AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 21 of 44 (1,535 Views)

Re: Autosave, AGAIN!

01-10-2011 10:03 AM in reply to: JBozz300

JBozz300 wrote:

You know I hear several of y'all bagging on him for relying on the autosave as though this is an actual means of saving your work when most people use this "Command" as a fall back for when your drawing crashes on you.  Yet none of you actually give any good advice other than "Save your work".  I currently use C3D 2011 and have been using Autocad since version 9 and have never once expected the autosave to just be my save, but I know of several times where it saved me.  Seems to me like if you are using a simple command like move and it crashes then you are bashed for not saving beforehand....so do you all "SAVE" before each and every command you run?  Or do you just go like 15 miutes and then save?  Please tell us your actual mode of operations so we can cad like y'all. 

I don't think the issue here is "how do you save", or "should you rely on Autosave?". The OP said Autosave keeps getting turned off. Two possible solutions were provided in the 4th reply.

Personally, I save when I think it's required. Maybe if I'm about to run a complex command or if I just completed something I know I do not want to lose, I QSAVE. That may be every command or it may be a 10 minute gap. I can count on one hand the number of times I needed a .sv$ file over the last 15+ years because of this habit. 

I think what everyone is saying about autosave is that you should not RELY on it because its design is frequently misunderstood and you might think a file is going to be there and its not. On the other hand Ctrl+S works period, everytime, excluding file system or network problems.

Distinguished Contributor
DP-Mike
Message 22 of 44 (1,520 Views)

01-10-2011 01:17 PM in reply to: TrevN

Since CAD 12 I've used Autosave at 5 minute intervals. The only time it was more was right before WIN XP, when my computer was too slow for the software. And in my years of drafting, having autosave on has saved my butt countless times. Networks crash, computers crash, e-mail viruses have destroyed hardrives, floppy disc's and zip drives get corrupted, etc..; however, of all those times I can't say the 5 minutes was crucial. Besides, I usually know what I did 5 minutes ago... 10's a different matter all together.

On the QSAVE side, I'm one who saves so often it's built into my muscle memory. I've walked away from a drafting table tapping my fingers trying to hit ALT+F+S. My kids laugh when I tap the stove before going across the kitchen to get more ingredients for their dinner. I've staired at several computer game screens waiting for it to recover from the momentary pause after autosaving that it doesn't even do. And I can't tell you how many times I've found the letters "fs" inside an Excell Spreadsheet Cell. Everytime my brain realizes I'm changing focus from one thing to the next my left hand starts twitching. I guess my point is if you do it enough you'll not even realize you're doing it. So I ask, why not save right before publish? Better yet, add "qsave;" to the macro before publish? Atleast then you'll have your last print.

ssx_Autodesk
Message 23 of 44 (1,490 Views)

01-11-2011 03:17 PM in reply to: TrevN

do you expect every piece of software to do automatic saves?  word, excel, acrobat.  what if you're doing a complicated set of edits and realize that you completely missed a step way back in the beginning and BAM! AUTOSAVED!  (this is why i hate microstation and their more "database" approach)

no one expects software to do their saves for them.  i only hear (my) users complain about autocad.

to help a bit, i've set QS to be my alias for QSAVE - a simple middle, pointer, thumb action and you've got a saved drawing.  of course, if you're a button pushing type, its prob less convenient.  

but no one should be a button pushing type.  :smileyhappy:  cleanscreen ftw.

Message 24 of 44 (1,485 Views)

01-11-2011 04:06 PM in reply to: ssx_Autodesk

I've argued key-stroke versus mouse click before and the only result is everyone does things and feels they are most efficient in their own way.

As for the Autosave issue, I added a little code to my qsave macro that sets SAVETIME to 5, therefore everytime I save, Autosave is turned back on and set to 5 minutes.

Valued Contributor
TickleMeElmo
Message 25 of 44 (1,466 Views)

01-12-2011 12:05 AM in reply to: DP-Mike

tbh I've not read all of this thread so 1000 humble apologies if this already said.....

I absolutely love the way Inventor does this - a subtle little popup balloon notification along the lines of "Hey, big fulla - you haven't saved in a while.  Are you an edgy risk-taking guy who gets an adrenaline rush from the prospect of losing hours of work, or are you simply absent minded.  Either way, you may want to think about saving soon".  This means I can save at the end of a logical stanza of work, not at some arbitary point in time (autosave) where I'm partway through something.

If more programs did it that way the world would be a better place.

jmthomas1987
Message 26 of 44 (1,309 Views)

02-22-2011 07:30 AM in reply to: hardin

Thank you for the code, I will add it to my autocad2011doc.lsp. It is greatly appreciated. I have not done any Autolisp work in a few years, so again, thanks.

To everyone saying "You are responsible for saving, not the software.",  I DO NOT "rely" on the program for saving.

That was not my point.

If you can't have software that is stable and lets you concentrate on your work without having to do work-arounds and waste time compenstaing for iffy code, why pay for subscription just to have the "privilege" of running sketchy code on an even sketchier OS.

This bug appeared with AC2004 and I read on another post just today it is tied to plotting in the background not resetting the autosave value after zeroing it out to prevent saving during a plot.  I can understand the reasoning for this.

What I do not understand is why a simple function call has not ben written into the core code to address this problem.  All that would be needed is to have the background plot function status verified whether it is running, and if so, to delay the autosave function until completion.

I have been working on computers and programming since 1983, so I do have "some" experience with code. And no, I don't know how to write the function.  Without the source code and correct compiler, that is impossible.

*Expert Elite*
JDMather
Message 27 of 44 (1,301 Views)

02-22-2011 07:44 AM in reply to: jmthomas1987

The modern next-generation CAD programs I use don't even have an Autosave "feature" - only a reminder timer to tell you to do your job when you forget.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2014 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2015 64-bit
http://www.autodesk.com/edcommunity
http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/inventor_surface_tutorials.htm
*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 28 of 44 (1,284 Views)

02-22-2011 09:54 AM in reply to: jmthomas1987

jmthomas1987 wrote:

Thank you for the code, I will add it to my autocad2011doc.lsp.

Add it to your "acaddoc.lsp" instead.

"Acad20xxdoc.lsp" is "owned" by Autodesk, meaning that a repair, reinstall, upgrade, etc. may overwrite this file, losing your edits. "acaddoc.lsp" is a user file and the program will never touch it.

ssx_Autodesk
Message 29 of 44 (1,085 Views)

08-15-2011 09:16 AM in reply to: TrevN

my two cents...

i feel those that rely on software to save their work are less diligent than those that explicitly save at appropriate milestones.  i've also found that my users that are less diligent also tend to save blindly over files that they meant to "save-as" a different file (which also makes me cringe, but thats a different rant).

how do you guys work in other applicatinos that do not save your work for you? Control + S should be ingrained at this point in computing history.

Message 30 of 44 (1,062 Views)

08-15-2011 02:27 PM in reply to: ssx_Autodesk

I really don't think anyone here relies on Autosave to save their work for them. It's just nice to have that feature when one has a crash. I save frequently, but have, at times, salvaged a few minutes from an Autosave file. It is an annoying bug that AutoCAD resets autosave to 0 when a user publishes.  Everyone certainly has a right to complain about that one.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube