AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

freemanjames2222
Message 81 of 96 (1,104 Views)

Re: AutoCAD support for Linux becoming a major management decision issue

06-10-2013 09:58 AM in reply to: colnelb

Autodesk Simulation 360 came out around the same time as Autodesk Simulation Solvers for Linux. 

I don't think Autodesk 360 running on bare metal.

sokolovicnikola
Message 82 of 96 (725 Views)

12-11-2013 06:01 AM in reply to: TravisNave

Yeah, sure. And when valid cost-benefit-analysis is proven, Autodesk will develop Linux version over night, without bugs etc?
When Linux market grows (and that will happen) Autodesk will already be late because Linux users will get used to some other developed CAD product like Draftsight (which currently is not Autodesk competitor but it will be).

BTW Autodesk 360 is darn slow. At least with the 8Mbps internet.

rposty
Message 83 of 96 (320 Views)

04-14-2014 02:54 PM in reply to: TravisNave
I hear you, but work in a small laser job shop that can't afford new updated equipment every year. some of our stuff runs on Dos 6.22. Every time Microsoft drops there support and forces us to a newer OS which is never compatible to our older equipment, it is a big pain in the *autocad edit*. Going from Windows XP to windows 8 is not going to work for us, so we are stuck with an unsupported OS. So we are going to migrate to linux, or at least try to. So now that Autocad LT 2014, which we paid big $ for is not compatible with Linux, we are now looking for Linux friendly CAD software.

Good Job Autodesk, way to be there for your customers. You can't tell me that it isn't worth your while, there is a lot of Linux users. Obviously Microsoft is your Pimp.

I wouldn't be so mad at Microsft if there upgrades would have a true compatibility mode (like getting a USB-LPT1 adapter to work like in XP on the hard port, so the software dongles would work.
mreff555
Message 84 of 96 (151 Views)

06-06-2014 07:08 PM in reply to: TravisNave

Seriously?

You are dealing with two entirely separate markets. You cannot compare Mac users to Linux users. Peope use Mac because its shiny, popular and expensive. Peope that use Linux do so because it is not only Free and incredibly powerful, the only downside is that there isn't enough commercial manufacturers that are convinced that it is staying around. The only thing keeping Linux from being a mainstream operating system is commercial manufacturers refusing to port their software.

As an engineer who solely uses linux on his home system I cannot even begin to express my frustration that there aren't any commmercial CAD manufacturers porting their software to linux.

Before the idea is blatently shot down, think about what kind of advantage a piece of software would have if it were the first of it's type, ported to linux.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 85 of 96 (140 Views)

06-07-2014 07:42 AM in reply to: mreff555
>>>...As an engineer who solely uses linux on his home system ...<<<
Your choice. It's a free world. Enjoy it.
>>>...aren't any commmercial CAD manufacturers porting their software to linux...<<<
Their Choice. it's a free world. They are enjoying it.

LibreCAD, QCAD, BRL-CAD (BricsCAD), ARES and DRAFTSIGHT are the current big players in your space. Explore them and enjoy your chosen OS.
Otherwise it would appear you are seriously regreting LINUX and looking at other pastures to roam in.
Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
mreff555
Message 86 of 96 (137 Views)

06-07-2014 10:02 AM in reply to: pendean
And I suppose it would be their choice to discontinue their windows product as we'll.
congratulations on being complacent since this doesn't affect you. The fact is 94% of servers and an exponentially increasing number of desktops run Linux. Every day more professional applications are ported to Linux. It's only a matter of time before the scale tips and companies, not in board fall by the wayside.

Sent from my iPhone
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 87 of 96 (134 Views)

06-07-2014 11:47 AM in reply to: mreff555
Life is full of choices, for you and for everyone else. No one owes you anything and you owe them nothing is return.
>>..Every day more professional applications are ported to Linux..<<
Exactly: time is all it takes. It's not time yet for some companies. So where is the problem, your impatience? No one cares about that. Sorry.
Contributor
colnelb
Message 88 of 96 (128 Views)

06-07-2014 03:37 PM in reply to: rposty

As an engineer and project manager with a history of doing proof of concept and startup technology development, when putting together a proposed budget, I have to look at the cost of integration as well as the cost of software from different vendors.  Because of security concerns and product costs over long term, many are moving away from Microsoft toward Linux.  (It is as if Microsoft is deliberately pricing themselves out of the market.)  When I look at the preferred physical process modeling software, I find that it supports Linux. When I look at the perferred CAD software, I find that not only is it costly, but it does not support Linux.  In looking at budget proposals, I am now looking at good Linux alternatives that will integrate with the perferred physical modeling software.  This is a budget proposal for the third quarter of this year.  How many years will it take to migrate the graphics modeling fo AutoCAD to a Linux platform through OpenGL?  How many budget proposals will AutoCAD miss out on because of the time it will take to port to Linux support?  How much of an expanding market will AutoCAD NOT be a player in?  How much of a shrinking market will AutoCAD have to survive through as there becomes more and more of a back lash against Microsoft marketing and development policies?  The bell is already tolling.

mreff555
Message 89 of 96 (125 Views)

06-07-2014 04:11 PM in reply to: pendean
Your words of wisdom may make sense in some instance, but not here. Of course they have the right to do what they want. That doesn't mean it's smart. By not having commercial cad applications on Linux, a major chunk of the market is missing functionality. I don't care about your ethical ramblings or your undying love for windows. Say what you want but it really needs to happen.

Sent from my iPhone
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 90 of 96 (104 Views)

06-09-2014 05:39 AM in reply to: mreff555

Autodesk is a for-profit organization; a publicly traded company geared to making money for shareholders. So are all the other giant software companies.
AFAIK they do not ignore financial opportunities where possible. No company ever said "we make enough money, let's stop now and skip making more" LOL

So if they are not in your space there is probably a financial reason why. They obviously aren't afraid to rewrite apps for new platforms (AutoCAD for MAC and autocad360 web-only platform plus all the mobile apps for the two major mobile OSs).

There are decent CAD choices for your platform: move there as needed. If and when these major companies decide LINUX is a viable revenue stream for them (not you) I'm sure they all will jump right in.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Connect with AutoCAD

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube