AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
Dave_B
Message 1 of 5 (351 Views)

Bug? moved entities in model space, they did not move in Paper space viewport

351 Views, 4 Replies
06-23-2011 01:11 PM

In Acad 2011 / Acad Mech 2011, keep an eye out for this strange phenomenon.  I moved some entities in Model Space, but the things – lines, text, and dimensions – didn’t move in Paper Space.  That is, I had some entities in model space (pure old-fashioned model space, not model-space-via-the-paper-space viewport) and everything looked right in paper space.  At some point, I moved some of the model space entities.  When I went to paper space, the selection had not moved as it had in model space.   I tried all the things I could think of like more than one viewports, things in blocks, regenall, whatever.  Someone here at the office said that Annotation scaling can cause strange stuff to happen, but I don’t think I have that turned on.  I tried moving stuff in both model-space-inside-paper-space and in pure Model Space.  The selected objects would move like you’d expect them, but they’d be out of synch in model space & paper space.  Closing Acad, even logging out of Windows & restarting Acad did not fix the problem.  I have AutoCAD Mechanical 2011 running in Acad in vanilla mode.  I don’t think I have the Mechanical update 1 installed.

I finally got the drawing to behave by erasing the single paper space viewport and adding a new one. 

I don't believe this is a graphics card / hardware problem since my hardware is recent & it's an expensive graphics card.  OS is Windows XP.

In the images attached, the transformer pad moved in model space as expected, but after switching to paper space, the transformer did not move.  Even after regen, regenall, closing & re-opening & auditing the dwg, etc.  I added the blue circle in the general area of the selection set - I added it in in model space after the move - showed up in the right spot in paper space.

*Pro
nestly
Message 2 of 5 (292 Views)

Re: Bug? moved entities in model space, they did not move in Paper space viewpor

06-24-2011 03:07 AM in reply to: Dave_B

I would say it's impossible to move an object in modelspace and have the same object not move in the paperspace viewport.

Most likely, you have two copies on different layers, or as you colleages said, it's annotative, which basically means AutoCAD creates a copy of the object for every scale.

Post a sample drawing if possible.

Mentor
SugarCAD
Message 3 of 5 (283 Views)

Re: Bug? moved entities in model space, they did not move in Paper space viewpor

06-24-2011 04:34 AM in reply to: nestly

How was the viewport created?

Contributor
Dave_B
Message 4 of 5 (280 Views)

06-24-2011 06:17 AM in reply to: nestly

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, it was strange.  I tried duplicating the phenomenon this morning using the original dwg & trying to re-trace my steps, but I can't make the drawing mess up again (having a Horton Hears A Who moment).  There are no extra copies of the objects anywhere.  I don't know the first thing about annotative objects, I'll have to read up on them someday. 

I remember long ago that early display list processors would boost performance as advertised, but every now and then they would show you something different than how the drawing actually looked.  A regen would usually fix the problem.  I haven't seen that kind of thing happening for a long time.

Contributor
Dave_B
Message 5 of 5 (278 Views)

06-24-2011 06:21 AM in reply to: SugarCAD

Thanks for your reply.  I'm  not sure how the viewport was created: It was a drawing from 2006 that I was updating.  Sorry, I can't post the drawing as it is - my company won't allow that - but if I can make it a generic dwg (strip out the proprietary stuiff) & still can make it mess up, I will post that

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube