AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Mentor
Nik-D
Message 31 of 39 (600 Views)

Re: Cannot Decrease Size of Drawing File

03-15-2013 03:54 PM in reply to: steven-g

I too found thousands of objects after deleting everything i could find and purging the drawing. When I tried to audit the drawin i got the the following: (extract from the audit log):

Auditing Entities Pass 1

Pass 1 256800  objects audited
Auditing Entities Pass 2

Pass 2 256800  objects audited
Auditing Blocks

15717   Blocks audited

Total errors found 0 fixed 0

Erased 0 objects

As a workaround, I turned on all layers then I tried to XREF the drawing into a new drawing and then BIND/INSERT the drawing to bring through used objects however I got the following error message:

Error: At least one of the specified xrefs failed to bind due to a problem with
a proxy object.

Maybe someone can shed some light on this

Distinguished Contributor
doben
Message 32 of 39 (594 Views)

03-15-2013 11:11 PM in reply to: bt1101011

Maybe those blocks consisted of lots of lines etc.? -Try this : Type `list' then `a' (for all) to see how many entities are in the drawing.  This should reflect the file size.

Valued Mentor
steven-g
Message 33 of 39 (587 Views)

03-16-2013 03:51 AM in reply to: Nik-D

Yeah thats the info I got after audit, there does appear to be workarounds WBLOCK worked for me, but I'm intrigued as to what the problem is in the first place.

I have noticed in my own drawings if I edit blocks and regen, then do a purge, that there are lots of annonymous blocks being purged. I think these are created when blocks are altered forming a sort of backup, my guess is that in this case somehow these are being either ignored or they have lost there references/handles so autocad can't pick them up, my question would be what is causing this in the first place. I would be concerned that drawing files are larger than needed, I often have to split files because they become to large to be workable. And having to use workarounds surely is not why people spend a lot of money buying 'proffesional' software, that apears to rely on volunteers to solve it's issues. Though having said that the issue may well be because of third party involvement by add ons or other drawing packages involved in the design process. 

Regards Steven Gray
Setting Out (Joinery Manufacturing)
Autocad 2013LT
Windows 7 professional
*Expert Elite*
hmsilva
Message 34 of 39 (582 Views)

03-16-2013 05:00 AM in reply to: bt1101011

bt1101011,

as far as I could see, your dwg is the result of several files, originally created by other software and with a different format than dwg, when they are exported to dwg they came with too much information, which is not necessary to AutoCAD. As I had said in my other post, the best thing you can do, when you have a dwg that was made with other software, or when having a dwg with a size much larger than think we should have, is to create a new dwg using the command "wblock" and the "Entire drawing" option, AutoCAD will write a new file with only the needed information for this new dwg. In this specific case, the original dwg "X-ME-ZC-01-332-WIP-RCP_02" had 8.703 KB, after I create a new dwg, only using the command "wblock" and the "Entire drawing" option, the new file became with 600 KB (the file I post before), after I open thw new dwg, with "audit", then detach the xrefs, then "purge" and have erased a lot of door blocks, text and other blocks, they were about 770972200.00 (units) away from what I think it is your main drawing, "purge" again, and save, the file file became with 223 KB, 4400 objects, 238 blocks, 0 layer filters, 69 layers, 3 linetype...

So, for me, the best thing you can do to reduce the size of your file, is start with  "wblock" and the "Entire drawing" option...

Hope that helps Henrique

Mentor
Nik-D
Message 35 of 39 (525 Views)

03-26-2013 07:08 AM in reply to: hmsilva

I have just encountered this problem again. We had a simple drawing that had blocks which originated in Microstation.

The drawings in Autocad were siomple but were approx 4.5MB in size. When the drawing had been emptied purged audited purged etc etc so that there was nothing left the drawing was still 4.15MB.

The solution we used in the end was to export the drawing to DGN format and then reimport the drawing to DWG format. The final file size was approx 90KB

HTH

*Expert Elite*
hmsilva
Message 36 of 39 (522 Views)

03-26-2013 07:58 AM in reply to: Nik-D

Nik-D wrote:
I have just encountered this problem again. We had a simple drawing that had blocks which originated in Microstation.
The drawings in Autocad were siomple but were approx 4.5MB in size. When the drawing had been emptied purged audited purged etc etc so that there was nothing left the drawing was still 4.15MB.
The solution we used in the end was to export the drawing to DGN format and then reimport the drawing to DWG format. The final file size was approx 90KB

Nik,
only for testing purpose, from the original dwg, do you have the possibility to create a wblock, with the option entire drawing, and tell me what's the new drawing size...
if so, I will be very grateful, because I don't have any file with these characteristics for testing.

Cheers
Henrique

Mentor
Nik-D
Message 37 of 39 (519 Views)

03-26-2013 08:32 AM in reply to: hmsilva

I tried the WBLOCK method with entire dwawing selected. It made no difference to the file size. In fact I copied a single line from the corrupted drawing to a new drawing. The new file was 4.15MB in size for a single line!

*Expert Elite*
hmsilva
Message 38 of 39 (516 Views)

03-26-2013 08:35 AM in reply to: Nik-D

Ok,

thank you, Nik!

Contributor
bt1101011
Message 39 of 39 (513 Views)

03-26-2013 12:49 PM in reply to: Nik-D
Thanks for that Nik. My colleague took the file home and on his autocad 2012 sp2 he solved it by exporting out to dxf, then importing it back in and purging. This worked, the purge removed lots of AEC information, our machines in work are still without sp2 but it appears that be part of the solution.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube