AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
nothin
Message 1 of 2 (100 Views)

Changing Part Descriptions using excel

100 Views, 1 Replies
03-30-2012 03:26 PM

I have a set of part descriptions that need to be changed. Each part description corresponds to a part number. See the example below of what it would look like in AutoCAD.

123     screw

265     bolt

847     washer

But this list can get really long. Each part number and each description is a seperate text string or mtext string.

I plan on having an excel spreadsheet that has a list of all part numbers that my company uses with their corresponding descriptions.

I would like to use the part number to find the appropriate description and then change the description.

Hopefully this can be done automatically for a list of part numbers and their descriptions.

Is there a way to do this?

Mentor
BrentBurgess1980
Message 2 of 2 (83 Views)

Re: Changing Part Descriptions using excel

04-02-2012 12:46 AM in reply to: nothin

i might have picked up the wrong end of the stick, but have you looked at the datalink manager (Tools -> Data Links -> Data Link Manager...)

You can link the excel sheet to the drawing, similar to an xref, so when the excel file changes, you will get a notification bubble down the bottom right

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube