AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Product Support
sergio.bertino
Message 1 of 4 (7,283 Views)

Circular Wipeout - How to.. The ultimate guide

7283 Views, 3 Replies
03-02-2012 02:20 AM

Hi guys,

I'd like to share with you an useful (..I hope..) guide for "How to create Circular Wipeout.." in AutoCAD.

Wipeout are AutoCAD objects that allow you to "hide" some entities in your drawing, that normally cannot be hidden with AutoCAD tools (freezing layer, set transparency, etc).

The typical example is when you have an image as background in your drawing, and you want to hide some part of it.. How to? Simply! With wipeout!

http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/enu/online-help/search#WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-659d...

And if you want to hide something, with a Circular shape? Here we are..

Due the fact that is not possible to create Circular Wipeout, because "_wipeout" with "polyline" option accepts only closed polyline ("The polyline must be closed and made up of only line segments"), there're a couple of tricks and workarounds to do it.

1. Create a "Sketch" and convert it in a Wipeout

1.1   Run _sketch

1.2   Select the option “Type” and then “Polyline”

1.3   Then “Increment” and type 100

1.4   Draw a nearly closed sketch (try to make it as much simply you can) around the area of your dwg youwant tohide

1.5   Once you finish, press ESC

1.6   Now you have to close your sketch

1.7   Zoom in the zone where the first and the last point of your sketch are near, stretch the last point to thefirst point to close the loop

1.8   Now draw a boundary (_boundary) with “island detection” activated and “object type” as “Polyline”, clickinside your previous created sketch

1.9   Now you have two coincident polylines, you must delete the first one (the sketch.. I know you can do it..you can _Move “L” the last object created to show the first polyline and delete it..)

1.10 Now you can transform the polyline created by boundary into a wipeout: run “_Wipeout”, choose “P” forPolyline, select the boundary, and then confirm to delete the polyline

1.11 Well done, now you have your Circular Wipeout!

2. Create a "Mask" with a "Non-plotted" color

2.1  Create the shape around the area of your dwg you want to hide (must be a closed boundary)

2.2  Then apply a solid hatch inside it

2.3  Set the 255 color for both boundary and hatch

2.4  Edit in the ctb configuration, the 255 color “screening” must be set to “0”

2.5  Adjust the “_draworder” to make the hatch and boundary be “Above” or in “front” of the area you want tohide

2.6  Well done!

2.7  Note that if you have some xref, please follow the suggestion in this topic:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Express-Tools/Circular-wipeout/td-p/359654

3. Create a Polygon with many vertices

3.1  The title says all.. Easy to simulate a circle shape wipeout..

Any comments, suggestions, improvements are Welcome!

Please, feel free to mark any response clicking on "Accept as Solution" button if it answers your question

Kind regards,
Sergio

Sergio Bertino
Valued Mentor
KLYPHY
Message 2 of 4 (7,252 Views)

Re: Circular Wipeout - How to.. The ultimate guide

03-05-2012 06:09 AM in reply to: sergio.bertino

I have used your 1st & 3rd methods before.

Your 2nd one is clever.

Thanks for sharing.

Read Ya Later -KLYPH

DonnyP
Message 3 of 4 (4,596 Views)

09-16-2013 12:41 AM in reply to: sergio.bertino

thank for the insight. great options all 3

Active Contributor
GeniAdam_24
Message 4 of 4 (4,542 Views)

09-18-2013 01:01 PM in reply to: sergio.bertino
seems like legit solutions..not knocking them but this is how I do it.
I just make a polygon with 360 or 720 'sides' (more or less as desired), depending on circle size and desired resolution. then I 'wipeout-> polyline' if you delete the polyline you don't get 'centre' and 'quadrant' snaps, but that can be worked around.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube