AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

Contributor
ehoskinson
Message 1 of 7 (1,055 Views)

Autocad 2010 Slow PDF printing

1055 Views, 6 Replies
06-14-2012 09:28 AM

Help--I import PDFs in Drawings and it takes forever to print.  PDFs are only 400KB, so not big files.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 7 (1,000 Views)

Re: Autocad 2010 Slow PDF printing

06-15-2012 05:19 AM in reply to: ehoskinson

What size is the print job? the PDF size is not important, it's what size the print job doing to your device is: PDFs are compressed until you bring them into AutoCAD, then they become uncompressed and the plot files are huge.

Find out by setting output to file, place that file on your desktop and list it in Windows. bet it's huge.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
Contributor
ehoskinson
Message 3 of 7 (976 Views)

06-18-2012 06:45 AM in reply to: ehoskinson

Pendean,

Thank you for your response.  The drawing size in only 400KB, so not that large.  The slowness is basically after I select Print Preview, it comes up in a couple of seconds, then it takes 2-3 minutes for it actually to start printing.  The print preview says ‘regenerating sheet’. 

I don’t actually know your terminology of ‘setting output to file’, but I checked the size of the drawing before and after inserting the PDF and it was only about 100KB different.  Is there a way of importing the PDF as a ‘block’ so it doesn’t ‘become uncompressed’?

Thanks for your help.

Eric

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 7 (971 Views)

06-18-2012 08:24 AM in reply to: ehoskinson

DWG file size is not important to your issue. PDF file size is not important to your issue.

The reason the plot function is slow I suspect is due to the size or the PRINT JOB: all programs, AutoCAD included, send information to a printer to print what you seek. When there is a lot of information it takes time. It can take a lot of time. I suspect that is your problem. Only way to confirm it is to plot to file so that you can see and comapre the plot job size to your DWG and PDF file sizes.

Your printer/plotter is fine with a 400k plot: but that is not what you are sending it, I suspect you are sending it a 10MB+ PRINT JOB sized file instead (again, this has nothing to do with your DWG or PDF file sizes). You don't control a print-job size, your driver and AutoCAD do based on the information being sent.

Contributor
ehoskinson
Message 5 of 7 (968 Views)

06-18-2012 09:06 AM in reply to: ehoskinson

Dean,

Thank you for your help.  I did the 'plot of file' and yes, the file is 6.2 MB.  A similar drawing, without a PDF was 780KB.  It is clear that you know what is happening.  However, in your wisdom, have you run across a 'work around' or another way of inserting PDFs into drawings so we don't have to wait for the Print Preview.  Any way of keeping the PDF as a 'block' so that it doesn't 'uncompress'?

I appreciate your help, but maybe aren't there any other options.

Eric

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 7 (965 Views)

06-18-2012 10:01 AM in reply to: ehoskinson

Sorry, but there is no workaround: it is what it is for us end users. If your printer/plotter has the ability, adding more RAM to the device or a harddrive seems to help, as does having the fastest possible connection to that device, and as always, good processor speed on your computer with sufficient RAM.

Autodesk and possibly your printer manufacturer would both have to re-write the core code for their programs/drivers to fix it. So not in any version shipping now.

What are you plotting to? Using what driver? method of connection to the device? some drivers offer some relief, most do not. maybe someone here can offer some tips.

Contributor
ehoskinson
Message 7 of 7 (906 Views)

06-29-2012 07:10 AM in reply to: ehoskinson

Dean,

Thank you for our help.  You have be outstanding, as usual.  Yes it is disappointing that there isn't a 'work-aound', but thanks again for your efforts.

Eric

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube