Did you mean: 

Can't reassign F1 key to Cancel

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
pmarx
1117 Views, 9 Replies

Can't reassign F1 key to Cancel

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I open CUI, drag cancel up into the shortcut keys, but when I go to "access" in the properties window and press the F1 key, I get a message that it's already assigned and the entry defaults to SHIFT F1. Which is, of course useless for the reason I want to reassign the key. This is for AutoCAD 2012. I'm grateful for any help.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
steve216586
in reply to: pmarx

AFAIK the F1 key is the only one you cannot redefine. It is meant for HELP and Autodesk keeps it that way internally. Esc is really close to F1 anyway???

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 3 of 10
sthompson1021

Hi, when you go to access you have to click on Keys and then click on the 3 dots to get another window where you can type F1

Message 4 of 10
pmarx
in reply to: sthompson1021

Thank you for replying.

sthompson1021, I am doing exactly that but it's when I press F1, the assignment defaults to SHIFT F1. Which is as useful as mammary glands on a bull for my purpose.

steve216586, with all due respect, the F1 key can be reassigned. Lynn Allen has told us so for years. I have done it before. As a matter of fact, I just did it on someone else's computer (for which they were very grateful.) I just can't do it for mine.

http://lynn.blogs.com/lynn_allens_blog/2005/10/the_best_autoca.html

Message 5 of 10
steve216586

Thanks for the update. I have seen many threads in the past trying to do this with no success. I have heard it done through ACCELERATORS in the old .mnr file but that doesn't exist any more. That is the only reason for my response and the "AFAIK". I just changed mine. Good tip!  😉

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. "-Eleanor Roosevelt
Message 6 of 10
sthompson1021

Not sure why it's not working for you, thats the same tip I've used since r2008 and it works on 2014 too. Does your company have an enterprise CUI that you can't change and your working in a custum CUI? Not sure if that would make a differance or not.

Message 7 of 10
pmarx
in reply to: sthompson1021

I'm not sure about that but I tend to doubt it. I have been able to do this before. I'm perfectly willing to concede that I did something wrong but I have no idea what. I may leave word for the IT person to see if they can get to the bottom of this. Again thank you all for responding.

Message 8 of 10
GrantsPirate

F1 is re-definable, I have mine set for endpoint. When you hit F1 make sure the caps lock is off. The program may tell you it is already assigned but just accept and close the CUI.

GrantsPirate
Piping and Mech. Designer
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Always save a copy of the drawing before trying anything suggested here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If something I wrote can be interpreted two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant the other one.

Message 9 of 10
pmarx
in reply to: GrantsPirate

Cap locks. Hmmm. Thanks, I'll try that.

Message 10 of 10
pmarx

Thanks GP. I can't say for sure that had had Caps Lock on the first time but I made sure it was off when I tried this operation again and it worked as expected. Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost