8 (784 Views)

Computer/AutoCad Settings Optimization for Rendering

784 Views, 7 Replies
10-22-2012 08:11 AM

I am working on several complex models of large rooms that have plenty of Polished Stainless Steel and Clear Glass.  I am trying to get some rendering done on these rooms and I asked, daily, for new renderings of all our changes.  I am at my wits end on how to optimize AutoCad to boost rendering times.  I am also using florescent lighting which is completely drowning out any color contrast.  Scenes look great but without any color pop.  I know that I just threw in a couple of questions on a single post, hope I didn't break a law. 

My system setup:

Alienware Aurora

Windows 7 64-bit

Intel Pentium i7 980 Extreme (OC to all 12 cores @ 4.0GHz)

16 GB DDR3 Ram

Nvidia Quadro 6000

AutoCad 2011

If I render my scenes without a roof and using sunlight, the rendering times are within 30min or less.  If I create lighting and put the ceilings in my render times are several hours at best.  With as much power as I am pushing, I really don't understand the delta or what I can do to help the situation.  Thanks all for taking the time to read this post.

John

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 2 of 8 (782 Views)

Re: Computer/AutoCad Settings Optimization for Rendering

10-22-2012 08:25 AM in reply to: cordiscojm

Hi,

>> If I create lighting and put the ceilings in [...]

>> I really don't understand the delta

If the creation of the lightning causes the longer rendertimes then you have your delta!

Either you have to much lights or they are set to complex (e.g. the shadow-type and -calculation) or the materials you use needs that much rendertime because of reflections (also reflections of the rays if you have set indirect illumination to on.

>> [...] working on several complex models of large rooms [...]

Sometimes it make sense to split the drawings in rendering parts. E.g. if you have 2 rooms in one object, but they don't influence themselved then freeze the layers of the not-visible neighbour-room.

Maybe uploading a drawing could also be a help, so we see your settings and can play a little bit with them.

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
Active Contributor
cordiscojm
Message 3 of 8 (778 Views)

10-22-2012 08:42 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred,

Thank you for the fast post reply.  I will upload the drawing but I am attempting another Render to see how long the Final Gather takes.  I guess I am a bit dissappointed in how little the GPU is utlized in the raytracing.  AutoCad is just bombing my processor and the RAM and GPU and pretty much idle. 

A more direct reply to your post, I do have Direct Illumination "ON."  I have the Render scene set to "Presentation" (quality 5) at 1920X1080 resolution.  There are copies of the same room which are not in the Rendering scene.  Would it help me out to isolate those rooms (not in the scene) and freeze those layers prior to Rendering?

John

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 4 of 8 (770 Views)

10-22-2012 08:51 AM in reply to: cordiscojm

Hi,

>> how little the GPU is utlized in the raytracing

AutoCAD does not use the GPU for rendering at all. If you have a high end GC than you might check 3D-Studio Max or similar products, they have more options (more types of render-engines) to use the GPU also during the render process (e.g. using iRay).

>> Would it help me out to isolate those rooms (not in the scene) and freeze those layers prior to Rendering?

Yes, it will be an advantage for the rendertime.

>> scene set to "Presentation" (quality 5) at 1920X1080 resolution

That would not be the point I start. Look to the render-settings dialog and verify the properties that changes from "middle" to "presentation", all that properties makes the rendering more slow.

Also rendering to 960x540 (half the resolution in both directions) is less then a quarter of your current render-time. On the finished image use an graphic-software like photoshop to resize the resolution. Ok, the qualitiy is not the same, but the difference of the rendertime is really great. And as long as it's not the final image it's ok in most cases.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Active Contributor
cordiscojm
Message 5 of 8 (768 Views)

10-22-2012 08:57 AM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred,

Great points.  I will not be able to sacrifice resolution as the client I am working for requires it.  I do have some understanding that iRay is the way to go for rending with a Quadro 6000, just tough to eat the costs.  I will start with freezing the unused portions of the print and see how much that helps.  I will also try to drop some of the lighting and see where that gets me. 

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 6 of 8 (766 Views)

10-22-2012 09:02 AM in reply to: cordiscojm

Hi,

>> iRay is the way to go for rending with a Quadro 6000

No, you don't need to have a Quadro 6000, it's running on all nVidias (imho). Of course the cheaper the GC, the less GPU's are available, so the speed is more limited.

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Sibolangit
Message 7 of 8 (504 Views)

03-19-2013 11:53 PM in reply to: cordiscojm

Halo, My computer Spec is:

- Intel Corei7 (8 Proccesor)

- 3 GB RAM

- 1 GB Vga Ati

- Windows XP SP3

My Quetion is, When i'm rendering my project low Resolution my PC working very slow and rendering procces is so long.... Please tell me how to make it faster when rendering..... Thank you and God bless..

Parulian.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 8 of 8 (500 Views)

03-20-2013 12:15 AM in reply to: Sibolangit

Hi,

>> Please tell me how to make it faster when rendering

Sorry to say, that could be hundreds of options starting with optimization of the geometry and ending at all of the render-settings.

My first suggestion:

If you do a lot of rendering then first evaluate if AutoCAD is the correct product. Well, AutoCAD is able to do great renderings, but not most efficient like other products can do that.

My second suggestion:

Whatever product you use then: get a training especially for rendering (and sorry to say, there are  AutoCAD-trainers out there that don't know to much about rendering, so verify that first. E.g. most people doing rendering have images or videos ready to present, ask your trainer for such samples)

My third suggestion:

Upload your project and tell us what you mean by "my PC working very slow" so we can verify if it's really slow because of some settings or it's only you thinking that it is slow because it does not render realtime :smileywink:

Save the drawing with a view you are rendering and how many time it needed.

At least, there is not one answer for "how to make renderings faster", that would be a book of answers. :smileywink:

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube