Contributor
goeagles7817
Message 1 of 7 (408 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't install network license utility

408 Views, 6 Replies
08-07-2012 08:14 AM

Hello,

I've installed the LM Tools license manager on a network server to distribute out floating license of AutoCAD 2010.  The network license currently has 5 floating licenses for AutoCAD 2010.  When I try and install the AutoCAD 2010 software on a client machine and go under "Install Tools and Utilities" I expect to see a choice for the Network License Activation Utility.  Unfortunately all I get is the options to install the License Manager (LM Tools), CAD Manager Tools, and SAMreport-Lite.  Nothing indicating an Activation Utility.

I may just be very oblivious but I'm not sure how to activate the program with the license server when I can't install the utility to do so.  Am I missing a step somewhere?  I have a feeling the answer is very obvious but I unfortunately can't see it.  The SN and Product Key are entered correctly and should reflect the type of license(s) they are.  I'd appreciate any help I can get.  Thank you.

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 2 of 7 (399 Views)

Re: Can't install network license utility

08-07-2012 10:23 AM in reply to: goeagles7817

You only need to install the Autodesk Network License Manager (LMTOOLS) on the server.  Nothing needs to be installed on the client machines except the network licensed version of the product pointing back to the NLM server. 

If you need to get your license file updated, you need to contact Autodesk Activations:

http://en.autodesk.ca/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=9719649&id=9830778

1-800-551-1490 > Option 1 (English) > Option 2 > (Network)

Asia / Pacific: 65.6735.5688
Europe / Middle East / Asia: 41.32.723.9595

You will need to provide your serial number and ethernet ID of the new license server.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
Contributor
goeagles7817
Message 3 of 7 (397 Views)

08-07-2012 10:39 AM in reply to: TravisNave

thanks for the reply Travis.

I have a few more tidbits to share.  I'll go back to the begining.

I had called before all of this to recieve an activation code when I was prompted after first installing AutoCAD on the client's PC (tried doing it online but it didn't recognize the SN naturally).  I had thought we only owned a stand alone license of AutoCAD 2010 (my predesessor had purchased this and I had no info about it).  I had talked to the Autodesk activation group and they told me I didn't have a stand along license but I had 5 network licenses and I needed to install the License Manager first.  The autodesk staff member ended up sending me the license file to read into the License Manager and that after that I shouldn't have problems.  So I believe I have an updated license file.  It has been read into the LMTOOLS manager and is working fine.  So I went back to install AutoCAD 2010 on the client's PC again.

After it had installed I opened up AutoCAD and it asked to be activated again.  This confused me since I figured it would've sensed/searched for the license manager and then would've grabbed a license.  I read up on some help topics and saw something about a Network License Utility that could be installed.  Unfortunately I didn't have that to be selected so that's why I am confused as to what to do next.

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 4 of 7 (393 Views)

08-07-2012 10:57 AM in reply to: goeagles7817

Ah, I understand your problem.  Your clients are not installed correctly.  If they are asking for activation, they are expecting a stand-alone serial number and you do not have that.  Your only recourse is to uninstall the clients and reinstall them as network versions.  By default it installs as stand-alone so you will have to change the options to choose network version and point to the NLM server that was configured for your license file.  At that point, you should be all set.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                       Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave
Contributor
goeagles7817
Message 5 of 7 (390 Views)

08-07-2012 11:10 AM in reply to: TravisNave

Yes, I see what I missed now.  During client installation I noticed it was set for a stand alone license product.  This time though the "Configure License" button caught my eye.  That is where I could change it from Stand alone to a network license and point the install to the correct server where LM Tools was hosted.  I have no idea how i missed that but I did.  Obliviousness!  Thank you.

*Expert Elite*
TravisNave
Message 6 of 7 (388 Views)

08-07-2012 11:11 AM in reply to: goeagles7817

You'd be surprised how common this is!  :smileyvery-happy:

Glad you're on the right track now.  If you have any more problems after the install, gimme a holler. 

Contributor
goeagles7817
Message 7 of 7 (386 Views)

08-07-2012 11:15 AM in reply to: TravisNave

Will do.  Thank you again ! :smileyhappy:

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube