Did you mean: 

Blank Dwg file too BIG.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
longa96
3896 Views, 19 Replies

Blank Dwg file too BIG.

Hello everybody,

I have a project with a set of files and all the files on this project are huge!. I tried to clean the files (erase unnecesary objects, Purge, Audit, etc, etc) and nothing still 7mb! I even erased everything, but still the file size is 7MB. Any idea why this is happening? I'll apreciate any help. Thank you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lw18al54fkr2ual/X%20TEST_General%20Notes.dwg

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
tbennett
in reply to: longa96

What fonts are you using?  Some fonts can be enormous hogs.

Do you have a lot of images or wipeouts?

Have you looked to see if your blocks have multiple nested blocks (blocks within blocks)?

Please mark "Accept as Solution" if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Message 3 of 20
longa96
in reply to: tbennett

Just two style one with romans and the other one with arial. No blocks, no images or wipeouts. I loaded the file in my dropbox, if you can please take a look at it. Thank you.

Message 4 of 20
Patchy

Seems like it has millions of hatch pattern from microstation or something different from autocad. There is a hot fix posted from autodesk to get rid of dgn stuff, you might give it a try.

Message 5 of 20
hmsilva

Lot of hatches and ltypes...

Command:Wblock -> Source:Entire drawing

the new file was left with 88kb

Henrique

EESignature

Message 6 of 20
rkmcswain

@longa96 wrote:

Any idea why this is happening? 

It's full of Microstation linetype garbage for starters..

Purged 16 unreferenced complex linetype records (of 16).
Purged 113803 unreferenced strokes (of 113803).

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 7 of 20
longa96
in reply to: hmsilva

Henrique, I run the WBlock command saved and the file is still at the same size. You did something else than just WBlock..Please could you explain me with little more details. Thank you for your response

Message 8 of 20
longa96
in reply to: rkmcswain

Thank you, Do you know I can get rid off it?

Message 9 of 20
rkmcswain

You need the code that Kean has posted here.

If you don't have a way to compile it properly, then I think you'll have to wait on Autodesk to release the ready-to-use .DLL file. 

Personally, I would start over with a new, empty template and add back the things I need.

Even if it takes a couple of hours. You can't overstate the value of a nice clean template.

Message 10 of 20
longa96
in reply to: rkmcswain

I did it! and everytime I copy something to my new clean templete the size increased astronomically..

Message 11 of 20
rkmcswain

Correct. You cannot copy and paste stuff from one of these "infected" drawings, because all that garbage comes along with it.

Message 12 of 20
hmsilva

@longa96 wrote:

Henrique, I run the WBlock command saved and the file is still at the same size. You did something else than just WBlock..Please could you explain me with little more details. Thank you for your response

longa96,

just wblock, nothing more... (AutoCAD 2012)

wb_all.PNG

Henrique

EESignature

Message 13 of 20
pendean
in reply to: hmsilva

I can confirm WBLOCK is the simpler fix here: went down to 77kb from 7+MB. But it left most unique DWG settings behind so you might as well have simply started a new DWG from the Autodesk ACAD.DWG template file.
Is that what the OP needs, an empty file with few specific settings?
Message 14 of 20
hmsilva
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
I can confirm WBLOCK is the simpler fix here: went down to 77kb from 7+MB. But it left most unique DWG settings behind so you might as well have simply started a new DWG from the Autodesk ACAD.DWG template file.
Is that what the OP needs, an empty file with few specific settings?

Dean,

when I receive some dwg from outside the office, what I normally do is:

- Recover

- Purge

- Wblock, Entire drawing...

It's usually enough to just let at the dwg, the linetypes, dim styles, hatches, text styles, etc, that are in use, and substantially reduces the file size.

"Is that what the OP needs, an empty file with few specific settings?"

That, I really dont know!

Cheers

Henrique

EESignature

Message 15 of 20
abubakars

This may help you to clean up dgn linetype from multiple drawings without opening them using BatchInDatabase tool (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3l3JhJCVJ8) which will be available in Autodesk Exchange as free tool within this week, or you can download it from http://www.CADManagerTools.com .

Message 16 of 20
abzaidan

I have the same problem, i use AutoCAD 2013 the file volume is 40 Mb. and be come crash (cannot opened).

I am lucky to always save files into AutoCAD 2004 format, I then tried to open it with AutoCAD 2006 and a copy of the entire object into a new file and successfully. file to 200 kb.

Message 17 of 20
stanfordri
in reply to: abzaidan
Message 18 of 20
munirFT4CC

I have a project with a set of files and all the files on this project are huge!. I tried to clean the files (erase unnecesary objects, Purge, Audit, etc, etc) and nothing still 21mb! I even erased everything, but still the file size is 21MB. Any idea why this is happening? I'll apreciate any help. Thank you.

Message 19 of 20
pendean
in reply to: munirFT4CC
Message 20 of 20
drjohn

I've always had luck with the DXF OUT > DXF IN (to new drawing file) > PURGE

HTH

Regards,

DJ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost