Bulk Editing Attributes in Multiple Blocks

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Davidframe
39125 Views, 14 Replies

Bulk Editing Attributes in Multiple Blocks

Hello,

I am designing a solar field and have my solar panels laid out in a grid. I have each panel represented as a block with 4 attributes: Column, Row, Module Type, and Combiner Box. There are ~5,000 panels so it will take forever to modify the attributes of each block individually. Is there a way I can select multiple blocks (an entire column for instance) and set the "Column" attribute for ALL of those blocks to the appropriate value? 

My end goal is to be able to export the information in those blocks to excel. So if there is any way to tie 4 pieces of information to an object and export it into excel not using block attributes, that would work for me as well. 

I attempted to use Lee Mac's Batch Attribute Editor BAtteV1-4.lsp and it was very close to what I needed. But it will modify the specified attribute of all blocks within a drawing, whereas I only want to modify the attributes of all blocks within a selection.

Thanks for the help!

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Davidframe

Can you Crossing Window just that Column and then Use Properties window or the Quick Properties window to update the needed Attrib?

Seems the simplest to me without using a Lisp or other additional routine.

Message 3 of 15
Davidframe
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Well...... I feel incredibly stupid right now. I didnt realize that a block's attributes showed up in the properties window. Thanks for pointing that out you have solved my problem. 

Message 4 of 15
Charles_Shade

We ALL get kicked in the pants from time to time.

Too many tools at our fingertips and as I have been reminded on more than one occasion somtimes the simple fix gets overlooked.

Message 5 of 15
johnberryus
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I have a related question to this topic.

I have as part of my Title Block a block that lists Materials being used for a job. There are times when I have 30 or more pages and some designer changes the color on me is there a way to edit Attribute Values in all the blocks across paper space when I cant select all of them?

Normaly "find and replace" would work but in this instance I need to add a material so I have to edit an Attribute that does not currently have a value.

Help?!

John Berry

Message 6 of 15
3wood
in reply to: johnberryus

@johnberryus wrote:

I have a related question to this topic.

I have as part of my Title Block a block that lists Materials being used for a job. There are times when I have 30 or more pages and some designer changes the color on me is there a way to edit Attribute Values in all the blocks across paper space when I cant select all of them?

Normaly "find and replace" would work but in this instance I need to add a material so I have to edit an Attribute that does not currently have a value.

Help?!

John Berry

Please refer to my solution in the post below:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014-2015/How-to-export-attributes-of-multiple-blocks-fro...

Just change the block name in code (cons 2 "titleblock") to your title block's name.

Message 7 of 15
johnberryus
in reply to: 3wood

3Wood,

Your code does not work when I paste it into the command line. 

I get the following feedback:

"

Command: (ssget LISP command is not available.

Command: "_X" Unknown command ""_X"". Press F1 for help.

Command: (list LISP command is not available.

Command: (cons LISP command is not available.

Command: 0 Unknown command "0". Press F1 for help.

Command: "INSERT")(cons Unknown command ""INSERT")(CONS". Press F1 for help.

Command: 2 Unknown command "2". Press F1 for help.

Command: "title_MATERIAL_INFO"))))*Cancel*

"

If this is supposed to activate a lisp routine I may have a problem, We are using an OEM version of of 2012 that comes with our engineering software Lisp routines are disabled.

Any other advice you could give me?

Message 8 of 15
3wood

@johnberryus wrote:

If this is supposed to activate a lisp routine I may have a problem, We are using an OEM version of of 2012 that comes with our engineering software Lisp routines are disabled. 

Any other advice you could give me?

It is related to activating a lisp routine. If you are not able to use any lisp routine in the computer, then I guess you have to do the task all manually.

Message 9 of 15
johnberryus

Thanks 3wood,

I was afraid of that, when I discovered this version comes with not only lisps disabled, but no express tools, and you can't even use the Macro function, I was pretty disapointed.

Thanks for your help.

Message 10 of 15
MarySeufert

If the attributes are all from the same block, edit the block definition and then use ATTSYNC.

EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Message 11 of 15
myownrefugee

I have a few blocks consisting of normal text

for ex:

CV x

ct = 233.493

cr = 231.484

as = 1.89

Is there any way to make a macro or something to just increment the CV x value of the next selected block.

Basically if the first block looks like this:

CV 12

ct = 233.493

cr = 231.484

as = 1.89

The next should look like this:

CV 13

ct = 245.391

cr = 244.391

as = 1.00

and so on. Please help

Edit: Made a new thread.

Message 12 of 15
3wood
in reply to: myownrefugee

@myownrefugee wrote:

I have a few blocks consisting of normal text

for ex:

CV x

ct = 233.493

cr = 231.484

as = 1.89

Is there any way to make a macro or something to just increment the CV x value of the next selected block.

Basically if the first block looks like this:

CV 12

ct = 233.493

cr = 231.484

as = 1.89

The next should look like this:

CV 13

ct = 245.391

cr = 244.391

as = 1.00

and so on. Please help

Edit: Made a new thread.

You can try ALTEXT.

Message 13 of 15
myownrefugee

For some reason I have no such command 

Im using autocad 2014 ...

The blocks are already generated and they have no attributes just text 

Message 14 of 15
koze1us

I had a somewhat similar experience and i found a great app you can use.

Check https://apps.autodesk.com/ACD/en/Detail/Index?id=966086187558745528&appLang=en&os=Win32_64&autostart...

The program provides the user with the ability to:

• Modify multiple attribute values across selected drawings.

• Modify attributes in all blocks with block name matching a given wildcard pattern.

• Use Field Expressions in attribute values.

• Increment attribute values across each processed drawing.

• Select blocks from the active drawing to use with the program.

• Import / Export a list of attributes to be edited from a Text or CSV file.

• Select multiple drawings to be processed from multiple directories.

Message 15 of 15
mybiglincoln

Confirm the name of the block in the drawing.  Insert it at full scale and zero rotation at a known insertion point.  Edit it entirely.  Re-block it.  W blocking it to itself via file is helpful.  Save it to a known location once creating a good working block of it.  In your drawing with those incorrect configuration blocks, insert that new block via the same name into the drawing via browsing to the location where it resides.  Allow it to update.  Probably still not fixed!  

You can try command BATTMAN.  There is a button "Sync" at top right corner, after you edited the text color definition; just press that button to update all attributes.

Go through each attribute sections, and hit source.  This ought to fix all of your blocks at once.

It involves a few steps, but it appears to be the most doable means for accomplishing this.  Happy editing!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost