AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Distinguished Contributor
omorah
Message 1 of 7 (263 Views)

Color Convertion

263 Views, 6 Replies
09-15-2011 03:33 PM

I have been on line searching, with no avail for a way to convert AutoCAD colors.

This is the issue here.   I have about ninety files I would like to change all its colors to different color types.  That is, I have the CAD files with my colors, and would like to convert them to different color for a client (regardless of their respective layer names).   My goal is to be able to visually see the converted colors on the AutoCAD work area.  I do NOT need the CTB/STB converted and I don't think the LayTrans function  would do it (unless I am not very familiar on how to use it).

Say I have a set of files I need to send to you so you can use your own CTB/STB to print to your color specification (in this case, when you first open the CAD file, you see your own color on your screen before printing).

An ultimate solution would be (if possible) to access the AutoCAD's "color file", back it up, change what I need in this "color file", then open the CAD files and resave them, when done, I could just restore the original "color file" in my system.

DESCRIPTION:

MY OFFICE COLORS:   Door - Red, Roof line - Green , and Text - Magent

YOUR OFFICE COLORS:  Door - Blue, Roof line Red and Text Red

In the above settings, when I open the drawing, I will see the colors on my screen as RED, GREEN and MAGENTA  and you will see, when you open the same file, as, BLUE, RED and RED.

I sure hope these explains myself better.

Thanks for your time.

Mentor
grimline
Message 2 of 7 (258 Views)

Re: Color Convertion

09-15-2011 03:47 PM in reply to: omorah

90 files, sounds like way too late in the game to be changing Layer colors. I would just give them my ctb file and have them use it to plot if need be.

Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2015
Windows 7 Professional
Service Pack 1
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Distinguished Contributor
omorah
Message 3 of 7 (248 Views)

09-15-2011 04:08 PM in reply to: grimline

grimline

If it were that easy I would not be on this forum needing help.

I wrote  "My goal is to be able to visually see the converted colors on the AutoCAD work area."

Thanks for your time anyway.

Mentor
neaton
Message 4 of 7 (242 Views)

09-15-2011 04:32 PM in reply to: omorah

I don't think there is any way to have the same file show up 2 different color schemes without changing the actual colors.

Two script files would work to quickly change the colors before sending them to the client, but it would take a little time to set up. A toolbar/palette button would make quick work of running the scripts as needed or use ScriptPro to run the scripts on all 90 files at once.

MYCOLORS.SCR would have your colors, THEIRCOLORS.SCR would have their colors. To use you would run THEIRCOLORS.SCR and email it to them, then run MYCOLORS.SCR to go back to your colors.

The files would look like this:

-LAYER COLOR 5 "DOOR"
  COLOR 1 "ROOF LINE"
  COLOR 1 "TEXT"
  QSAVE

Remember the extra space at the end of the last layer line.

To use you would need to run THEIRCOLORS.SCR, email it to them, then run MYCOLORS.SCR to go back to your colors.

To quickly get a list of layers type -LAYER and ? at the command prompt. Copy into a word processor file and use find/replace to get rid of the multiple spaces and text you don't want. Copy into a notepad file when done. Like I said, it takes time, but may be worth it for you. I've used a script file when I needed to add P2- layers to the standard P- layers.

LAYTRANS will work, you just need to set up a .dws file with your colors and one with their colors. Map the changes and save so can rerun the translation when you need it. Personally, I think script files are faster, especially if added to a tool palette.

HTH, Nancy

omorah wrote:

I have been on line searching, with no avail for a way to convert AutoCAD colors.

This is the issue here.   I have about ninety files I would like to change all its colors to different color types.  That is, I have the CAD files with my colors, and would like to convert them to different color for a client (regardless of their respective layer names).   My goal is to be able to visually see the converted colors on the AutoCAD work area.  I do NOT need the CTB/STB converted and I don't think the LayTrans function  would do it (unless I am not very familiar on how to use it).

Say I have a set of files I need to send to you so you can use your own CTB/STB to print to your color specification (in this case, when you first open the CAD file, you see your own color on your screen before printing).

An ultimate solution would be (if possible) to access the AutoCAD's "color file", back it up, change what I need in this "color file", then open the CAD files and resave them, when done, I could just restore the original "color file" in my system.

DESCRIPTION:

MY OFFICE COLORS:   Door - Red, Roof line - Green , and Text - Magent

YOUR OFFICE COLORS:  Door - Blue, Roof line Red and Text Red

In the above settings, when I open the drawing, I will see the colors on my screen as RED, GREEN and MAGENTA  and you will see, when you open the same file, as, BLUE, RED and RED.

I sure hope these explains myself better.

Thanks for your time.

*Expert Elite*
azrdgldr
Message 5 of 7 (239 Views)

09-15-2011 04:35 PM in reply to: omorah

If the layer names don't change I imagine a script here to change the colors of the layers or maybe a layer states convention for your office on the other office.

Mentor
Johneng
Message 6 of 7 (208 Views)

09-16-2011 06:51 AM in reply to: omorah

Set up  two layer states with the LAYERSTATE command one called my-office-colors and one called your-office-colors. Then write a two macros for custom buttons one similar to ^C^C-layer;state;restore;MY-OFFICE-COLORS;;;  and one similar to ^C^C-layer;state;restore;YOUR-OFFICE-COLORS;;;

You could also write a macro to export/import you layer states into other drawings. Similar to ^C^C-layer;state;export;YOUR-FILE-NAME-HERE;;;;

*Expert Elite*
Bob_Zurunkle
Message 7 of 7 (166 Views)

09-19-2011 08:54 AM in reply to: Johneng

...ummm, CAD Standards Manager?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted :smileyhappy:

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube