Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autocad can't see some fonts

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
radioatlas
10513 Views, 8 Replies

Autocad can't see some fonts

Some of my TrueType fonts won't load in AutoCAD 2011 on Windows 7. Some similar fonts of the same family are loading, but certain fonts (important ones, of course) don't show up in the Text Editor font drop-down menu. I even exported a dwg from Illustrator using the font in question, and it came in as substitued for the default face. Does anyone know what's happening? 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
rkmcswain
in reply to: radioatlas

If they are actual truetype fonts (TTF) and they are installed in Windows correctly, they should show up in AutoCAD just fine, just like they would for Microsoft Word or any other program.

After you installed the TTF in Windows, did you restart AutoCAD?
R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 3 of 9
jggerth1

If the missing fonts are actually OpenType, the newer and more capable generation of TrueType, then Acad has historically had issues recognizing them.

Look in the Fonts folder in Control Panel, and check the Properties of the font files

Message 4 of 9
radioatlas
in reply to: rkmcswain

They are TrueType, but it looks like they may not be installed correctly. I can see these fonts in Adobe programs, but not other Windows programs (e.g. MS Word). There is no 'install' option on right-click, but Windows tells me the font is installed when I try to install it again. 

Message 5 of 9
jggerth1

Lets' drop back a second.... Why do you think they are True Type?  

Note that as far as Windows (and most windows apps) are concerned, OpenType fonts and TrueType fonts are the same thing.  Unless you go digging into the properties, they'll just look like TTF

ex: I have a Chaparral Pro font installed, that looks like TTF, but Acad can't find it because it's really an OTF font.

What is the specific font that is the propblem?  

Message 6 of 9
radioatlas
in reply to: jggerth1

In explorer, the 'Item Type' property reads "TrueType font file."  It's part of the Univers family. 

Message 7 of 9
jggerth1

TreuType is a subset now of OpenType....  Looking at linotype.com - the UNIVERS family of fonts seems to be OpenType -- hard to say of course where your version came from....

In Control Panel Fonts, Open the font family in question, then right click and choose properties on one of the icons.  Attached is my Chaparall (That Acad can't see) followed by a Bauhaus that Acad _CAN  see.

First is .otf, second is .ttf

CHAP.PNG

bau.PNG

Message 8 of 9
smp
Observer
in reply to: jggerth1

Sorry to resurrect this topic, but I'm having this same issue and it's because the font I want to use is an Open Type Font. Is there any way for me to get this font to work in CAD? Are there any workarounds I can do to get this in my drawing?

Edit: I was able to resolve this by using this website to convert my Open Type Font to a True Type Font. Once I installed the TTF file AutoCAD could see it.

https://everythingfonts.com/otf-to-ttf

Message 9 of 9
jggerth1
in reply to: smp

Glad you got it sorted.

But, for some background information -- OTF is basically a superset of TTF,  Regardless of the type, if the font is based on Postscript outlines, AutoCAD can't deal with it.

Evidently the conversion routine you ran it through created a legit, non-PS outline font, which Acad can read and use.  Caveat -- license issues may preclude the use of a proprietary font in a conversion tool like that.  For safety, portability  (and legality) I always recommend using only fonts that come OOTB in Windows or AutoCAD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost