AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Mentor
jbear0000
Message 1 of 8 (1,455 Views)
Accepted Solution

Cache all layout tabs at the same time

1455 Views, 7 Replies
07-25-2011 11:05 AM

In the options I have "Cache model tab and all layouts" selected. My computer has 12 GB of memory so it does this well. However the first time I switch to a tab it takes a while. Is there anyway to automatically cache all of them at once even before I switch to them? That way I can just get them all cached and work on something else while waiting a long time instead of waiting over and over for short periods of time.

*Expert Elite*
M_Hensley
Message 2 of 8 (1,446 Views)

Re: Cache all layout tabs at the same time

07-25-2011 12:08 PM in reply to: jbear0000

Instead of caching layouts try setting it to regen when switching layouts. Since most regens are pretty fast these days this will usually give you the fastest way to switch between layouts. (Also it won't use up all your memory by storing all those layout displays.)

Mentor
jbear0000
Message 3 of 8 (1,442 Views)

07-25-2011 12:23 PM in reply to: M_Hensley

That is the opposite of what I want, I have tons of memory and I want to take advatage of it. By setting it to regen every time it is slow, but once a layout is cached then it swicthes really fast. I just want to cach all of them in one shot.

Distinguished Mentor
Moshe-A
Message 4 of 8 (1,428 Views)

07-25-2011 02:35 PM in reply to: jbear0000

jbear0000 wrote:

In the options I have "Cache model tab and all layouts" selected. My computer has 12 GB of memory so it does this well. However the first time I switch to a tab it takes a while. Is there anyway to automatically cache all of them at once even before I switch to them? That way I can just get them all cached and work on something else while waiting a long time instead of waiting over and over for short periods of time.

JBear,

That how AutoCAD handles it's display list

when you set "Cache model tab and all layouts" (it's the default) it means:-

when you first open your dwg (in model) the Model tab goes to Cache, when you switch to a Layout tab, that layout appended to Cache and so on. the second time you switch a layout tab it will be from Cache.

Cheers

Moshe

Mentor
jbear0000
Message 5 of 8 (1,401 Views)

07-26-2011 05:18 AM in reply to: Moshe-A

Moshe, I know that this is how it works, that isn't what I am asking about. I am asking if anyone knows a command or of a lisp that will force autocad to load them all. Even if it takes a few minutes. I would rather get the waiting done all in one shot instead of waiting 15 times. While it is caching them I could get coffee, work on something else etc. Then when it is done caching I can come back to autocad and it will switch layout tabs quickly.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 8 (1,398 Views)

07-26-2011 06:16 AM in reply to: jbear0000
Distinguished Mentor
Moshe-A
Message 7 of 8 (1,384 Views)

07-26-2011 01:09 PM in reply to: jbear0000

jbear0000 wrote:

Moshe, I know that this is how it works, that isn't what I am asking about. I am asking if anyone knows a command or of a lisp that will force autocad to load them all. Even if it takes a few minutes. I would rather get the waiting done all in one shot instead of waiting 15 times. While it is caching them I could get coffee, work on something else etc. Then when it is done caching I can come back to autocad and it will switch layout tabs quickly.

attached is a lisp file (made special for you) cache_all_layouts.lsp

load it manually for each dwg with alot of layouts

in order to automaticlly run it each time you open a dwg put it in

application load startup suite. not that openning will be much delayed.

cheers

moshe

Mentor
jbear0000
Message 8 of 8 (1,378 Views)

07-26-2011 01:22 PM in reply to: Moshe-A

Moshe, thanks, that is just what I needed, it works great.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube